Thread: Can't "dist-upgrade" & can't update my linux headers

Exclamation Can't "dist-upgrade" & can't update my linux headers

Hi all,
    I have 2 big problems but I just need to solve one to get the other solved too.

My first problem:
    come out when I run a distribution upgrade of my Kali. On the startup I get something like "Warning CPU clock set on future" and the system start posting message about CPU timing ecc so the kernel doesn't load and the OS doesn't start.
    I think maybe this is a problem of my CPU. Anyone have an idea about that?

The second problem:
    I can use Kali without upgrade the distribution as well.. No problem... but... these are my system specifics:
    4.3.0-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.3.3-5kali4 (2016-01-13) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    To run VMware or Virtualbox I need to install the linux-headers-4.3.0-kali1-amd64 but I can'f find them anywhere!
    How can I solve this?
    Searching with "apt search" or "apt-cache search" I only find linux headers for "4.9.0-kali3".... Nothing about "4,3,9-kali1" here and on the net too...

Please just help me to solve one of this problem so I can upgrade the distribution and have new version of kali ecc... or at least use old version and have linux-headers installed so I can use vm-tools ecc...

Ask me which information do u need to solve these problems and maybe tell me how to and where get them in case I don't know how ^^ Also please don't ask me to take the logs of the system when I get the problem with the CPU clock during boot process... Just because I re-installed a lot of time kali to figure out the problem, and to get the logs I need to unistall and re-install it again... But... if u are 100% sure that u can solve the problem with the logs ecc I will re-install it..

Thank you so much!!

Addressing your last comment, we can't fix the issue WITHOUT the logs, and that's why we would ask for the logs. ALWAYS keep the logs. That being said, you will want to "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade" before trying to install the linux headers. The 4.3 kernel isn't in the repository anymore, nor are the headers. The current kernel is somewhere around 4.9 and you will need to be running on it before you can install the headers (so after dist-upgrade is run successfully, you will need to reboot).

Ok so please tell me how I can get out the log if I can't access the machine after the dist-upgrade.
    I will access with kali live, mount the sda6 where is the broken kali and then? Where I can find the logs u need?
    I will post the logs and kill again my OS so ^^

After the dist-upgrade if I reboot my system doesn't start for "any time clock problem" and sector which access is set on the future; I don't remember exactly now.
    I will do the "dist-upgrade" and then I will get out the logs from the broken kali using the live version from my usb.
    But to do that I need to know which logs exactly do u need and where/how I can find them using the live version of kali.
    I hope that I don't need to setup a kernel debugger to help because I just have only 1 computer...

Thank you!

Is anybody out there?
    I took out the logs I can using my Windows partition.
    In this rar files there are all logs I could take out:

http://www.filedropper.com/logslinux

In the files there are:
    dpkg.log
    syslog
    kern.log
    alternatives.log
    dmesg
    Xorg.0.log
    Xorg.0.log.old
    debug
    lastlog
    auth.log
    wtmp
    faillog
    fontconfig.log
    bootstrap.log

I couldn't start the recovery mode of Kali on the 4.9 version and boot with the older version using the "Advanced boot options" on boot screen of kali give me some errors too but I could start it with this advance options just in console mode without GUI.

So... Just because maybe the problem is an incopatibility with my CPU architecture and the OS....
    Can someone try to help me or u will just stay sit down in front of the pc reading this messages?

I don't know why u took away the older linux-headers from the repository if ur new version of Kali is unstable........

Thank u and have a nice day.

One of the error messages that I get when the system boot is:
    AMD-Vi: Completion-Wait Loop timed out

I found that this error was a bug on older versions of Ubuntu:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1073384

But yet I didn't find a way to solve it....

I also tryed to make VMware or VirtualBox to run but I didn't find a way to do that..
    I really need to use a VM because I normally write programs on Kali and test them on Windows through a Virtual Machine.

Thank you...

I tryed again to re-install the SO and do a dist-upgrade but same errors occured.
    I took again the logs using Windows partition.
    These are the logs of my last try:
    http://www.filedropper.com/showdownload.php/linuxlogs

Logs file I could take out are:
    alternatives.log
    auth.log
    daemon.log
    debug
    dpkg.log
    faillog
    fontconfig.log
    kern.log
    lastlog
    user.log
    wtmp
    Xorg.0.log

I also took out "config-4.9.0-kali3-amd64" and added it to the rar file.

I tryed to let the system try to boot after the "AMD-Vi: Completion-Wait Loop timed out" and I saw lines of code talking about STACK error and about a "bug". I couldn't take a screen of the errors or something similar because I can't use the shell when the error occours (the system doesn't boot).
    I also see there is an error about my wi-fi firmware, but I don't have any problem with my wi-fi on the 4.6 kali's version.

Any suggestion?
    I didn't find post about this problem from other people with Kali, I hope that someone will help me to solve this...
    But I think that to solve this problem maybe the system need to be patched so... if nobody want to help me and solve this can u at least give me the linux-headers for my version of Kali and tell me how to install them manually so I can install these headers and solve my problems with the Virtual Machine Softwares?

Thank you again.