Quote Originally Posted by AlphaXMagnus View Post
Just registered to say this.. I've got a Dell Inspiron 15 gaming laptop GTX 1050 i5-7300HQ. I did all the steps got to step 5 and nothing worked. The PCI wouldn't show. sat on it for 30 mins... ran back through the suggestions. I figured well wipe it and start again. Upon purge nvidia** i booted back into the login screen logged in had a hunch.. and bam it worked.. lol i literally really dont know what i did besides just wipe the apt-get install nvidia-driver nvidia-xconfig install and reboot into the login. I hope that helps anyone. If you've got questions I can try to help trace my steps and hope they help you. Thanks for the info OP'er.
Quote Originally Posted by DoctorSpace View Post
So, I ran through all the steps on the tutorial, but looks like I'm still having an issue.

As it starts to boot, I get [FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules, and then it runs through some other checks and stops on [OK] Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes.

Can't get into a terminal from here. Thoughts on what to do?

EDIT: Post finally got approved, so let me give you some more info.
I was able to purge the Nvidia drivers and get back to where I started, and here's everything I noticed.

First off it's an MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro Laptop
Nvidia GTX 1060 Geforce graphics
i7-7700HQ Processor
16GB RAM

Whenever I use
update-initramfs -u
or
apt-get install nvidia-driver nvidia-xconfig

At the end I get hit with
"WARNING: Setting CRYPTSETUP in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf is deprecated and will stop working in the future. Use /etc/cryptsetup-initramfs/conf-hook instead."

And upon using
nvidia-xconfig --query-gpu-info | grep 'BusID : ' | cut -d ' ' -f6
I get an error stating it can't query the GPU, but it shows up in lspci

And then if I run through the whole tutorial I'm hit with the error I mentioned at the top of the post. Does Kali just not like to place nice with the 1060? I've looked around the forums and it seems the people having the same issue all have the same graphics card as I.
I think there is a problem with Pascal GPUs in Linux.Try the latest 390 Driver and let me know how it goes:
http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...x/128743/en-us

Please attach screenshot/picture/logs if you are having problems.