Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you boot Kali Linux from a flash drive on a UEFI system

Question How do you boot Kali Linux from a flash drive on a UEFI system

I've been trying to get Kali Linux to boot on my Acer Switch One SW1-011 from a flash drive but every time I try to boot it boots into windows instead. I've tried the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Kali Linux 2016.2 and moved the EFI folder from the efi.img file to the drive and it still doesn't boot. I use Rufus to image the iso to the flash drive with the partition scheme MBR and 7zip to get the EFI file from efi.img.

You must be using 2016.2 original image which doesn't come with efi files to boot kali in UEFI. Yeah you have to MANUALLY create a folder EFI>BOOT>efi files for this image. If you find this step confusing then You don't have to do this. You should use kali weekly image. It is the latest kali image and currently it is Week 12 image. You will be able to choose GPT partition scheme for UEFI in rufus. Make sure Secure BOOT is disabled.

kali weekly image

Quote Originally Posted by Iamaboard26 View Post
    I've been trying to get Kali Linux to boot on my Acer Switch One SW1-011 from a flash drive but every time I try to boot it boots into windows instead. I've tried the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Kali Linux 2016.2 and moved the EFI folder from the efi.img file to the drive and it still doesn't boot. I use Rufus to image the iso to the flash drive with the partition scheme MBR and 7zip to get the EFI file from efi.img.
    mehn...i have the same issue!, i was using kali 2.0, usually after windows update grub hides, i'll have to use boot repair disk to bring grub back. unfortunately after the anniversary update or whateva they call that crap, it didnt work anymore so i decided to get kali 2016 rolling. but still doesnt boot. according to what i read online kali doesnt have EFI support, i tried the examples i saw online of creating the efi folder. still didnt work, please if u know any better method that works i'll appreciate.
    using a Lenovo ideapad 100.

Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    You must be using 2016.2 original image which doesn't come with efi files to boot kali in UEFI. Yeah you have to MANUALLY create a folder EFI>BOOT>efi files for this image. If you find this step confusing then You don't have to do this. You should use kali weekly image. It is the latest kali image and currently it is Week 12 image. You will be able to choose GPT partition scheme for UEFI in rufus. Make sure Secure BOOT is disabled.

kali weekly image
    please if u dont mind can u try explaining the creating folder part and where would u get the efi files from? tho am downloading the weekly image already and hoping it works. but all the same i'll like to know.

If you open kali weekly image, you will notice a folder named efi. Inside the folder there is a sub-folder named boot. It contains bootia32.efi and bootx64.efi. These are boot files by which UEFI recognizes the image during boot. This folder is not present in original kali 2016.2, you have to copy that folder manually in it. Weekly image is better.

If you open kali weekly image, you will notice a folder named efi. Inside the folder there is a sub-folder named boot. It contains bootia32.efi and bootx64.efi. These are boot files by which UEFI recognizes the image during boot. This folder is not present in original kali 2016.2, you have to copy that folder manually in it. Weekly image is better.
    wow....cool...i'll try it out once am done downloading. network is very poor here. tnx

successfully downloaded the weekly image, runs fine and looks much more better, it gets to installation of grub and fails saying cannot install grub to dummy this is a fatal error, searched google already, non of the solutions have worked so far. well i'll keep digging and see what i can find. incase u've encountered similar issues please let me know how you were able to conquer.

It's because grub is already there in your EFI boot partition though it must be corrupted or not configured to boot kali. You can reinstall grub using these commands.

You can re-install grub by booting into kali live USB. Here is the list of commands you need to enter-

mount /dev/sda* /mnt
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/boot/efi (why did you skip this command?)
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot/efi
    mkdir /mnt/hostrun (skip this command)
    mount --bind /run /mnt/hostrun
    chroot /mnt
    mount --bind /hostrun/lvm /run/lvm
    grub-install /dev/sdb (/dev/sdb is the name of your hard drive)
    update-grub
    exit
    umount /mnt/dev
    umount /mnt/proc
    umount /mnt/sys
    umount /mnt/boot/efi
    umount /mnt
    Last edited by _defalt; 2017-04-10 at 06:36 PM.

It's because grub is already there in your EFI boot partition though it must be corrupted or not configured to boot kali. You can reinstall grub using these commands.

You can re-install grub by booting into kali live USB. Here is the list of commands you need to enter-
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda* /mnt
    sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    sudo mount /dev/sda** /mnt/boot/efi
    sudo chroot /mnt
    grub-install /dev/sda
    exit
    sudo umount /mnt/dev
    sudo umount /mnt/proc
    sudo umount /mnt/sys
    sudo umount /mnt/boot/efi
    sudo umount /mnt
    Replace * in sudo mount /dev/sda* /mnt with your linux partition assigned value.
    Replace ** in sudo mount /dev/sda** /mnt/boot/efi with your EFI partition assigned value.
    Use fdisk -l to list all partitions.
    i saw this solution all over the net, even after the running the commands successfully, still doesn't work boots str8 to windows.
    i tried to install ubuntu and it worked although i had to goto my bios and rearrange the boot order, and ran update-grub. and it works very well now. so i guess i'll try again if it still doesnt work, then i'll leave ubuntu and kali so i can use ubuntus grub.

Thanks alot for your quick response, i really appreciate it.

At the command
    grub-install /dev/sda
    It says :
    Installing grub for x86_64-efi platform.
    Could not prepare boot variable : no such file or directory.
    grub-install : error: efibootmgr failed to register the boot entry : Input/output error.