Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [TUTORIAL] Installing official NVIDIA driver in Optimus laptop

Cool [TUTORIAL] Installing official NVIDIA driver in Optimus laptop

After spending 4 days in a row,i was finally able to install and run Official NVIDIA driver on my HP Envy 15 laptop.Here is my specs:

CPU: Intel core i7-4510U CPU
    GPU #1: Intel HD Graphics 4400
    GPU #2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M

My system:
    Code:
    root@linux:~# uname -a
    Linux linux 4.9.0-kali3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.13-1kali3 (2017-03-13) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Code:
    root@linux:~# cat /etc/*release*
    DISTRIB_ID=Kali
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=kali-rolling
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=kali-rolling
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Kali GNU/Linux Rolling"
    PRETTY_NAME="Kali GNU/Linux Rolling"
    NAME="Kali GNU/Linux"
    ID=kali
    VERSION="2016.2"
    VERSION_ID="2016.2"
    ID_LIKE=debian
    ANSI_COLOR="1;31"
    HOME_URL="http://www.kali.org/"
    SUPPORT_URL="http://forums.kali.org/"
    BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.kali.org/"
    Before we begin,couple of notes:

***USE AT YOUR OWN RISK***
    *This tutorial is for official NVIDIA Driver not Bumblebee
    *Tutorial found on official Kali website is BROKEN! It never works for optimus/hybrid Graphics enabled laptop

1. Verify you have hybrid graphics

Code:
    lspci | grep -E "VGA|3D"

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b)
    0a:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 850M] (rev a2)
    2.Disable nouveau
    Code:
    echo -e "blacklist nouveau\noptions nouveau modeset=0\nalias nouveau off" > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf

update-initramfs -u && reboot
    3.system will reboot and nouveau should be disabled.verify if nouveau is disabled:
    Code:
    lsmod |grep -i nouveau
    If shows nothing,means nouveau successfully disabled.

4.Install nvidia driver from kali repo:

Code:
    apt-get install  nvidia-driver nvidia-xconfig
    You can also download latest .run file from nvidia website.execute and procceed with installation.whether its from kali repo or nvidia website,procedure is same.

5.Now we have to find bus id of our nvidia card:
    Code:
    nvidia-xconfig --query-gpu-info | grep 'BusID : ' | cut -d ' ' -f6
    it should show something like this:
    Code:
    PCI:10:0:0
    This is our Bus ID.
    6.Now we generate /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with this bus ID according to nvidia guide http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...E/randr14.html:
    Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier "layout"
        Screen 0 "nvidia"
        Inactive "intel"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier "nvidia"
        Driver "nvidia"
        BusID "PCI:10:0:0"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "nvidia"
        Device "nvidia"
        Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier "intel"
        Driver "modesetting"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "intel"
        Device "intel"
    EndSection
    Replace the bold string with your Bus ID and save it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

7.Now we have to create some scripts according to our display manager https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...splay_Managers.Since im using default Kali linux which is GDM,i created two files:
    /usr/share/gdm/greeter/autostart/optimus.desktop
    /etc/xdg/autostart/optimus.desktop
    with the following content:
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Type=Application
    Name=Optimus
    Exec=sh -c "xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0; xrandr --auto"
    NoDisplay=true
    X-GNOME-Autostart-Phase=DisplayServer
    8. Now reboot and you should be using Nvidia Driver.Verify if everything is ok:
    Code:
    root@kali:~# glxinfo | grep -i "direct rendering"

direct rendering: Yes
    Optional: you can now install your cuda toolkits:
    Code:
    apt-get install ocl-icd-libopencl1 nvidia-cuda-toolkit
    FIXING SCREEN TEARING ISSUE:
    After you successfully boot up with Nvidia Driver, you most probably experiencing screen tearing issue eg: playing videos in VLC,youtube video on Chrome/Firefox etc.Luckily,we can fix this by enabling PRIME Sync.

1.Verify if PRIME is disabled
    Code:
    xrandr --verbose|grep PRIME
    it should output something like this:
    PRIME Synchronization: 0
    PRIME Synchronization: 1

First one is our connected display.So PRIME sync is disabled.
    2. Edit /etc/default/grub and append nvidia-drm.modeset=1 in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT after quiet.Like the following:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nvidia-drm.modeset=1"
    3.Save the changes.Update grub
    Code:
    update-grub
    4.Reboot your system.
    5.Verify if PRIME is enabled:
    Code:
    Now it should output:

If it still shows 0 for you,then there is probably something wrong with your system config/kernel.Since this is still an experimental feature from Nvidia,you are out of luck.

