Thread: Dual Boot Kali 2016.2 Windows10 - Failed to copy file from CD-ROM. Retry?

Dual Boot Kali 2016.2 Windows10 - Failed to copy file from CD-ROM. Retry?

After being successful booting the USB Kali 2016.2 (amd64) on a dual Windows 10 attempt, I found out that I cannot mounted on the cdrom. I received continuously the error "Failed to copy file from CD-ROM. Retry?"

I tried to install Kali 2016.2 amd64 in two different laptops:
    Current laptops:
    HP Pavilion
    Lenovo Thinkpad T450

Current Software:
    Windows 10
    Installing Kali 2016.2 amd 64 (64 bits)

The USB driver boots correctly, I can select language, location and keyboard, later when it tries to start the installation the system informs "Failed to copy file from CD-ROM. Retry?". Therefore, I selected the option to execute a Shell.
    I execute the following commands:
    # blkid --> To find out which is the correct driver to use
    # mount /dev/sdXX /cdrom --> It mounts the driver
    The type of the USB driver is iso9660
    and even the cdrom is correctly detected and successfully checked for integrity.

It keeps saying always showing "Failed to copy file from CD-ROM. Retry?'" while trying to install again

If I follow the steps that some people recommend to unplug and plug again the USB driver, the /dev of the USB driver changes and cannot be accessible anymore. Mounting again the /cdrom keeps the same error.

As I cannot access to the partitions, I could deduct (maybe I am wrong) that there is an incompatibility between the partition of my HD (ntfs) and my USB driver (iso9660, not readable in windows)

Could anyone help me? Thank you very much

On the installer return to the main menu, execute a shell and enter:

mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /cdrom

Note, if this doesn't work, trying switching the USB drive to a different USB port and re-detect CD-ROM

i have the same problem help we please the difference is i use a virtual machine

Quote Originally Posted by ibobafett View Post
    On the installer return to the main menu, execute a shell and enter:

mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /cdrom

Note, if this doesn't work, trying switching the USB drive to a different USB port and re-detect CD-ROM
    This isnt working for me, my USB is sdb1, as shown with blkid, when i type "mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /cdrom i get mount: /dev/sdb1 on /cdrom failed: invalid argument. I have a cdrom listed in ls, but I dont know what to do now that I keep getting this error. I am using a rather older 8bg PNY usb stick. Thanks in advance!

-8bollio

Don't pause the download a number of times, this may be the error , some file in it is corrupted during the download , so it says unable to copy the particular file.
    Try redownloading the package at a stretch. It will help you.

After getting message to rescan for CD unplug and plug back USB, and then rescan. It worked for me, although I blew up install somewhere else, got stuck on boot meny for devices...

OK I only got 20 hours sleep last week working on this same problem.

1. Create a bootable USB image with Rufus in Windows 10 and make sure you select DD image and NOT ISO image, when you select DD it wont see the ISO file because it is looking for a different file type, just select "All files" then select the correct ISO file.

2. Boot from the USB and choose Graphic Install.

3. Make sure you connect to the Internet during the install using Ethernet or wifi and allow the package manager to setup correctly with mirrors etc.

4. If you are new to Linux then using Windows 10 Disk manager to delete some space on the HD you intend installing Kali on before installing, You can do the same in Kali during the install but it is text based and not as easy to see what is going on if you have more than one HD. If you create some free space in Windows 10 before you install Kali, then you can just Choose "Use all available free space" during the Kali install and you don't need to read a million manuals.

5. When the install finishes it will detect the "Windows 10" on your disk as "Windows Vista" and ask you whether you want to dual boot with Windows Vista, choose the Windows Vista and you are good to go.

I did at least 10 clean installs from the Kali USB Image for dual boot with Windows 10, the only ones that worked 100 percent were with a DD image and where the Internet was found and package manager configured during installation. When I installed this way I was ale to do all the tutorials without any problems.

It took me about one day to figure out why it didn't work, I just used Win32Disk app instead of Rufus for creating my bootable USB.
    It might sound a bit weird but this is how it worked with me .

I having the same problem with windows 10, using Vm workstation and attempting to boot kali 2018.1 from my usb. The error message "file does not support large files"?

Please help

I am using a lenovo G50

Quote Originally Posted by JUMPKING View Post
    I having the same problem with windows 10, using Vm workstation and attempting to boot kali 2018.1 from my usb. The error message "file does not support large files"?

Please help

I am using a lenovo G50
    What tool did you use to create bootable USB?