Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install Kali alongside Windows 10. (Partition, MBR, GPT, UEFI)

Question Install Kali alongside Windows 10. (Partition, MBR, GPT, UEFI)

Hi,
    I'm running Windows 10 on a HDD with 2 Primary partitions and 2 Logical partitions. Planning to install Kali Linux from a recently official .iso downloaded image. at first I separated 20 G from partitions (20 G un-allocated space at the end). tried to make a partition out of this for Kali with Windows disk management tool, error occurred "max number of partitions", searched for reason and found out my HDD is MBR and I should convert it to GPT, I did convert with Easeus tool, after that a message from Easeus on-boot operation told me i should set my BIOS firmware on UEFI to be able use my GPT HDD, i did set , and during Kali installation got a message it cant be installed on UEFI HDD!!! and now I'm stucked in here and don't know what should i do. any help will be appreciated.

Can you show the screenshot of your /bootable USB?

Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    Can you show the screenshot of your /bootable USB?
    bootable USB?
    which USB? there is no USB in process, Installing Kali from a DVD into a HDD alongside Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by armin.t View Post
    bootable USB?
    which USB? there is no USB in process, Installing Kali from a DVD into a HDD alongside Windows.
    That's why i was wondering why it is telling you that it can't be installed in UEFI. Who uses CD/DVD nowdays. If i were you i would create a bootable USB of kali and add efi files if there were none. Though weekly images of kali-linux are now uploaded with already present efi boot files. It was only original 2016.2 kai-linux image who doesn't have these.

at first i did try with USB (using Universal USB Installer tool), but it didnt boot well, it will stuck before boot menu where there is a sentence containing "...Peter Anvin..." (do you have any idea why is this happened?), after failing to boot with usb i tried DVD which came with problems i wrote earlier at first.
    btw im using an iso image downloaded lately, about 5 days ago, its definitely the last update containing efi boot files, isnt it?

Did you enable Legacy BIOS?

in which part? which type of install process you mean?

From your UEFI settings did you accidentally enable Legacy BIOS?

when my hard is GPT i'll set it on UEFI and when im using MBR i'll set it on Legacy (i should do that, otherwise Windows wont boot up)

There is no need to install kali-linux in MBR partition. You should install it on GPT. Why are you choosing MBR partition for kali? It works on UEFI too.