Thread: [TUTORIAL] Installing official NVIDIA driver in Optimus laptop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kshitij Mishra View Post
    Hey man , i m seeing everyone getting successful with your tutorial,but i find my self uncluky ,after completing step 7 i have rebooted my laptop and it got stucked at the login in screen which turned out black.
    now i hav reverted the steps .i have used apt get for installing the drivers .
    1. I m using nvidia Geforce 630m
    2. Asus K55v series (laptop)
    3.using kali rolling .
    hoing a reply soon .
    Where did you download NVIDIA drivers from? did you install it from NVIDIA website or via apt-get?
    Also try removing nvidia driver with the last step and reinstalling again from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by CandiedPixel View Post
    Alright so after I run update-initramfs -u , I get that same feedback of WARNING: Setting CRYPTSETUP in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf is deprecated and will stop working in the future. Use /etc/cryptsetup-initramfs/conf-hook instead. I get this feedback message both running that previous command as well as at the end of the NVidia driver install. I have tried MANY different techniques to make this NVidia Card work and I am just having the hardest time. I have, however, become incredibly proficient at getting nouveau back up and running without rebooting after the nvidia driver doesnt allow my gui to initialize.

Linux CandiedPixel 4.16.0-kali2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.16.16-2kali1 (2018-06-25) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Im running an Alienware 17R3
    i7 Skylake
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 970M

You can ignore that warning.After installation,what symptoms do you get?

So once the installation is complete and I update everything and reboot, I quite literally get nothing, it gets to a certain point in the boot sequence and just stops. Ive checked around to see if others have had this issue and it seems rather prominent, unfortunately I cant seem to find any 100 percent fixes to the issue!