***IF YOU STUCK IN BOOT SCREEN***
    Revert what we have done so far:
    Press CTRL+ALT+F2 or CTRL+ALT+F3 ,login with your password.
    Code:
    apt-get remove --purge nvidia*
    rm -rf /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Remove those display manager files we created earlier (for GDM):
    Code:
    rm -rf /usr/share/gdm/greeter/autostart/optimus.desktop
    rm -rf /etc/xdg/autostart/optimus.desktop
    Now reboot.you should be able get back to your old system.
    Last edited by TiGER511; 2017-04-04 at 17:59. Reason: Screen tearing fix added.

Thanks for this info. Installing Nvidia drivers is a big overhead for most of the users. The kali-linux documentation has broken tutorial for this. They only tell you how to install it if you have only dedicated Nvidia graphic card. Today's PC comes with both integrated and dedicated Intel HD graphics and Nvidia GEforce. How did you find out that following all those commands would work? There must be something you were able to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    Thanks for this info. Installing Nvidia drivers is a big overhead for most of the users. The kali-linux documentation has broken tutorial for this. They only tell you how to install it if you have only dedicated Nvidia graphic card. Today's PC comes with both integrated and dedicated Intel HD graphics and Nvidia GEforce. How did you find out that following all those commands would work? There must be something you were able to figure out.
    I had to spend a lot of time figuring it out.most of the infromations i got was from nvidia dev forum,Nvidia installation guide and the archlinux wiki.I just put togther all the information.

Hi there.
    I want to thank you for this excelente tuto. This was THE ONLY ONE that worked for me.
    I've been searching for the solution for many days, removing and reinstalling nvidia with a low bandwitdth connection. I think the point is the xorg.conf and display manager configuration you found on offical docs.
    Now I have nvidia running on my kali thanks to you.
    Spread the word and make this possible for others.
    Very nice, man. Good job.

Mate you are an absolute F**kin legend, this has been giving me endless problems and at the end of last year I decided to give up then today I thought I would look to see if anyone had managed to do it and this worked perfectly, thanks for sharing this info THIS needs to be in the documentation!

You are welcome mate.Really appreciate it.I've updated the article with screen tearing fix.

Man you really saved me from lots of trouble. but i need to switch between nvidia and intel boards for reasons of battery saving. i cant see PRIME tab on xServer settings how can i switch ?

Quote Originally Posted by darthsoul View Post
    Man you really saved me from lots of trouble. but i need to switch between nvidia and intel boards for reasons of battery saving. i cant see PRIME tab on xServer settings how can i switch ?
    You can not switch gpu with official nvidia driver on linux.If you wanna switch between gpus,you have to use bumble bee which is unofficial.Nvidia Linux drivers only supports nvidia card to be operated.

What if I blacklist Nvidia driver? Will kali switch to Intel HD graphics?
    Last edited by _defalt; 2017-04-09 at 13:29.

Maybe you have to use different xorg.conf file. even if you blacklist Nvidia driver, you can not switch graphics card on demand like in windows with this procedure. you have to restart and change xorg.conf everytime you want to change GPU.why would anyone wanna do that?
    If you really want power saving, try bumble bee.There is very good tutorials regarding bumble bee in this forum.
    Last edited by TiGER511; 2017-04-09 at 14:40.

Quote Originally Posted by TiGER511 View Post
    Maybe you have to use different xorg.conf file. even if you blacklist Nvidia driver, you can not switch graphics card on demand like in windows with this procedure. you have to restart and change xorg.conf everytime you want to change GPU.why would anyone wanna do that?
    If you really want power saving, try bumble bee.There is very good tutorials regarding bumble bee in this forum.
    Thanks for the reply. i saw it on ubuntu forums that it can be switched withing nvidia x server software but its not the case with kali it seems. are they any disadvantages using bumblebee instead of this method ?

Quote Originally Posted by darthsoul View Post
    Thanks for the reply. i saw it on ubuntu forums that it can be switched withing nvidia x server software but its not the case with kali it seems. are they any disadvantages using bumblebee instead of this method ?
    well i haven't really heard anything like that.as far as i know,nvidia driver starts up with xorg server,if you wanna switch then xorg.conf has to be changed and then the xorg server has to be restarted so it uses new config file.

