Thread: Kali 2016.2 after-instal issue HDD not a proper boot device

Kali 2016.2 after-instal issue HDD not a proper boot device

I have successfully installed kali 2016.2 64 bit with encrypted LVM on my HDD (A WD caviar 1Tb) but after I reboot it says "Reboot and select proper Boot device - Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". I actually had installed the the 32-bit version whitout issues.

My sys specs are:

CPU: Intel i3-6100T,3.2 Ghz,3mb cache,LGA1151,35W
    RAM:Ballistix 16Gb(4x4) DDR4-3200 UDIMM 1.35V
    GPU:XFX Radeon RX 460 4GB 1220M
    Mobo:MSI Z170A-G43 PLUS(Crossfire version)

I already know that the processor supports 64-bit, this seems like a grub bootloader issue, any help?

I'd try making a bootable USB or DVD, and see if it will run on your system.

I have made a usb and the live version works fine, but the issue remains

Is grub installed in your HDD? Did you check if it is installed in your boot sector?

Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    Is grub installed in your HDD? Did you check if it is installed in your boot sector?
    While the installer says that GRUB is installed I'm not really sure though this only occurs in the 64-bit version. In the 32-bit installer I see it immediately after the BIOS finishes.

I'm actually suspicious that GRUB hasn't installed normally, but this has been persistent between installs and I'm not sure how to check

PS: I'm writing from Kali 2016.2 64-bit live without issues

Show the output of fdisk -l

Show the output of fdisk -l
    Disk /dev/sda: 931.5 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disklabel type: gpt

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
    /dev/sda1 2048 1050623 1048576 512M EFI System
    /dev/sda2 1050624 1550335 499712 244M Linux filesystem
    /dev/sda3 1550336 1953523711 1951973376 930.8G Linux filesystem

Boot into kali-live and enter mount /dev/sda1 /mnt and see if it is in /mnt/EFI/kali/grubx64.efi. If it is there then It might be got corrupted. For that run these commands:

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
    sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi
    sudo chroot /mnt
    grub-install /dev/sda
    exit
    sudo umount /mnt/dev
    sudo umount /mnt/proc
    sudo umount /mnt/sys
    sudo umount /mnt/boot/efi
    sudo umount /mnt

Boot into kali-live and enter mount /dev/sda1 /mnt and see if it is in /mnt/EFI/kali/grubx64.efi. If it is there then It might be got corrupted. For that run these commands:
    A lot of the directories are missing(/dev, /proc, /sys)

The only one in /dev/sda2 are:

config-4.6.0-kali1-amd64
    efi
    grub
    initrd.img-4.6.0-kali1-amd64
    lost+found
    System.map-4.6.0-kali1-amd64
    vmlinuz-4.6.0-kali1-amd64

There is a chance that they are in /dev/sda3 but because I setup encrypted LVM I can't mount it to /mnt because the file system is crypto_LUKS even though I have decrypted the drive in the file browser. Other than that they might just be straight up missing
    Last edited by alexertech; 2017-04-07 at 17:28.

I told you to mount only EFI partition in /mnt. Your EFI partition isn't encrypted. Once you come to know that grub is there or missing then either it is corrupted or not-installed.

Only then you are supposed to perform those list of commands after restarting kali live.

I told you to mount only EFI partition in /mnt. Your EFI partition isn't encrypted. Once you come to know that grub is there or missing then either it is corrupted or not-installed.

Only then you are supposed to perform those list of commands after restarting kali live.
    grubx64.efi is installed. That's why I went with the corrupted option.
    After it's sda2 that is missing th files. Sorry for lack of info previously

What's the error when you mount /dev, /proc, /sys? No such file or directory? It maybe in /dev/sda3. Mount /dev/sda3 instead of /dev/sda2. I can't see your swap partition, i don't know why.

What's the error when you mount /dev, /proc, /sys? No such file or directory? It maybe in /dev/sda3. Mount /dev/sda3 instead of /dev/sda2. I can't see your swap partition, i don't know why.
    I have setup encrypted LVM and mount can't mount the crypto_LUKS file system. I've already tried thinking the same thing

I'm out of ideas. I never tried with encrypted file system.

I've managed to mount the drive(http://askubuntu.com/questions/63594...m-command-line) and it's sitting in the /media/root directory. Everything looks normal but mount still can't interact with the drive. Now looking for workarounds to this

After many trials and tribulations the solution was actually disappointing. The reason grub didn't install properly was because I started the live usb in UEFI mod. When in UEFI grub won't let you select the partition on which to install and usually fails. I finally figured this out on my parrot OS install(tried it hoping it would be different. It wasn't). So if anyone has the same problem make sure you aren't booting up in UEFI mode first. Sorry for the trouble and I hope this added a little information to the troubleshooters of this forum and reminded to those who knew this that seemingly small changes can have catastrophic events.

P.S. Thanks _defalt and sorry for not trying the obvious sooner, at least now I know how to troubleshoot the grub boot loader to an extent and familiarized myself with the linux command line

I registered just to thank you for posting the solution.

I've been having exactly the same problem, and with my motherboard bios configured for uefi-only, I couldn't work out what the issue was. I didn't see any error messages during the installation, and it all seemed to be working perfectly until I shut down the computer and cold booted.

So it seems I need to temporarily set the bios to legacy boot mode, install Kali to my hdd as gpt/uefi, then set the bios back to uefi-only again.

Addendum: Well, that was obviously never going to work, as I belatedly realized that booting into legacy mode precludes installation in uefi mode. So it looks like I can't install Kali onto a hard drive for uefi booting. I tried 2016.2 and 2017.1 with the same error each time.
    Last edited by klank; 2017-04-26 at 11:38.

I found another reason for this error, and a solution that allowed me to install Kali 2017.1 in UEFI mode.

The problem was caused by the installer designating the hard drive as 'hd1' instead of 'hd0'. Presumably this was due to the fact that I use a sata hot-swap internal enclosure to add and remove hard drives as needed, and when I install a new os I boot the usb first, and then insert the hard drive. The previous Ubuntu-derived installations I've done have handled this without a problem, designating the hdd correctly as hd0 in /boot/grub/grub.cfg, but Kali doesn't seem to handle this scenario well. When I inserted the hdd before booting the usb, Kali installed correctly.

if u mount from USB rempve it then put it again then press chose Yes then Continue