Thread: Running kali on HP ENVY x2 11-g001tu

Running kali on HP ENVY x2 11-g001tu

Hi,

I have a question. Has anyone got a HP ENVY x2 11-g001tu to boot into kali or any linux for that matter?

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...hgOsUzhTDxO67w

Specs:
    HP ENVY x2 11-g001tu Product Specifications
    Product Name x2 11-g001tu
    Microprocessor 1.8 GHz Intel Atom Z2760 32bit
    Memory On-board 2GB 533MHz LPDDR2 SDRAM
    Video Graphics Intel UMA Shared Graphics
    Display 11.6" diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit IPS Display (1366 x 768)

I have tried everything I could find on the web. I can get it to the 32bit and 64bit iso's boot menu of kali. Any option I pick gives me a blank screen and that is it. Nothing more.

It runs in uefi only and is pre setup with Windows 8. I really want to load kali on it but I can't find anything that has worked before.

Ubuntu has an uefi setup guide and a few other sites but their info does not cover this problem.

Please help if you can.

Regards
    Last edited by Kleinblaar; 2017-03-16 at 10:44.

- "Secure boot" is already disabled (in UEFI System Settings)?
    - Use Rufus and the GPT-Partition-Scheme for UEFI to get Kali on the stick.
    - Disable Fast Startup if using Windows 10.

Secure boot is disabled, fast startup is disabled, and I used rufus with gpt partitioning for uefi to load both 32bit and 64bit kali iso onto usb. I get the kali menu but anything I select goes to a black screen and stays there.

I would suggest reading this thread: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2136763
    No, it's not specifically about your laptop but it's similar and you can find a lot of useful information

p.s. Silly suggestion but how about you erase those partitions where you want to put Kali and then retry it again? We all know from bad experience that starting from scratch is better than overwriting.
    Last edited by martimarti; 2017-03-16 at 20:42.

I have gone through the process for the above link and through the links they go to. I got as far as they did and that is to boot to the usb boot menu (kali or ubuntu). I do not feel comfortable deleting the current OS and partitions until I can boot to the live environment. I can't see how deleting the partitions will enable it to boot to the live environment or the try ubuntu session. It just gives a blank screen and cant even get to the installer. I plan to delete the partitions from within the installer when I install the OS. Currently I can't get to start the installer or safe boot. I will however try to shrink the current partition tonight to have some unpartitioned space. Would be very weird if that makes a difference.

Well, shrinked the partition to make space for an install as per the other threads available on this issue and still the same as I expected. Boots to usb grub menu but anything I choose gives me a blank screen and pc freezes. Any other ideas?

Hi,

Anyone thought of any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Kleinblaar View Post
    Hi,

Anyone thought of any other ideas?
    Update your BIOS.