I haven't used bumblebee,so i don't really know. but bumblebee should be power effeicient since you can turn on/off dGPU like in Windows.

Red face

Hello mates, after struggling a lot installing many times kali ,following many guides none work except this . I was also decided to give up on this and all those feelings of other users who struggled a lot like me and then you have found easter egg. thanks a lot bro @TIGER511. As other mentioned this tutorial should be on kali linux official site .

Can u post the link or if u don't mind tutorial on installing bumblebee?please.thanks
    Last edited by abhijeet; 2017-05-05 at 21:54.

Quote Originally Posted by abhijeet View Post
    Hello mates, after struggling a lot installing many times kali ,following many guides none work except this . I was also decided to give up on this and all those feelings of other users who struggled a lot like me and then you have found easter egg. thanks a lot bro @TIGER511. As other mentioned this tutorial should be on kali linux official site .

Can u post the link or if u don't mind tutorial on installing bumblebee?please.thanks
    I know your feelings.I was one of them as well.spent months figuring it out,several attempt was made without any success.

Anyway here is your link to bumblebee tutorial: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...nabled-Laptops

Dude, this is absolutely the best guide on the internet.
    But in step 7, what if I want to use LXDE or other DM which are not in your list?

@TiGER511 you are the greatest!

I do have 2 questions (and these maybe either my lack of understanding or being very sleep deprived)

But I am completely lost on steps 6 & 7. Do I click the links and follow those instructions?

I did "glxinfo | grep -i "direct rendering"" and it returned with a yes so idk if I am good to go or not b/c when I did the "xrandr --verbose|grep PRIME" it doesn't return with any responses.

On 4k screen everything was working perfectly but once I installed nvidia drivers the tool bars on programs became huge and so did the buttons. But the taskbar is at it's original size. idk why this is...been through the settings and all

Good Job !!!!!!!!!!!1

Quote Originally Posted by danielmai View Post
    Dude, this is absolutely the best guide on the internet.
    But in step 7, what if I want to use LXDE or other DM which are not in your list?
    You can try with "~/.xinitrc" ,it may work.
    Last edited by TiGER511; 2017-05-20 at 05:58.

Quote Originally Posted by MatLab View Post
    @TiGER511 you are the greatest!

I do have 2 questions (and these maybe either my lack of understanding or being very sleep deprived)

But I am completely lost on steps 6 & 7. Do I click the links and follow those instructions?

I did "glxinfo | grep -i "direct rendering"" and it returned with a yes so idk if I am good to go or not b/c when I did the "xrandr --verbose|grep PRIME" it doesn't return with any responses.

On 4k screen everything was working perfectly but once I installed nvidia drivers the tool bars on programs became huge and so did the buttons. But the taskbar is at it's original size. idk why this is...been through the settings and all
    You don't have to follow instruction on these link if you are using GDM and not having trouble.I've mentioned those source articles just in case anyone need any explanation or have different setups.Just follow these steps as it is,should work fine.

do you have xrandr installed? what is the output of "xrandr --verbose"

After spending 4 days in a row,i was finally able to install and run Official NVIDIA driver...
    Signed up to say THANK YOU! This was day 3. I can be productive again lol AND get some sleep.

Does this still work with the 2017.1 version?

Quote Originally Posted by starsin View Post
    Does this still work with the 2017.1 version?
    yes it works on 2017.1 version.

Does anyone know what the stuck at boot occurs? I have a system with a Nvidia 960M and a Intel HD 530, but after I followed the guide I got stuck at boot with the line part where there are a bunch of green [OK] check with information next to them. I got stuck at different lines with different reboot.

Also at the very top I got a

Code:
    [FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules

I'm having some difficulty installing the driver and wonder if anybody could help me.
    I've got an ASUS Q551LN.
    It has a hybrid video setup with Intel 4400 combined with NVidia GT 840M graphics cards.

For the life of me I can't get the NVidia driver working.
    Following the steps listed here:
    1) I've verified that both cards are seen by running lspci ....
    2) I've blackisted nouveau and updated initramfs and verified that the module is not loaded.
    4) I've tried installing the driver via apt get and running the installed downloader from NVidia (fresh separate installs).
    5) Running: nvidia-xconfig --query-gpu-info
    I get an error stating that it cannot query the gpu--it is present in lspci
    6) There is also no xorg.conf file

When I reboot the laptop it starts with some text (something about mount, not video related) on top of the screen and the text will change color.
    I could open another terminal by using alt-ctrl-f2.

