Results 1 to 46 of 46

Thread: Executing 'grub-install dummy' failed.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    2017-Apr
    Posts
    7

    Executing 'grub-install dummy' failed.

    I try to dual boot Windows 10 and Kali.
    At the point where i need to install GRUB bootloader I get following error:
    "Unable to install GRUB in dummy
    Executing 'grub-install dummy' failed.
    This is a fatal error."

    I tried this: https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDe...CIe_SSD/jessie
    At the point where I need to do this: "grub-install --target=x86_64-efi /dev/nvme0n1"
    I get the error: "grub-install: error: cannot open '/boot/efi/EFI/kali/grubx64.efi' : read-only file system."

    To my System:
    - Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460
    - 8 GB RAM
    - Intel Core i7-6500U
    - 256 GB Solid-State-Laufwerk, SATA3

    Kali:
    Kali 64 Bit Version: 2016.2
    Win32 to create USB

    Booted in UEFI only, Secure Boot Disabled

    Do you have any idea what I could do?
    I hope this is enough information.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    2016-Oct
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    928
    You can skip installation of grub. After your installation is complete boot into kali-live and run these commands:

    sudo mount /dev/sda* /mnt
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    mount /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi
    mkdir /mnt/hostrun
    mount --bind /run /mnt/hostrun
    chroot /mnt
    mkdir /run/lvm
    mount --bind /hostrun/lvm /run/lvm
    grub-install /dev/sda
    update-grub
    exit
    umount /mnt/dev
    umount /mnt/proc
    umount /mnt/sys
    umount /mnt/boot/efi
    umount /mnt/hostrun
    umount /mnt/run/lvm
    umount /mnt


    Replace * in sudo mount /dev/sda* /mnt with your linux filesystem name. Like mine is /dev/sda6
    Replace + in sudo mount /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi with your EFI partition name. Mine is /dev/sda1
    Use fdisk -l to list all partitions.
    Last edited by _defalt; 2017-06-04 at 19:03.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    2017-Apr
    Posts
    7
    Thanks for your reply... I did what you wrote... I got no error, bit still I can only boot into windows.
    For * I took sda5 which is my Linux file-system. Do I need to take sda6 which is Linux swap?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    2016-Oct
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    928
    It'll obviously boot into Windows because UEFI boots that OS first whose boot loader is given 1st priority. You have to press F9 or F10 or F8 or F12 or F8 or Esc to open boot menu options. There you will find the option to boot either Windows or kali-linux. Which key is used to open boot menu options depends on your manufacturer. It's similar to opening UEFI settings where you can also change boot priority.

    Are you sure there were no errors reported while running those commands?

    Linux swap would be a wrong choice. What did you chose for **?
    Last edited by _defalt; 2017-04-08 at 16:45.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    2017-Apr
    Posts
    7
    Yes I know... But the only option which is bootable is Windows.

    For ** i choosed sda1 which is my efi partition.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    2016-Oct
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    928
    I added one more command into the list. See my edit and repeat the process. Report if you face lvmetad error after the update-grub command.
    Last edited by _defalt; 2017-04-08 at 20:36.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    2017-Apr
    Posts
    7
    There was a warning which said something like: "can't connect to lvmetdat"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    2017-Apr
    Posts
    7
    Now i even get an error. grub-install: error: cannot open `/boot/efi/EFI/kali/grubx64.efi': Input/output error.

    I got it to boot once, then i updated kali and grub was gone again after I booted Windows once.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    2016-Oct
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTrash View Post
    Now i even get an error. grub-install: error: cannot open `/boot/efi/EFI/kali/grubx64.efi': Input/output error.
    To troubleshoot this error i already added this sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi command, i don't know why it's not working.

    Quote Originally Posted by DonTrash View Post
    There was a warning which said something like: "can't connect to lvmetdat"
    Now to trouble shoot this error i added few more lines. I edited it. See my edit and run the process again.
    Last edited by _defalt; 2017-04-21 at 12:37.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    2017-Apr
    Posts
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    To troubleshoot this error i already added this sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda** /mnt/boot/efi command, i don't know why it's not working.


