Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: [TUTORIAL] Installing official NVIDIA driver in Optimus laptop

Quote Originally Posted by itzo View Post
    Hi,
    I just installed the NVIDIA-Driver on my Notebook. All is working okay but i tryed to install Steam and now i am becoming the error: You are missing the following 32 bit libraries, and Steam may not run:libgl.so.1. Any Ideas ?
    For all the users with the same problem, this helped me: apt install nvidia-driver-libs:i386

Hello,

First thank you for your tutorial, it lightens a lot of the obscure procedure for installing Kali!
    However...but unfortunately it seems it doesn't work on my macbook (MacBook Pro 6,2).

From one side it seems that the integrated Intel graphics doesn't work well

[] intel ips 0000:00:1f.6: failed to get i915 symbols, graphics turbo disabled
    [] intel ips 0000:00:1f.6: request ire failed, aborted

on the other hand it seems that the NVIDIA GT330M discrete graphic card doesn't work too. I followed your procedure and at the second step by blacklisting nouveau drivers, Kali cannot arrive until the login page (while before it freeze after the login).
    By installing legacy drivers (the newest don't support GT330M) Kali blocks as well...

If I list the available devices however I can see both the GPU, Intel and Nvidia.

I am running out of ideas, do you have any?

Quote Originally Posted by fnails View Post
    Hello,

First thank you for your tutorial, it lightens a lot of the obscure procedure for installing Kali!
    However...but unfortunately it seems it doesn't work on my macbook (MacBook Pro 6,2).

From one side it seems that the integrated Intel graphics doesn't work well

[] intel ips 0000:00:1f.6: failed to get i915 symbols, graphics turbo disabled
    [] intel ips 0000:00:1f.6: request ire failed, aborted

on the other hand it seems that the NVIDIA GT330M discrete graphic card doesn't work too. I followed your procedure and at the second step by blacklisting nouveau drivers, Kali cannot arrive until the login page (while before it freeze after the login).
    By installing legacy drivers (the newest don't support GT330M) Kali blocks as well...

If I list the available devices however I can see both the GPU, Intel and Nvidia.

I am running out of ideas, do you have any?
    I have no idea about Macbook ecosystem.I've tried it on regular laptops only.Are you sure your GPU is supported by the Nvidia drvier?Because it seems very old card.Optmius was very different back then.My Guide is for muxless system only.Since your laptop is old,i think its muxed.
    Last edited by TiGER511; 2017-12-14 at 10:22 AM.

Hello Forum,

Just registered to send my regards to the OP for this tutorial.
    I've been trying to activate my nVidia graphics without any results, but it finally works following the steps of this tutorial.
    Thank you OP!
    And thanks to the forum in general for your contribution.

Best regards,
    Elias

Just registered to say this.. I've got a Dell Inspiron 15 gaming laptop GTX 1050 i5-7300HQ. I did all the steps got to step 5 and nothing worked. The PCI wouldn't show. sat on it for 30 mins... ran back through the suggestions. I figured well wipe it and start again. Upon purge nvidia** i booted back into the login screen logged in had a hunch.. and bam it worked.. lol i literally really dont know what i did besides just wipe the apt-get install nvidia-driver nvidia-xconfig install and reboot into the login. I hope that helps anyone. If you've got questions I can try to help trace my steps and hope they help you. Thanks for the info OP'er.

So, I ran through all the steps on the tutorial, but looks like I'm still having an issue.

As it starts to boot, I get [FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules, and then it runs through some other checks and stops on [OK] Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes.

Can't get into a terminal from here. Thoughts on what to do?

EDIT: Post finally got approved, so let me give you some more info.
    I was able to purge the Nvidia drivers and get back to where I started, and here's everything I noticed.

First off it's an MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro Laptop
    Nvidia GTX 1060 Geforce graphics
    i7-7700HQ Processor
    16GB RAM

Whenever I use
    update-initramfs -u
    or
    apt-get install nvidia-driver nvidia-xconfig

At the end I get hit with
    "WARNING: Setting CRYPTSETUP in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf is deprecated and will stop working in the future. Use /etc/cryptsetup-initramfs/conf-hook instead."

And upon using
    nvidia-xconfig --query-gpu-info | grep 'BusID : ' | cut -d ' ' -f6
    I get an error stating it can't query the GPU, but it shows up in lspci

And then if I run through the whole tutorial I'm hit with the error I mentioned at the top of the post. Does Kali just not like to place nice with the 1060? I've looked around the forums and it seems the people having the same issue all have the same graphics card as I.
    Last edited by DoctorSpace; 2018-01-05 at 03:20 PM. Reason: adding info

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaXMagnus View Post
    Just registered to say this.. I've got a Dell Inspiron 15 gaming laptop GTX 1050 i5-7300HQ. I did all the steps got to step 5 and nothing worked. The PCI wouldn't show. sat on it for 30 mins... ran back through the suggestions. I figured well wipe it and start again. Upon purge nvidia** i booted back into the login screen logged in had a hunch.. and bam it worked.. lol i literally really dont know what i did besides just wipe the apt-get install nvidia-driver nvidia-xconfig install and reboot into the login. I hope that helps anyone. If you've got questions I can try to help trace my steps and hope they help you. Thanks for the info OP'er.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorSpace View Post
    So, I ran through all the steps on the tutorial, but looks like I'm still having an issue.

As it starts to boot, I get [FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules, and then it runs through some other checks and stops on [OK] Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes.

Can't get into a terminal from here. Thoughts on what to do?

EDIT: Post finally got approved, so let me give you some more info.
    I was able to purge the Nvidia drivers and get back to where I started, and here's everything I noticed.

First off it's an MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro Laptop
    Nvidia GTX 1060 Geforce graphics
    i7-7700HQ Processor
    16GB RAM

Whenever I use
    update-initramfs -u
    or
    apt-get install nvidia-driver nvidia-xconfig

At the end I get hit with
    "WARNING: Setting CRYPTSETUP in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf is deprecated and will stop working in the future. Use /etc/cryptsetup-initramfs/conf-hook instead."

And upon using
    nvidia-xconfig --query-gpu-info | grep 'BusID : ' | cut -d ' ' -f6
    I get an error stating it can't query the GPU, but it shows up in lspci

And then if I run through the whole tutorial I'm hit with the error I mentioned at the top of the post. Does Kali just not like to place nice with the 1060? I've looked around the forums and it seems the people having the same issue all have the same graphics card as I.
    I think there is a problem with Pascal GPUs in Linux.Try the latest 390 Driver and let me know how it goes:
    http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...x/128743/en-us

Please attach screenshot/picture/logs if you are having problems.

To the OP i just wanted to say THANK YOU so mch for sharing. i probably reinstalled kali 10 times in the process of getting the nvidia drivers working before i stumbled upon this page.