Thread: Airmon-ng on nethunter does not detect external wifi adapter

Airmon-ng on nethunter does not detect external wifi adapter

Hi, i've been googling for months, but still no solution, here's my situation and problem and what i've tried:

1. I have Nexus 7 2012 tablet
    2. I flashed nethunter onto it using multirom (there's only 1 nethunter for 2012 version, so i used that).
    3. everything seem to working fine, i set the Kali nethunter as primary ROM and deleted secondary one.
    4. I have over 10 wifi adapters, most compatible and used ones I have are:
    Alfa AWUS036N (or NH or NHR, think i have all 3)
    TP-LINK TL-WN722N
    - I've read that those are most compatible with Kali, both adapters work perfectly fine on Kali installed on laptop. I also have BackTrack5 on old laptop and they work perfectly fine there too.
    5. So when i connect either adapter via OTG cable to my Nexus 7 tablet and do the following:
    - run terminal > Kali
    - i type in lsubs and get:
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 148f:3070 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2870/RT3070 Wireless Adapter
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    - If i disconnect the adapter, then both Bus 002 disappears, while the first one remains (why both disappear, isn't the middle one my card?? why does last entry disappear?)

So anyway, here's the problem, when i run airmon-ng with or without plugging the card in, I get only:
    phy0 p2p0 ?????? unable to detect for sdio 0x02d0:0x4330
    phy0 wlan0 ?????? unable to detect for sdio 0x02d0:0x4330

regardless if i unplug or plug in the wireless cards, results are always same, while using lsusb I see the cards just fine, so because of that, I can't put the card in monitor mode.
    I have literally googled for months and found nothing useful, some say the entire kali is broken and suggested to use some nightly grouper, but i have no idea what it is, where to get it or how to install it. I'm not a linux user, i've been using Kali from the BackTrack times, but only to mess around with networks.

NOTE - I'm using a non y-cable, It's a OTG cable and the LIGHT on the adapter turns ON, so that indicates that it gets enough power, yes?

I have seen some people saying drivers are missing, but even BackTrack3 had drivers for those adapters, so why did they get removed? I think those people are wrong, but some say "blah blah blah i blahhed here and then installed driver apt-get and blah blah and it worked" but sorry, i don't understand those people, too confusing to read out what they did exactly.

I also read that turning off the wireless optimization helps, but it's already off on mine, did not work.

Some also say something like "blah blah copy your driver from chroot folder to your firmware folder blah blah and it works" but that doesn't tell me anything either, i have no idea what this means or what is chroot folder or firmware folder, there are no specific steps.

Can someone please explain this issue and if there's a known fix that actually works? Thanks.

Hey, I went through a similiar problem with my nexus 6. Not to insult your intelligence, but have you tried a different cable? Kali definitely comes with the drivers to run those cards, I know the 722N uses the ath_9k or something similiar, which you should be able to find in your system. I would ignore the people telling you to download the files. What method for install did you use? Does running iwconfig and ifconfig show your card?

i have a 2012 nexus with nethunter installed and had some similar problems. I ended up replacing my charging port. Even after i replaced it i had issues with my card being seen. it would show up in usb-devices but not with any network commands. what worked for me was doing a full clean install for kali. Not with multirom and not over my custom rom. i flashed back to complete stock 5.1 with a FULL wipe, even internal storage then i installed twrp rooted and installed nethunter. i then did ip link set wlan1 up and rebooted my device with card plugged in. i cant remember if i had to do that once or twice i do use a y cable and it charges my device and runs the adapter just fine if you plug it in the right way and turn y cable charging service on in nethunter app. I now have pwnpad installed on my nexus because i have nethunter on my shield tablet.
    ~FReEDumB~

i have a nexus 6 with android 6.0.1 MMB29k with nethunter installed and had some similar problems alfa awus036nh connected light on
    iwconfig usb0 no wireless extensions
    work perfect with pineapple nano

Quote Originally Posted by BlAd373 View Post
    i have a nexus 6 with android 6.0.1 MMB29k with nethunter installed and had some similar problems alfa awus036nh connected light on
    iwconfig usb0 no wireless extensions
    work perfect with pineapple nano
    have you tried your pineapple on any other nexus? i'm having some problem to get it to work on N10 and N4 with TL-WN722N and AWUS036NEH

Quote Originally Posted by donThomaso View Post
    have you tried your pineapple on any other nexus? i'm having some problem to get it to work on N10 and N4 with TL-WN722N and AWUS036NEH
    yes it's work perfect

Quote Originally Posted by BlAd373 View Post
    yes it's work perfect
    have you tried it with nexus 10 or nexus 4?

Quote Originally Posted by mordax View Post
    Hi, i've been googling for months, but still no solution, here's my situation and problem and what i've tried:

Can someone please explain this issue and if there's a known fix that actually works? Thanks.
    In my experience, with OnePlus One, airmon-ng not recognising the adapter doesn't matter. I can put the card into monitor mode with the command
    Code:
    ifconfig wlan1 down
    iwconfig wlan1 mode monitor
    ifconfig wlan1 up
    it works and my adapter starts blinking rapidly. Kali Linux nightly rom, nightly kernel, make sure you have done
    Code:
    apt-get install firmware-realtek

airmon-ng start wlan2
    Work 2.

the problem is in youre kernel. flash custom kernel supported nethunter