Thread: Why Would Someone Pay for Kali Linux?

Why Would Someone Pay for Kali Linux?

Is it legal for someone to make money selling CDs and USB drives with Kali Linux preinstalled in them? I ask because I came across a person who is doing exactly this, and I find it insulting to the community that this person is making money off of open source software. How is this dealt with?

Not sure, but that sounds rather shady to me. I would notify Offensive Security via the contact us page, since Kali is funded by Off Sec

It is illegal to sell kali-linux. It has open source license. You are allowed to redistribute it only for free. I'm more surprised with those people who are buying it from him. Don't they know that they can download it for free? You should educate those people that it is a free software and that person may have implanted a backdoor in it. How old is that person?

I think it's legal. The GNU Project itself 'encourages people who redistribute free software to charge as much as they wish or can... You can charge nothing, a penny, a dollar, or a billion dollars. It's up to you, and the marketplace'.

I would not do it nor pay for it (but donations are a good thing).

Quote Originally Posted by mstrmnn View Post
    I think it's legal. The GNU Project itself 'encourages people who redistribute free software to charge as much as they wish or can... You can charge nothing, a penny, a dollar, or a billion dollars. It's up to you, and the marketplace'.

I would not do it nor pay for it (but donations are a good thing).
    Not with the name of kali linux. Kali linux is a trade mark of offensive security. If you are redistributing it you are supposed to attach source code and the modifications you did in kali. What that person is doing is he is only creating bootable USB of kali and selling it. I wonder why those people are buying kali-linux if they don't know a thing about open source and freeware.
    Last edited by _defalt; 2017-03-27 at 18:02.