My other info:
    Kali 2017 was up to date in all attempts to get this working.
    The laptop is touch screen, but that doesn't seem to be an issue.
    The laptop is UEFI, and I have to use UEFI as the BIOS has almost no options that could be changed by the user.
    As an aside note, the laptop boots very quickly.
    I can't change any graphics options in the BIOS other than memory allocation.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by chaopac View Post
    Does anyone know what the stuck at boot occurs? I have a system with a Nvidia 960M and a Intel HD 530, but after I followed the guide I got stuck at boot with the line part where there are a bunch of green [OK] check with information next to them. I got stuck at different lines with different reboot.

Also at the very top I got a

Code:
    [FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules
    which nvidia driver you tried to install? was it from nvidia.com or apt-get? also does uninstalling remove the error?

Quote Originally Posted by tmoran1116 View Post
    I'm having some difficulty installing the driver and wonder if anybody could help me.
    I've got an ASUS Q551LN.
    It has a hybrid video setup with Intel 4400 combined with NVidia GT 840M graphics cards.

For the life of me I can't get the NVidia driver working.
    Following the steps listed here:
    1) I've verified that both cards are seen by running lspci ....
    2) I've blackisted nouveau and updated initramfs and verified that the module is not loaded.
    4) I've tried installing the driver via apt get and running the installed downloader from NVidia (fresh separate installs).
    5) Running: nvidia-xconfig --query-gpu-info
    I get an error stating that it cannot query the gpu--it is present in lspci
    6) There is also no xorg.conf file

When I reboot the laptop it starts with some text (something about mount, not video related) on top of the screen and the text will change color.
    I could open another terminal by using alt-ctrl-f2.

My other info:
    Kali 2017 was up to date in all attempts to get this working.
    The laptop is touch screen, but that doesn't seem to be an issue.
    The laptop is UEFI, and I have to use UEFI as the BIOS has almost no options that could be changed by the user.
    As an aside note, the laptop boots very quickly.
    I can't change any graphics options in the BIOS other than memory allocation.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    You can always change your UEFI boot to legacy boot from bios.You should have something called "Enable CSM" in your bios which enables legacy boot.The error seems like your GPU is not powered on for some reason as it can not query the gpu.Try reinstalling kali in legacy bios mode.

There will not be any xorg.conf file by default.you have to create it as i've stated in my post.

hey i follow your guide step by step but it doesnt work with me, i stuck at bootloop but after i remove the nvidia it return like it used to. how im going to install nvidia driver
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 5916 (rev 02)
    01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 179c (rev a2)
    that is my hybrid gpu

hi it work for me im not stuck at boot loop but when i check the screen tearing xrandr --verbose|grep prime
    there is 3 prime synchronization

Quote Originally Posted by stephen5512 View Post
    there is 3 prime synchronization
    I think you have external monitor connected? just apply my fix and see what happens.

Hello TIGER511 ,
    I had kept automatic update off after installing nvidia but two days back I put it on and updates were downloaded automatically after which i was installing them and it got stuck on tor browser, after than i aborted the process which results in booting problem. Than i ran "dpkg --configure -a" from recovery mode to bring it back in previous state . So my question is whether should i keep my automatic updates on because at the starting i was getting update and my os was also running smooth?
    AND have you use bumblebee?
    Sorry for my English if i am wrong somewhere.
    Thank You

On step 7, I'm using the Kali build with KDE, I don't see KDE mentioned in the link. Any idea how I should go about step 7?

Thanks! I have an Acer with an Intel HD 520 and an nVidiaGeForce 940mx, this is gonna be a life saver!

Everyone has his own heroes.
    My heroes?
    You're one of them.
    Just created this account to say HUGE THANKS!

