Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [TUTORIAL] Installing official NVIDIA driver in Optimus laptop

Quote Originally Posted by itzo View Post
    Hi,
    I just installed the NVIDIA-Driver on my Notebook. All is working okay but i tryed to install Steam and now i am becoming the error: You are missing the following 32 bit libraries, and Steam may not run:libgl.so.1. Any Ideas ?
    For all the users with the same problem, this helped me: apt install nvidia-driver-libs:i386

Hello,

First thank you for your tutorial, it lightens a lot of the obscure procedure for installing Kali!
    However...but unfortunately it seems it doesn't work on my macbook (MacBook Pro 6,2).

From one side it seems that the integrated Intel graphics doesn't work well

[] intel ips 0000:00:1f.6: failed to get i915 symbols, graphics turbo disabled
    [] intel ips 0000:00:1f.6: request ire failed, aborted

on the other hand it seems that the NVIDIA GT330M discrete graphic card doesn't work too. I followed your procedure and at the second step by blacklisting nouveau drivers, Kali cannot arrive until the login page (while before it freeze after the login).
    By installing legacy drivers (the newest don't support GT330M) Kali blocks as well...

If I list the available devices however I can see both the GPU, Intel and Nvidia.

I am running out of ideas, do you have any?

Quote Originally Posted by fnails View Post
    Hello,

First thank you for your tutorial, it lightens a lot of the obscure procedure for installing Kali!
    However...but unfortunately it seems it doesn't work on my macbook (MacBook Pro 6,2).

From one side it seems that the integrated Intel graphics doesn't work well

[] intel ips 0000:00:1f.6: failed to get i915 symbols, graphics turbo disabled
    [] intel ips 0000:00:1f.6: request ire failed, aborted

on the other hand it seems that the NVIDIA GT330M discrete graphic card doesn't work too. I followed your procedure and at the second step by blacklisting nouveau drivers, Kali cannot arrive until the login page (while before it freeze after the login).
    By installing legacy drivers (the newest don't support GT330M) Kali blocks as well...

If I list the available devices however I can see both the GPU, Intel and Nvidia.

I am running out of ideas, do you have any?
    I have no idea about Macbook ecosystem.I've tried it on regular laptops only.Are you sure your GPU is supported by the Nvidia drvier?Because it seems very old card.Optmius was very different back then.My Guide is for muxless system only.Since your laptop is old,i think its muxed.
    Last edited by TiGER511; 2017-12-14 at 10:22.

Hello Forum,

Just registered to send my regards to the OP for this tutorial.
    I've been trying to activate my nVidia graphics without any results, but it finally works following the steps of this tutorial.
    Thank you OP!
    And thanks to the forum in general for your contribution.

Best regards,
    Elias

Just registered to say this.. I've got a Dell Inspiron 15 gaming laptop GTX 1050 i5-7300HQ. I did all the steps got to step 5 and nothing worked. The PCI wouldn't show. sat on it for 30 mins... ran back through the suggestions. I figured well wipe it and start again. Upon purge nvidia** i booted back into the login screen logged in had a hunch.. and bam it worked.. lol i literally really dont know what i did besides just wipe the apt-get install nvidia-driver nvidia-xconfig install and reboot into the login. I hope that helps anyone. If you've got questions I can try to help trace my steps and hope they help you. Thanks for the info OP'er.

So, I ran through all the steps on the tutorial, but looks like I'm still having an issue.

As it starts to boot, I get [FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules, and then it runs through some other checks and stops on [OK] Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes.

Can't get into a terminal from here. Thoughts on what to do?

EDIT: Post finally got approved, so let me give you some more info.
    I was able to purge the Nvidia drivers and get back to where I started, and here's everything I noticed.

First off it's an MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro Laptop
    Nvidia GTX 1060 Geforce graphics
    i7-7700HQ Processor
    16GB RAM

Whenever I use
    update-initramfs -u
    or
    apt-get install nvidia-driver nvidia-xconfig

At the end I get hit with
    "WARNING: Setting CRYPTSETUP in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf is deprecated and will stop working in the future. Use /etc/cryptsetup-initramfs/conf-hook instead."