    Now to trouble shoot this error i added few more lines. I edited it. See my edit and run the process again.
    That worked fine! Thank you so much!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    2016-Oct
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTrash View Post
    That worked fine! Thank you so much!
    Are you telling that now you can boot kali from boot menu options?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    2017-Apr
    Posts
    7
    Yes, I can choose​ Kali which starts Grub bootloader where I can start Kali. Ich can't choose windows in Grub bootloader, (don't​ know if this is right) only in boot menu. But this is fine.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    2016-Oct
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    928
    When you login to kali. Run sudo update-grub command in the terminal. It will add windows boot loader in the grub boot menu.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    2017-Jul
    Posts
    11
    I got the executing grub install dummy failed as well, but I don't have another OS on my laptop. It's an HP Pavillion which stopped booting; system recovery didn't work. I wiped it, and installed Kali. How can I get it to boot up? Booting gets me to a grub prompt with a list of possible commands.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    2016-Oct
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by joed1960 View Post
    I got the executing grub install dummy failed as well, but I don't have another OS on my laptop. It's an HP Pavillion which stopped booting; system recovery didn't work. I wiped it, and installed Kali. How can I get it to boot up? Booting gets me to a grub prompt with a list of possible commands.
    This error comes when grub is already present in the EFI system partition so installer can't rewrite grub with the same name hence it is called install dummy failed. Skip this step from the installation and proceed to finish the installation of kali.

    Then follow the instructions given here https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ith-Windows-10

  16. #16
    Join Date
    2017-Aug
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    You can skip installation of grub. After your installation is complete boot into kali-live and run these commands:

    sudo mount /dev/sda* /mnt
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    mount /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi
    mkdir /mnt/hostrun
    mount --bind /run /mnt/hostrun
    chroot /mnt
    mkdir /run/lvm
    mount --bind /hostrun/lvm /run/lvm
    grub-install /dev/sda
    update-grub
    exit
    umount /mnt/dev
    umount /mnt/proc
    umount /mnt/sys
    umount /mnt/boot/efi
    umount /mnt/hostrun
    umount /mnt/run/lvm
    umount /mnt


    Replace * in sudo mount /dev/sda* /mnt with your linux filesystem name. Like mine is /dev/sda6
    Replace + in sudo mount /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi with your EFI partition name. Mine is /dev/sda1
    Use fdisk -l to list all partitions.
    Oh, thank you bro!!! You re awesome because i was searching for this solution...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    2016-Oct
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbosshk View Post
    Oh, thank you bro!!! You re awesome because i was searching for this solution...
    Did it work?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    2017-Feb
    Posts
    6
    Thanks alot bro it was one **** of an help. Worked perfectly... the windows boot manager didn't show up initially but after running sudo update-grub I got it up and running..
    once again thanks alot bro

  19. #19
    Join Date
    2017-Oct
    Posts
    1
    Hello, I followed every command as you said but everything happens until grub-install command. It gives following errors:
    EFI variables are not supported on this system.
    grub-install: error: efibootmgr failed to register the boot entry: No such file or directory.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    2016-Oct
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by aviraj115 View Post
    Hello, I followed every command as you said but everything happens until grub-install command. It gives following errors:
    EFI variables are not supported on this system.
    grub-install: error: efibootmgr failed to register the boot entry: No such file or directory.
    Your efivars kernel module is not loaded.

    Run this command to test it:
    #efivar-tester

    UEFI variables are not supported on this machine.

    #modprobe efivars

    Test again:
    #efivar-tester

    This will no longer report an error, and now you can install grub the same way you were doing before.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    2017-Oct
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTrash View Post
    That worked fine! Thank you so much!

    bro, i have a problem with the commands, i have this in a HP240

    Device Start End Sectors Size Type
    /dev/sda1 2048 1050623 1048576 512M EFI System
    /dev/sda2 1050624 1550335 499712 244M Linux filesystem
    /dev/sda3 1550336 976771071 975220736 465G Linux LVM


    and i replace the * with sda2

    but

    mount: mount point /mnt/dev does not exist


    my bios is diferent the legacy mode is disabled


    and i dont know wath could i do

  22. #22
    Join Date
    2016-Oct
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by damnflesh View Post
    bro, i have a problem with the commands, i have this in a HP240