Kali Linux 2017.1

Arrow Not Able To Install Nvidia Drivers

Hi mate i had problem in installing the drivers
    i followed every tutorials in internet and at last tried you tutorial but no result of fking nvidia drivers
    My laptop specs are:
    1.Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz × 8
    2intel graphics=Intel® Kabylake GT2
    3.Nvidia=geforce gtx 1050M
    4.8 gigs of ram
    5.128 gb nvme ssd

My system

Code:
    root@kali-Killer:~# uname -a
    Linux kali-Killer 4.9.0-kali3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.18-1kali1 (2017-04-04) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Code:
    root@kali-Killer:~# cat /etc/*release*
    DISTRIB_ID=Kali
    NAME="Kali GNU/Linux"
    ID=kali
    VERSION="2017.1"
    VERSION_ID="2017.1"
    ID_LIKE=debian
    ANSI_COLOR="1;31"
    Started steps of nvidia drivers

Code:
    root@kali-Killer:~# lspci | grep -E "VGA|3D"
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 591b (rev 04)
    01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] (rev a1)
    I sucessfully disabled nouveau

Code:
    echo -e "blacklist nouveau\noptions nouveau modeset=0\nalias nouveau off" > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf
    r

From this step I install nvidia drivers

Code:
    after installing the drivers i restarted my laptop and shows me sad emoji symbol of crash
    and i went into recovery mode uninstall nvidia drivers to back to old intel graphics

first i thought that nvidia didn't made CUDA toolkit for gtx 1050M
    so i went into some forums and searched cuda toolkit for my gpu
    some members said me that cuda toolkit support every gpu
    but why my gpu sucks

so i hope you can fix this problem and sorry for my bad English

Dumb question. I Google that CUDA is for equations. What could I use CUDA for? Will is help with the GPUs regular desktop and gaming performance?

Thanks?

Hi guys, im needing help!

this command didn't work
    Code:
    nvidia-xconfig --query-gpu-info
    so i uninstall the nvidia driver and now i cant log in gdm, the login screen appears but dont go to desktop.

i see this error after run journalctl
    Code:
    kali /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session: unable to run X server
    someone know how can i fix this?
    thanks!
    Last edited by izen; 2017-08-25 at 20:11.

thanks for the toturial!! i would update that the latest .run file from nvidia webside does not work with this guide at the moment.

question: if i want to install nvidia drivers and cuda support on my desktop with nvidia card (gtx 970) , can i skip steps 5-6-7 or i have to follow?

Quote Originally Posted by izen View Post
    Hi guys, im needing help!

this command didn't work
    Code:
    nvidia-xconfig --query-gpu-info
    so i uninstall the nvidia driver and now i cant log in gdm, the login screen appears but dont go to desktop.

i see this error after run journalctl
    Code:
    kali /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session: unable to run X server
    someone know how can i fix this?
    thanks!
    i saw the log of nvidia-uninstall and nvidia-installer
    Code:
    /var/log/nvidia-uninstall.log
    /var/log/nvidia-installer.log
    And i found out that the nvidia removed the xserver-xorg in the installation and when i uninstalled an error happened when they try to back to original
    Code:
    ERROR: Failed to run '/usr/bin/nvidia-xconfig --restore-original-backup'
    so to fix my problem i had to reinstall the xserver-xorg

I am using Kali 2017.1 with an ASUS ROG G771JM laptop containing Intel 4th Gen Integrated Graphics and an nVidia GM107M GeForce GTX 860M. As of August 30, 2017 this tutorial worked wonders for me.
    Thank you so very much OP! I, like many others users, stumbled upon several other tutorials before finding yours. It should be no surprise to you that none of them worked. I appreciate you taking the time and energy to create this tutorial that, once completed, had me grinning ear to ear! Once again, thank you VERY much bro!!

I'm trying to install Nvidia driver on my custom Desktop PC, i followed the tutorial, disabled nouveau and installed nvidia drivers with
    Code:
    apt-get install nvidia-driver nvidia-xconfig
    at the step 5 when I type
    Code:
    i have
    Code:
    ERROR: Unable to query GPU Information
    Can someone help me please? There is one week I'm trying to fix this and I dont want to give up.
    I've a MSI Z97 gaming 5 as mobo with Intel HD Graphics 4600 and GTX970 as GPU
    My system:
    Code:
    root@KaliThresh:~# uname -a
    Linux KaliThresh 4.9.0-kali3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.18-1kali1 (2017-04-04) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Code:
    root@KaliThresh:~# cat /etc/*release*
    DISTRIB_ID=Kali
    NAME="Kali GNU/Linux"
    ID=kali
    VERSION="2017.2"
    VERSION_ID="2017.2"
    ID_LIKE=debian
    ANSI_COLOR="1;31"

Code:
    after this step , i managed to install it and i can boot until desktop but all my menu is blank / missing , i only can right-clicks and open terminal
    any solution?