And upon using
    nvidia-xconfig --query-gpu-info | grep 'BusID : ' | cut -d ' ' -f6
    I get an error stating it can't query the GPU, but it shows up in lspci

And then if I run through the whole tutorial I'm hit with the error I mentioned at the top of the post. Does Kali just not like to place nice with the 1060? I've looked around the forums and it seems the people having the same issue all have the same graphics card as I.
    Last edited by DoctorSpace; 2018-01-05 at 15:20. Reason: adding info

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaXMagnus View Post
    Just registered to say this.. I've got a Dell Inspiron 15 gaming laptop GTX 1050 i5-7300HQ. I did all the steps got to step 5 and nothing worked. The PCI wouldn't show. sat on it for 30 mins... ran back through the suggestions. I figured well wipe it and start again. Upon purge nvidia** i booted back into the login screen logged in had a hunch.. and bam it worked.. lol i literally really dont know what i did besides just wipe the apt-get install nvidia-driver nvidia-xconfig install and reboot into the login. I hope that helps anyone. If you've got questions I can try to help trace my steps and hope they help you. Thanks for the info OP'er.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorSpace View Post
    So, I ran through all the steps on the tutorial, but looks like I'm still having an issue.

As it starts to boot, I get [FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules, and then it runs through some other checks and stops on [OK] Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes.

I was able to purge the Nvidia drivers and get back to where I started, and here's everything I noticed.

i7-7700HQ Processor
    16GB RAM

Whenever I use
    update-initramfs -u
    or

"WARNING: Setting CRYPTSETUP in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf is deprecated and will stop working in the future. Use /etc/cryptsetup-initramfs/conf-hook instead."

And upon using

And then if I run through the whole tutorial I'm hit with the error I mentioned at the top of the post. Does Kali just not like to place nice with the 1060? I've looked around the forums and it seems the people having the same issue all have the same graphics card as I.
    I think there is a problem with Pascal GPUs in Linux.Try the latest 390 Driver and let me know how it goes:
    http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...x/128743/en-us

Please attach screenshot/picture/logs if you are having problems.

To the OP i just wanted to say THANK YOU so mch for sharing. i probably reinstalled kali 10 times in the process of getting the nvidia drivers working before i stumbled upon this page.

1. Why four processes are shown with the command nvidia-smi ?

two /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg and two /usr/bin/gnome-shell ?

2. Is there a way to switch from the Intel chip to the Nvidia chip (not necessarily dynamically)? I personally tried bumblebee but I couldn't get the Nvidia module unloaded.

3. Are there any configurations to apply to reduce GPU power consumption in portable mode?

Thx
    Last edited by Ekynox360; 2018-01-27 at 21:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekynox360 View Post
    1. Why four processes are shown with the command nvidia-smi ?

two /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg and two /usr/bin/gnome-shell ?

2. Is there a way to switch from the Intel chip to the Nvidia chip (not necessarily dynamically)? I personally tried bumblebee but I couldn't get the Nvidia module unloaded.

3. Are there any configurations to apply to reduce GPU power consumption in portable mode?

Thx
    1) There is always duplicate xorg adn gnome-shell process in nvidia-smi .I myself is looking for an explanation of this.

2) If you install nvidia driver driver by this tutorial,it wil always use nvidia chip.If you want to use intel chip later on without uninstalling nvidia,i think it is possible,but it will be a lot of hassle.

3) To reduce power consumption ,you can turn off Nvidia GPU altogther with ACPI.

Quote Originally Posted by TiGER511 View Post

3) To reduce power consumption ,you can turn off Nvidia GPU altogther with ACPI.
    I didn't find the way to blacklist nvidia drivers.

bbswitch: device 0000:01:00.0 is in use by driver 'nvidia', refusing OFF

I run 384.111.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekynox360 View Post
    I didn't find the way to blacklist nvidia drivers.

bbswitch: device 0000:01:00.0 is in use by driver 'nvidia', refusing OFF

I run 384.111.
    You need to uninstall all drivers for nvidia,blacklist nouveau, and make sure you are currently on intel driver only.then you can run acpi command to switch it off completely.there are lots of tutorial on the internet on how to switch of gpu with acpi.

[CONFIRMATION] It works on Kali Linux 2018.1

Hi guys,

This is my first post and just tried the solution on the below configuration without having any issues. I normally used another solution but TiGER511's one is better and takes less time which I thank him for and give him the credit for being useful. I mention that I did most part from the terminal, NO GUI. I personally thought it was safer.

Anyway, good luck with everything and have a marvelous weekend!

