Thread: Can't Get Persistence to Work

Can't Get Persistence to Work

Running Kali Linux - Rolling via live USB.

I can boot from the live USB just fine. I've set up a separate persistence partition with more than enough space (16gb flash drive - 10gb persistence partition). But when I try to follow the instructions to setup the persistence it doesn't ever seem to work. I boot up into Kali live and punch this into the terminal:

mkdir -p /mnt/my_usb
    mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/my_usb
    echo "/ union" > /mnt/my_usb persistence.conf
    umount /dev/sdb2 && reboot

Upon rebooting I then boot into Kali Live - Persistence. I then create a leaf pad document, save it to the desktop, reboot, boot back into Kali Live persistence, and the leaf pad doc is gone.

Please help! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Is your persistence partition filesystem ext4?

Yes. It is ext4.
    Capture1.jpg

Convert that partition into ext3.

Okay so I converted that partition to ext3. I then created the "/many/my_usb" directory. But upon actually trying to mount it with "mount /dev/sdb2 /mint/my_usb" I receive the following message:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb2, missing codepage or helper program, or other error

Any idea where to go from here?

Thanks, mmusket33. Looking through those tutorials there isn't much that stands out to me in terms of things I haven't tried. The only difference I notice is that named my partition "Persistence" with a capital "P". And yet whenever I enter the command: [echo "/ union" > mount /my_usb persistence.conf] with a lower case "p".

Could this be the problem?

Also, I'm still having the same issue I listed above after reformatting the persistence partition as ext3. Can anyone confirm whether or not it should be ext3 or ext4?

To RustyNail

Enter the commands as printed in the tutorial. Use usb NOT my_usb. We use ext4. Use lower case for persistence especially when you name the partition using gparted. You may have named the partition with a capital P during the gparted formating process. The only variable is the designation for the drive ie sda sdc etc. You have to get that from the designation seen in gparted. We have found some flashdrives do not work but this is very rare for us.

Musket Teams
    Last edited by mmusket33; 2017-03-29 at 12:59.

Just wanted to say I got everything working. Thanks for the help.

Turns out I had named the partition "Persistence" with a capital "P". And then, when entering the command, I was using a lower case "p". Case sensitive screw up strikes again. To think that was all that was holding me back this entire. At any rate, thank you very much for the help. I certainly appreciate it.