    Device Start End Sectors Size Type
    /dev/sda1 2048 1050623 1048576 512M EFI System
    /dev/sda2 1050624 1550335 499712 244M Linux filesystem
    /dev/sda3 1550336 976771071 975220736 465G Linux LVM


    and i replace the * with sda2

    but

    mount: mount point /mnt/dev does not exist


    my bios is diferent the legacy mode is disabled


    and i dont know wath could i do
    It is /dev/sda3 on your disk.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    2017-Sep
    Location
    Developing, please wait...
    Posts
    6
    After entering grub install command I got an error stating that the EFI variables are not supported on my system and the EFI boot manager failed to register the boot entry no such file or directory

  24. #24
    Join Date
    2016-Oct
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by E.T.II View Post
    After entering grub install command I got an error stating that the EFI variables are not supported on my system and the EFI boot manager failed to register the boot entry no such file or directory
    Use this updated solution: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ith-Windows-10

  25. #25
    Join Date
    2018-Jan
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    You can skip installation of grub. After your installation is complete boot into kali-live and run these commands:

    sudo mount /dev/sda* /mnt
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    mount /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi
    mkdir /mnt/hostrun
    mount --bind /run /mnt/hostrun
    chroot /mnt
    mkdir /run/lvm
    mount --bind /hostrun/lvm /run/lvm
    grub-install /dev/sda
    update-grub
    exit
    umount /mnt/dev
    umount /mnt/proc
    umount /mnt/sys
    umount /mnt/boot/efi
    umount /mnt/hostrun
    umount /mnt/run/lvm
    umount /mnt


    Replace * in sudo mount /dev/sda* /mnt with your linux filesystem name. Like mine is /dev/sda6
    Replace + in sudo mount /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi with your EFI partition name. Mine is /dev/sda1
    Use fdisk -l to list all partitions.




    "does this code work with kali linux 2017 i386 ? i have the same problem after installing kali linux 2017 i386"

  26. #26
    Join Date
    2016-Oct
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by menoe View Post
    "does this code work with kali linux 2017 i386 ? i have the same problem after installing kali linux 2017 i386"
    yes, it does.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    2018-Feb
    Posts
    3
    Hi -- I seem to have this exact problem, but when I go to implement the solution above, the first line fails. The message I get is "mount: /mnt: unknown filesystem type 'linux raid member'" This is more than a bit vexing since when I noticed the installation wanted to build a software raid, I tried to turn that option off, but couldn't manage it. So I went ahead and just accepted the defaults, and it definitely claimed to be building a software raid.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance

  28. #28
    Join Date
    2018-Feb
    Posts
    8
    I followed _defalt's steps to install grub however when I execute the command
    grub-install /dev/sda
    , I get the following error:
    EFI variables are not supported on this system.
    grub-install: error: efibootmgr failed to register the boot entry: No such file or directory.
    I have checked my BIOS settings and both secure boot and legacy support are disabled.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    2014-May
    Posts
    1
    @ _default,

    So I ran into something very similar to this issue with dual booting win10. I think I know where my issue kinda is. My system is below.

    Toshiba Terca c50
    Win10 on 1st hard drive
    Kali on 2nd hard drive mount is /dev/sdc efi partition is /dev/sdc1
    other specs
    CPU core i5
    RAM 8 gigs

    When I ran the installer I didn't pick the 3 option with all the different mount points I chose the 2nd option with just the ..../home. When I ran the command mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev I get the error mount: mount point doesn't exist. Should I run re run the installer or is there a fix for this also? Sorry if that doesn't make any sense. Please let me know if you need more info on my system or steps I took.


    jyde2077

  30. #30
    Join Date
    2016-Oct
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by emmodunne View Post
    I followed _defalt's steps to install grub however when I execute the command , I get the following error:


    I have checked my BIOS settings and both secure boot and legacy support are disabled.
    Follow this: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ith-Windows-10

  31. #31
    Join Date
    2018-Feb
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    I followed your steps in that thread however I still got the same error as mentioned before:
    20180205_191719.jpg

  32. #32
    Join Date
    2016-Oct
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by jyde2077 View Post
    @ _default,

    So I ran into something very similar to this issue with dual booting win10. I think I know where my issue kinda is. My system is below.