HARDWARE
    Laptop ACER Predator Helio 300 17inch / Series PH317-51-78R9
    Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz

SYSTEM
    Linux 4.14.0-kali3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.14.13-1kali1 (2018-01-25) x86_64 GNU/Linux

VERSION

Code:
    DISTRIB_ID=Kali
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=kali-rolling
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=kali-rolling
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Kali GNU/Linux Rolling"
    PRETTY_NAME="Kali GNU/Linux Rolling"
    NAME="Kali GNU/Linux"
    ID=kali
    VERSION="2018.1"
    VERSION_ID="2018.1"
    ID_LIKE=debian
    ANSI_COLOR="1;31"
    HOME_URL="http://www.kali.org/"
    SUPPORT_URL="http://forums.kali.org/"
    BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.kali.org/"
    HYBRID GRAPHICS

Code:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 591b (rev 04)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP106M [GeForce GTX 1060] (rev a1)
    RESULT

All working fine, no tearing, no lags, smooth, fonts are better displayed/rendered, you just have to play a bit with your display's refresh rate if it's the case, that's all folks

You have a good tek here and I commend your effort. I successfully installed the nvidia proprietary driver on my system.

I would like to make a few suggestions on edits to your tek that I think are absolutely necessary.

1) You need to tell people that the Proprietary NVIDIA driver ( the .run file) isnt fully compatible with Kali and is not recommended.
    • When
      Code:
      apt-get
      system returns "Nvidia.run conflicts with Kali. Please uninstall. Would you like to do that now?" Tell it 'No' and it hangs.

2) You need to change the part about removing NVIDIA* >>
    Code:
    apt-get remove --purge nvidia*

• Tell people this is potentially dangerous, as it could break graphics ability and aptitude.

• https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=631938
      • see glx-diversions
      • occurs when attempting to reinstall Nvidia drivers/ system crash/ ill configured xorg.conf

• Recommend instead to remove packages individually and make notes of installed pkgs.
      Code:
      apt-get remove --purge nvidia-xconfig nvidia-driver
      Code:
      ocl-icd-libopencl1 nvidia-cuda-toolkit

Im not really sure what I did to cause my issue, but I **** sure tried everything that I could find, so many thats the problem. But either way, I think you should warn people about the possibility of a Black Hole through GLX. This bug has been going on since 2011 and still hasnt been fixed.

But again. Thank you for the tutorial! I gave up and tried things on google and came back here only to find that this was it. My experiments with google are what really got me stuck. This worked, but then I tried to update the xorg.conf on my own and do some other silly **** and ended up in a Black Hole.

Thank you so much for posting guide!

Wanted to say thank you as well! Really appreciate the time and effort into figuring this out.

Works beautifully with Kali 2018.1

First, BIG thanks to @TiGER511

I can confirm it works beautifully with Kali 2018.1

One slight issue in my case:

Step #8:
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep -i "direct rendering"
    gave me the following:
    Code:
    bash: glxinfo: command not found
    Fix:
    Code:
    apt-get install mesa-utils
    WORKING beautifully!!!

Hi,

I used this tutorial a few weeks ago and it worked perfectly on my laptop with a 960M.
    But I had to redo a fresh install, and since, when I get to this step :
    Code:
    I get this error :
    Code:
    ERROR: Unable to query GPU Information
    Do you have any idea ?

Still not using nvidia

Hello Tiger!

Ok first thak you this tutorial, I followed all the steps, got the same results and everything seems to work. But when I need to use hashcat here's what I get :

# hashcat -I
    hashcat (v4.1.0) starting...
    No devices found/left.

And when I use --force it uses the intel GPU

# hashcat -m 2500 -a 3 Desktop/Slimos/slimos.hccapx 69696969 --force
    hashcat (v4.1.0) starting...

OpenCL Platform #1: The pocl project
    ====================================
    * Device #1: pthread-Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, 4096/13816 MB allocatable, 8MCU

I don't understand why it's not working, do you have any clues ? please help!

Thanks,

Hi,

Any possibility to switch between Nvidia GPU and Intel onboard GPU without having to remove the Nvidia stack ?

I would like to be able to use my graphics card only when I need it and therefore disable it when I don't need it.

Thx

Work perfect,
    Really appropriate time you spent on this tutorial.

Fore those needs you can use bumblebee "https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/bumblebee"

Hello

I am also stucked on boot.