Quote Originally Posted by abhijeet View Post
    Hello TIGER511 ,
    I had kept automatic update off after installing nvidia but two days back I put it on and updates were downloaded automatically after which i was installing them and it got stuck on tor browser, after than i aborted the process which results in booting problem. Than i ran "dpkg --configure -a" from recovery mode to bring it back in previous state . So my question is whether should i keep my automatic updates on because at the starting i was getting update and my os was also running smooth?
    AND have you use bumblebee?
    Sorry for my English if i am wrong somewhere.
    Thank You
    There is no such problem for me with automated updates.i always keep my machine up to date and didn't had anything broken so far.If something breaks,you can always repeat the process again and it should be fixed.

And no,i didn't use bumblebee. I want to use my Nvidia GPU all the time since i paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by anguilla1980 View Post
    On step 7, I'm using the Kali build with KDE, I don't see KDE mentioned in the link. Any idea how I should go about step 7?

Thanks! I have an Acer with an Intel HD 520 and an nVidiaGeForce 940mx, this is gonna be a life saver!
    For KDE,follow the link on step 7 and use LightDM configs.

Quote Originally Posted by aciang View Post
    Code:
    after this step , i managed to install it and i can boot until desktop but all my menu is blank / missing , i only can right-clicks and open terminal
    any solution?
    This happens if you mess up on step 7.Can you provide screenshot of your problem?

Quote Originally Posted by GiammyA7X View Post
    I'm trying to install Nvidia driver on my custom Desktop PC, i followed the tutorial, disabled nouveau and installed nvidia drivers with
    Code:
    apt-get install nvidia-driver nvidia-xconfig
    at the step 5 when I type
    Code:
    i have
    Code:
    ERROR: Unable to query GPU Information
    Can someone help me please? There is one week I'm trying to fix this and I dont want to give up.
    I've a MSI Z97 gaming 5 as mobo with Intel HD Graphics 4600 and GTX970 as GPU
    My system:
    Code:
    root@KaliThresh:~# uname -a
    Linux KaliThresh 4.9.0-kali3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.18-1kali1 (2017-04-04) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Code:
    root@KaliThresh:~# cat /etc/*release*
    DISTRIB_ID=Kali
    NAME="Kali GNU/Linux"
    ID=kali
    VERSION="2017.2"
    VERSION_ID="2017.2"
    ID_LIKE=debian
    ANSI_COLOR="1;31"
    This guide is for Muxless Laptop GPU only.For desktop you can just install nvidia driver regularly and connect your monitor to Nvidia HDMI port.Or maybe you can disable intel GPU from bios?

Quote Originally Posted by doron11 View Post
    thanks for the toturial!! i would update that the latest .run file from nvidia webside does not work with this guide at the moment.

question: if i want to install nvidia drivers and cuda support on my desktop with nvidia card (gtx 970) , can i skip steps 5-6-7 or i have to follow?
    I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Muqeeth786 View Post
    Hi mate i had problem in installing the drivers
    i followed every tutorials in internet and at last tried you tutorial but no result of fking nvidia drivers
    My laptop specs are:
    1.Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz × 8
    2intel graphics=Intel® Kabylake GT2
    3.Nvidia=geforce gtx 1050M
    4.8 gigs of ram
    5.128 gb nvme ssd

My system

Code:
    root@kali-Killer:~# uname -a
    Linux kali-Killer 4.9.0-kali3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.18-1kali1 (2017-04-04) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Code:
    root@kali-Killer:~# cat /etc/*release*
    DISTRIB_ID=Kali
    NAME="Kali GNU/Linux"
    ID=kali
    VERSION="2017.1"
    VERSION_ID="2017.1"
    ID_LIKE=debian
    ANSI_COLOR="1;31"
    Started steps of nvidia drivers

Code:
    root@kali-Killer:~# lspci | grep -E "VGA|3D"
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 591b (rev 04)
    01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] (rev a1)
    I sucessfully disabled nouveau

