Thread: Kali doesn't "load" after GRUB

Kali doesn't "load" after GRUB

Hi,

I have quite a strange problem. I have Kali in Dual boot [Kali, Win10] on my laptop. It worked fine til... Well, this morning.
    When i boot the computer, GRUB start, then I select Kali, it shows a blackscreen with a few lines in terminal font and......... that's it. Nothing. The "login screen" doesn't show up, nothing

May anyone help me please ?

Here are the few lines if needed :
    Code:
    /dev/sda7: clean, 373090/15482880 files, 54878113/61931520 blocks
    [   11.480208] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: priv : HUB0: 10ecc0 ffffffff (1940822c)
    [   12.781718] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: Pointer to TMDS table invalid
    [   12.781742] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: Pointer to flat panel table invalid
    Thank you in advance !

Can you get to a console boot prompt using Ctrl-Alt-F3? If so, that will tell you for sure if Kali is booting.

Might be a video driver issue

Yeah I have a console on Ctrl-Alt-F3, but once I make Ctrl-Alt-F1 it freeze

So yeah must be a video driver issue then how can I fix that ?

First thing is to diagnose the problem as fully as possible. When was the last time it worked? Did it work properly before an upgrade? Can you run Kali in live mode (from DVD or USB) on this machine?

Check the output of dmesg, and /var/log to see what error messages are being written. From there, I'd check your video card information against gnome compatibility online (assuming you're using gnome, and not KDE, or another GUI).

It worked 2 days before my thread
    by "upgrade" you mean typing "apt-get dist-upgrade" ? (something like that, I don't remember the exact command)
    I used to be able to do that, I need to check it now that I have this issue

I'll check all these when I'll be back home. And I'm using the default GUI

I appreciate the speed of your answers, thanks mate !

Right, were things working before you ran apt-get upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade? While I find Kali pretty stable, upgrading can cause problems sometimes. Ok, the default GUI is gnome, so you can google for gnome compatibility against your video card info.

While it's risky, you could try blacklisting the nouveau drivers and see if that helps. Another option that can fix a broken Kali install or missing dependencies is to run apt install kali-linux-full. However, that could cause more problems than it fixes.

You're very welcome!

Hey guys I am hijacking this thread because I have a similar problem. My Kali does not boot anymore, it freezes after grub by the line "cleaning SDA5....". I already reinstalled it 3 times (always took the latest weekly release with GNOME). Then it works, but I don't know for how long. It can be that I can boot it 5 times, or like now, I can only boot it after the installation and if I shut my laptop down and want to reboot it after a day or some hours it can happen that it freezes.

I have dualboot with Windows 8.1, and I cannot get a shell, but I can boot into the recovery mode.
    I also tried to install it and never do a apt-get dist-upgrade, but that didn't work either. That is really annoying since I need it for my work.

Does anybody know how to solve this?

@ZeRoXX, can you boot the Windows partition? Is SDA5 a swap file, or the main Kali partition?

Quote Originally Posted by grid View Post
    @ZeRoXX, can you boot the Windows partition? Is SDA5 a swap file, or the main Kali partition?
    Yes Windows works without a problem. Linux worked also, until about 2 weeks ago where that all started. I also checked the hash of the ISO file I've downloaded
    SDA5 is the main Kali partition.

Try running Kali in live mode from a DVD. Have you verified your hard drive is ok?

@grid: Whenever I reinstalled Kali I livebooted it from USB, used gparted to clear the kali partition and reinstall it with the USB.
    I used Windows to verify my HDD, nothing unusual :/