I tried use this tutorial on clean Kali 2018.2

Here is my info:
    uname -a

Linux home 4.15.0-kali3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.15.17-1kali1 (2018-04-25) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    cat /etc/*release*

DISTRIB_ID=Kali
    NAME="Kali GNU/Linux"
    ID=kali
    VERSION="2018.2"
    VERSION_ID="2018.2"
    ID_LIKE=debian
    ANSI_COLOR="1;31"
    HOME_URL="https://www.kali.org/"
    SUPPORT_URL="https://forums.kali.org/"
    BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.kali.org/"
    lspci | grep -E "VGA|3D"

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 5500 (rev 09)
    04:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM108M [GeForce 940M] (rev a2)
    I am not sure about step 6 "generating /etc/X11/xorg.conf". I used nvidia-xconfig for generating /etc/X11/xorg.conf and injected my BusID there.

Maybe somebody have the same issue and know what to do.

Thank you.

unable to get busID of gpu

hello,

I am trying to install the GPU driver on my pc(Kali Linux) following the procedure you have explained.

I was struck in the middle.ERROR: Unable to query GPU information
    It was installed the Nvidia-drivers using the command you mentioned in the 4th step.
    Then when I am trying to find the bus ID of the GPU, it's giving an error

when i ran
    Code:
    The output i got was
    Code:
     ERROR: Unable to query GPU information
    Please help me find the solution

Hey,
    This issue has been haunting me for while now and its **** frustrating trying to solve it. i got my hopes up when i found this post but after step 7 i restarted and got stuck on the boot screen like many users and a complete freeze. i used the gdm display script like the orginal post assuming that would be also my display manager. however i do not know if that is the issue and if i’m suppose to use another script or how to know what display manager to use. Appreciate all the help that is possible, i’m pretty close breaking the laptop in pieces🤬

A few months ago i tried this tutorial on kali 2017.x (don't remember which one) and everything worked. Now doing the same on 2018.1 but I'm getting an
    Code:
    libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-config.c:656 kmod_config_parse: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-libnfc.conf line 2: ignoring bad line starting with 'options'
    error after step 2. Can anybody help me to fix it? My system:
    Code:
    root@kali:~# uname -a
    Linux kali 4.14.0-kali3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.14.12-2kali1 (2018-01-08) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Code:
    root@kali:~# cat /etc/*release*
    DISTRIB_ID=Kali
    NAME="Kali GNU/Linux"
    ID=kali
    VERSION="2018.1"
    VERSION_ID="2018.1"
    ID_LIKE=debian
    ANSI_COLOR="1;31"
    HOME_URL="http://www.kali.org/"
    SUPPORT_URL="http://forums.kali.org/"
    BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.kali.org/"
    Laptop Acer Aspire with:
    Intel Pentium N3710
    Intel HD Graphics 405
    NVIDIA GeGorce 920MX

Hey man , i m seeing everyone getting successful with your tutorial,but i find my self uncluky ,after completing step 7 i have rebooted my laptop and it got stucked at the login in screen which turned out black.
    now i hav reverted the steps .i have used apt get for installing the drivers .
    1. I m using nvidia Geforce 630m
    2. Asus K55v series (laptop)
    3.using kali rolling .
    hoing a reply soon .

GTX 970M running Kali 2018.2 **HELP**

Alright so after I run update-initramfs -u , I get that same feedback of WARNING: Setting CRYPTSETUP in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf is deprecated and will stop working in the future. Use /etc/cryptsetup-initramfs/conf-hook instead. I get this feedback message both running that previous command as well as at the end of the NVidia driver install. I have tried MANY different techniques to make this NVidia Card work and I am just having the hardest time. I have, however, become incredibly proficient at getting nouveau back up and running without rebooting after the nvidia driver doesnt allow my gui to initialize.

Linux CandiedPixel 4.16.0-kali2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.16.16-2kali1 (2018-06-25) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Im running an Alienware 17R3
    i7 Skylake
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 970M

Thanks for this, I lost a lot of time trying to install and NVDIA good thing I found this thread very helpful I just wish a found it sooner

Quote Originally Posted by Kshitij Mishra View Post
    Hey man , i m seeing everyone getting successful with your tutorial,but i find my self uncluky ,after completing step 7 i have rebooted my laptop and it got stucked at the login in screen which turned out black.
    now i hav reverted the steps .i have used apt get for installing the drivers .
    1. I m using nvidia Geforce 630m
    2. Asus K55v series (laptop)
    3.using kali rolling .
    hoing a reply soon .
    Where did you download NVIDIA drivers from? did you install it from NVIDIA website or via apt-get?
    Also try removing nvidia driver with the last step and reinstalling again from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by CandiedPixel View Post
    Alright so after I run update-initramfs -u , I get that same feedback of WARNING: Setting CRYPTSETUP in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf is deprecated and will stop working in the future. Use /etc/cryptsetup-initramfs/conf-hook instead. I get this feedback message both running that previous command as well as at the end of the NVidia driver install. I have tried MANY different techniques to make this NVidia Card work and I am just having the hardest time. I have, however, become incredibly proficient at getting nouveau back up and running without rebooting after the nvidia driver doesnt allow my gui to initialize.