Code:
    r

From this step I install nvidia drivers

Code:
    after installing the drivers i restarted my laptop and shows me sad emoji symbol of crash
    and i went into recovery mode uninstall nvidia drivers to back to old intel graphics

first i thought that nvidia didn't made CUDA toolkit for gtx 1050M
    so i went into some forums and searched cuda toolkit for my gpu
    some members said me that cuda toolkit support every gpu
    but why my gpu sucks

so i hope you can fix this problem and sorry for my bad English
    Follow all the steps properly.You can not reboot right after installing driver.you have to follow the steps accordingly then reboot.
    Last edited by maiki; 2017-10-20 at 07:27. Reason: Merge posts

There is no such problem for me with automated updates.i always keep my machine up to date and didn't had anything broken so far.If something breaks,you can always repeat the process again and it should be fixed.

And no,i didn't use bumblebee. I want to use my Nvidia GPU all the time since i paid for it.
    Thanks for the reply. Looks like you were busy. I figured out after that and i too do regular updates without any problem now.

Hey dude, can you pls help me? I did every step successfully but after i write the optimus.desktop files i get stuck at boot screen, and I am forced to revert the changes, and i cant install the drivers...., is there a way to work around this issue?
    my system is:
    "Linux kali 4.13.0-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.13.4-2kali1 (2017-10-16) x86_64 GNU/Linux"
    "00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
    01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 850M] (rev a2)"

Total noob here. Just wanted to say 'THANK YOU!!!' I'm about 2 days into figuring this out. Finally have a boot without the bumz.

Every step went perfect till this point:
    Code:
    I always get:
    Code:
    And also updating grub

Code:
    update-grub
    /usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig: 10: /etc/default/grub: nvidia-drm.modeset=1: not found
    I use KDE desktop. So I assumed my display manager is SDDM

So I have this file with the following content

Code:
    cat /usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup
    #!/bin/sh
    # Xsetup - run as root before the login dialog appears

xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0
    xrandr --auto
    What could be wrong?
    Last edited by hassoun; 2017-11-14 at 15:46.

Quote Originally Posted by carloxrojo View Post
    Hey dude, can you pls help me? I did every step successfully but after i write the optimus.desktop files i get stuck at boot screen, and I am forced to revert the changes, and i cant install the drivers...., is there a way to work around this issue?
    my system is:
    "Linux kali 4.13.0-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.13.4-2kali1 (2017-10-16) x86_64 GNU/Linux"
    "00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)
    01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107M [GeForce GTX 850M] (rev a2)"
    Which display manager you are using?

Quote Originally Posted by hassoun View Post
    Every step went perfect till this point:
    Code:
    I always get:
    Code:
    And also updating grub

Code:
    update-grub
    /usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig: 10: /etc/default/grub: nvidia-drm.modeset=1: not found
    I use KDE desktop. So I assumed my display manager is SDDM

So I have this file with the following content

Code:
    cat /usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup
    #!/bin/sh
    # Xsetup - run as root before the login dialog appears

xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0
    xrandr --auto
    What could be wrong?
    Setting drm.modeset is not mandatory and it has no relation with display manager.this options is for getting rid of screen tearing.Did you get the driver wroking first?

Hi,
    I just installed the NVIDIA-Driver on my Notebook. All is working okay but i tryed to install Steam and now i am becoming the error: You are missing the following 32 bit libraries, and Steam may not run:libgl.so.1. Any Ideas ?

Quote Originally Posted by itzo View Post
    Hi,
    I just installed the NVIDIA-Driver on my Notebook. All is working okay but i tryed to install Steam and now i am becoming the error: You are missing the following 32 bit libraries, and Steam may not run:libgl.so.1. Any Ideas ?
    see here : https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2233005

Thanks for your effort, to take the time to prepare and share to others.

100% Working.

System info:
    Code:
    Linux admin 4.14.0-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.14.2-1kali1 (2017-12-04) x86_64 GNU/Linux

DISTRIB_ID=Kali
    NAME="Kali GNU/Linux"
    ID=kali
    VERSION="2017.3"
    VERSION_ID="2017.3"
    ID_LIKE=debian
    ANSI_COLOR="1;31"
    Commands output:
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep -i "direct rendering"
            direct rendering: Yes

Hardware info:
    Code:
    system         ASUS N550JK (ASUS-NotebookSKU)
    processor      Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
    memory         8GiB SODIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1600 MHz (0.6 ns)
    display        GM107M [GeForce GTX 850M]
    display        4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller