Thread: Package Manager for Kali

Red face Package Manager for Kali

I have two question here ...

Does Kali have package manager like synaptic or Ubuntu Software Center in Ubuntu?

How to install synaptic in Kali?

kali already have package manager. just in "system tools > add/remove software".

if you want to install synaptic,just install it.
    apt-get install synaptic

You do not need synaptic, you have the terminal and aptitude command.

Try to use terminal, it is more powerfull as well as aptitude...Read the "man aptitude"..Just check it..

No "XXXXX Software Center", sorry. Forget Ubuntu, this is Debian my friend..No "ppa:" or launchpad either.

Luck.

Dumb noob question: does "apt-get update" actually perform an update or does it just 'retrieve new lists of packages' (as stated when I ran: apt-get --help)? In other words, do I have do anything *after* running "apt-get update" to install the new updates?

5. tiger1, No such thing as a dumb question (well there is really, but your question is actually a valid one)

apt-get update downloads the package lists from the repositories and "updates" them to get information on the newest versions of packages and their dependencies. It will do this for all repositories and PPAs. From http://linux.die.net/man/8/apt-get:
    Used to re-synchronize the package index files from their sources. The indexes of available packages are fetched from the location(s) specified in /etc/apt/sources.list(5). An update should always be performed before an upgrade or dist-upgrade.
    apt-get upgrade will fetch new versions of packages existing on the machine if APT knows about these new versions by way of apt-get update.
    Used to install the newest versions of all packages currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated in /etc/apt/sources.list(5). Packages currently installed with new versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no circumstances are currently installed packages removed, nor are packages that are not already installed retrieved and installed. New versions of currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without changing the install status of another package will be left at their current version. [Emphasis mine] An update must be performed first so that apt-get knows that new versions of packages are available.
    apt-get dist-upgrade will do the same job which is done by apt-get upgrade, plus it will also intelligently handle the dependencies, so it might remove obsolete packages or add new ones.
    In addition to performing the function of upgrade, this option also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less important ones, if necessary. The /etc/apt/sources.list(5) file contains a list of locations from which to retrieve desired package files. See also apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism for over-riding the general settings for individual packages.
    You can combine commands with && as follows:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update&&sudo apt-get install foo bar baz foo-dev foo-dbg
    or to get newest versions possible as per version requirements of dependencies:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update&&sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    -- These are not my words but someone by the name of ObsessiveSSOℲ, I found his explanation quite informative.
    Fact, Science and the Pursuit of Knowledge. Working to secure your networks from threats; Outside and Within.

Thanks for the thorough response, charonsecurity!

So, if I understand correctly, what I want to do is:

1) download the list of available updates using apt-get update
    2) install the updates using apt-get upgrade

and I can combine the commands like this: apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

If I have only done step one above, then I need to do step 2 separately to achieve the desired result of actually installing the latest updates - correct?

Correct. You wont hurt anything by running apt-get update multiple times in a row, (though you will waste 5-20 seconds of your time). All that command does is retrieve an updated package list, as stated above. The same is true for running apt-get upgrade multiple times in a row, it will only perform the upgrade once. It is always good practice to run apt-get update before apt-get upgrade because it will ensure you have the most up to date package list, otherwise apt-get upgrade will use an old package list. Lastly, it is such good practise as to say it is a law to run apt-get update after changing anything in /etc/apt/sources.list, not doing so means that any changes will not be applied.

Thanks, SharkBait.

Quote Originally Posted by akudadang View Post
    kali already have package manager. just in "system tools > add/remove software".

can you help me I'm newbie ,,i work it apt-get install synaptic,,,but i have problem E: pakage synaptic has no instalation candidate....

synaptic is easy to get, I prefer just using Gdebi and organizing you files yourself......there's alot of freedom in doing it that way.

Yea but I personally like synaptic to find files that your not sure what their name is just scroll down a list

can you help me I'm newbie ,,i work it apt-get install synaptic,,,but i have problem E: pakage synaptic has no instalation candidate...
    how shd i change my path to root ?
    Thanks in advance

I was looking for the same answer to installing Synaptic, seems like I had it but it's gone. Instead of 3 persons getting an answer the thread in stonewalled by a jackass "my way or the highway", "just sudo apt-get my dik outta your mouth".... Sorry but not everyone wants to use same method as you, it's not any less valid or make someone a "lessor Kali user", like the noob above said it provides (at least for me) a way to browse, read descriptions, and LEARN about software I didn't even know existed. God forbid you even mis-spell while apt-get installing let alone just try to seek something in the SDR field and not know what is available in that field.... We get it, you are "hard core BRO" you change TV channels with command line from your rooted android device running BlackArch, but could someone else maybe help us weak mortals find how to install Synaptic? apt-get is not working. Thank you in advance

Please Fixed For me

Quote Originally Posted by akudadang View Post

root@roots:~# apt-get install synaptic
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Package synaptic is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source

E: Package 'synaptic' has no installation candidate

There is no god but You're Glory I oppressors

hello check your.. etc/apt/sources.list file compare to http://docs.kali.org/general-use/kal...t-repositories

:~# apt-get install synaptic
    Building dependency tree
    synaptic is already the newest version.

Quote Originally Posted by much_hustle View Post
    I was looking for the same answer to installing Synaptic, seems like I had it but it's gone. Instead of 3 persons getting an answer the thread in stonewalled by a jackass "my way or the highway", "just sudo apt-get my dik outta your mouth".... Sorry but not everyone wants to use same method as you, it's not any less valid or make someone a "lessor Kali user", like the noob above said it provides (at least for me) a way to browse, read descriptions, and LEARN about software I didn't even know existed. God forbid you even mis-spell while apt-get installing let alone just try to seek something in the SDR field and not know what is available in that field.... We get it, you are "hard core BRO" you change TV channels with command line from your rooted android device running BlackArch, but could someone else maybe help us weak mortals find how to install Synaptic? apt-get is not working. Thank you in advance
    Man, thank you! Tried to uninstall some stuff I (think) i don't need to make same space, but the apt-get auto/remove want to uninstall other stuff that sounds important so ... i'm in the dark. You can't read about 100pakages that have 1000 dependencies - time is money. Software these days (for some ppl) is just something to make it easy BECAUSE they don't have time anymore reading all the --man's ... So yes, if you want to help just help, if not ... quiet?

Anyway...still haven't figure a way to uninstall stuff like arduino or bluetooth alone

Hi,

I've installed Synaptic PM, but the problem is that download is very slow. Now, on Ubuntu for example, you can select server country, while on Kali you cannot. Is there any solution for a faster downloading speed with Synaptic PM??

Regards

Code:
    root@kali:~# apt-get install synaptic
    Building dependency tree       

root@kali:~#
    what now? help please. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by martimarti View Post
    Code:
    root@kali:~# apt-get install synaptic
    Building dependency tree       

root@kali:~#
    what now? help please. thanks
    Read post 15

dude ,
    its seems to be problem with your source list.... follow the link and check it out : https://www.blackmoreops.com/2015/08...-repositories/

hi i am new to kali linux i installed kali linux but in my application is not showing system tools > add/remove software and i installed wifiphisher also not showing appilcation