Linux CandiedPixel 4.16.0-kali2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.16.16-2kali1 (2018-06-25) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Im running an Alienware 17R3
    i7 Skylake
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 970M

You can ignore that warning.After installation,what symptoms do you get?

you saved my neck bro <3 thank you

So once the installation is complete and I update everything and reboot, I quite literally get nothing, it gets to a certain point in the boot sequence and just stops. Ive checked around to see if others have had this issue and it seems rather prominent, unfortunately I cant seem to find any 100 percent fixes to the issue!

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorSpace View Post

i7-7700HQ Processor
    16GB RAM

Whenever I use
    update-initramfs -u
    or

And upon using

I have the same laptop as you and it works using Tiger's tutorial.

With a fresh install, immediately blacklist nouveau with this step:

Code:
    echo -e "blacklist nouveau\noptions nouveau modeset=0\nalias nouveau off" > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf
    Make sure to do an update and upgrade, reboot. After rebooting get the header files for your kernel

Code:
    apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    Then continue to install as per Tiger's tutorial.

Note that lspci will give you output like this: 01:00.0

Running the query to get the bus ID will give you this output: 1:0:0

The second query is the proper format for the xorg.conf file.

TiGER511 thanks for a great tutorial!! I do have one question though.. after installing the kernel, nvidia creates a nvidia-blacklists-nouveau.conf just blacklisting nouveau.. Does this conf file replace the one we created with the echo statement? If so, can we delete the manually created conf file since nvidia has created its own?

Also, I am not sure I totally understand how this conf file is invoked? we created it, put the code in, then ran the sed command.. How is the sed command tied to the conf file?

Again thanks it is working for me !

Hi there i have NVIDIA GTX 860M and i was using nvidia smoothly until and unless i updated it last week. Usually i always update it but never got any problem but this time it got stuck after rebooting.
    So after that i finally decided to uninstall the driver and then to start installing it with scratch. Everything was going smooth and then i got stuck at 5th step as i can see other people are also having the same problem.
    when i ran this command it throws this error:
    ERROR: Unable to query GPU information
    i was installing nvidia via apt-get. Any solution for this please?
    Last edited by abhijeet; 2018-08-05 at 10:56.

Quote Originally Posted by abhijeet View Post
    Hi there i have NVIDIA GTX 860M and i was using nvidia smoothly until and unless i updated it last week. Usually i always update it but never got any problem but this time it got stuck after rebooting.
    So after that i finally decided to uninstall the driver and then to start installing it with scratch. Everything was going smooth and then i got stuck at 5th step as i can see other people are also having the same problem.
    when i ran this command it throws this error:

i was installing nvidia via apt-get. Any solution for this please?

For those having same problem try to do what vel suggested.

Tried it and it worked for me

Quote Originally Posted by bjo1112 View Post
    For those having same problem try to do what vel suggested.

Tried it and it worked for me
    Thanks for the reply but i forgot to mention that this command is not working for me throwing some error:
    apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package linux-headers-4.15.0-kali2-amd64
    E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'linux-headers-4.15.0-kali2-amd64'
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-headers-4.15.0-kali2-amd64'
    So i already tried that solution but no luck

Quote Originally Posted by abhijeet View Post
    Thanks for the reply but i forgot to mention that this command is not working for me throwing some error:

So i already tried that solution but no luck
    put this in your sources.list (etc/apt/sources.list)

deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main contrib non-free

deb http://old.kali.org/kali moto main non-free contrib

deb http://old.kali.org/kali sana main non-free contrib

deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/debian/ jessie main

then update (apt-get update) and try again

Nvidia GTX 1050Ti Driver Installation on Kali Linux 2018.2

My System Spec: Asus ROG Strix GL503GE
    Core i5 8300H, Nvidia GTX 1050Ti Mobile.

Thanks! my Nvidia driver is working now but I had to follow you and a other guide Kali Linux
    Last edited by infernoshatt; 2018-12-10 at 19:24.