    Toshiba Terca c50
    Win10 on 1st hard drive
    Kali on 2nd hard drive mount is /dev/sdc efi partition is /dev/sdc1
    other specs
    CPU core i5
    RAM 8 gigs

    When I ran the installer I didn't pick the 3 option with all the different mount points I chose the 2nd option with just the ..../home. When I ran the command mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev I get the error mount: mount point doesn't exist. Should I run re run the installer or is there a fix for this also? Sorry if that doesn't make any sense. Please let me know if you need more info on my system or steps I took.


    jyde2077
    What is the partition name of your kali filesystem? You mounted the wrong partition in the first command.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    2016-Oct
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by emmodunne View Post
    I followed your steps in that thread however I still got the same error as mentioned before:
    20180205_191719.jpg
    Before attempting my given solution, run modprobe efivarfs.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    2018-Feb
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    Before attempting my given solution, run modprobe efivarfs.
    I ran
    modprobe efivarfs
    .

    This returned
    modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'efivarfs': No such device
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by alexertech; 2018-02-07 at 02:59.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    2016-Oct
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    928
    Try modprobe efivars

  36. #36
    Join Date
    2018-Feb
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    Try modprobe efivars
    I got the same error:
    modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'efivars': No such device

  37. #37
    Join Date
    2016-Oct
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    928
    This error only occurs if UEFI is disabled and Legacy BIOS is enabled. Make sure this is not the case.

    Use rufus to create a bootable USB and 2018.1 image is out. If there was a bug with the earlier image it would have been fixed in this recent image.

    Interesting it is not happening with me.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    2018-Feb
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    This error only occurs if UEFI is disabled and Legacy BIOS is enabled. Make sure this is not the case.

    Use rufus to create a bootable USB and 2018.1 image is out. If there was a bug with the earlier image it would have been fixed in this recent image.

    Interesting it is not happening with me.
    I verified that UEFI Boot is enabled and Legacy Boot is disabled:
    20180215_143304.jpg

    I had installed the image 2017.3 so as you advised I downloaded the 2018.1 image and made a bootable usb using Rufus. However, during the install I got the following error:
    20180215_143428.jpg

    Kali Linux does not seem to like me

  39. #39
    Join Date
    2018-Feb
    Posts
    8
    I managed to overcome the error I mentioned above. However, grub dummy still fails to execute even with the new image. Maybe I am missing something regarding boot settings - I have posted a picture of those settings above.

    Thank you for all your help

  40. #40
    Join Date
    2016-Oct
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    928
    No your boot settings are perfectly fine. I will look into the issue.

    grub-dummy error during the OS installation happens when grub bootloader is already present in the EFI partition so installer can't overwrite it.

    You can delete the old grub by mounting the EFI partition and delete the grubx64.efi in /mnt/EFI/kali. It's a critical solution. One mistake can prevent windows to boot.

    Boot into kali-live and mount EFI partition as:
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    nautilus /mnt/EFI/kali


    Use fdisk -l to list which one is your EFI partition. It may not be /dev/sda1

  41. #41
    Join Date
    2018-Feb
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    No your boot settings are perfectly fine. I will look into the issue.

    grub-dummy error during the OS installation happens when grub bootloader is already present in the EFI partition so installer can't overwrite it.

    You can delete the old grub by mounting the EFI partition and delete the grubx64.efi in /mnt/EFI/kali. It's a critical solution. One mistake can prevent windows to boot.

    Boot into kali-live and mount EFI partition as:
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    nautilus /mnt/EFI/kali


    Use fdisk -l to list which one is your EFI partition. It may not be /dev/sda1
    I'm not attempting a dual boot. This machine did have win 10 installed and I'm trying to replace it completely with kali.

    I booted into kali live and mounted the efi partition then deleted grubx64.efi.

    I then tried to run modprobe efivarfs and I got the same error "modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'efivarfs': No such device".

    Tried to run modprobe efivars and I got the same error "modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'efivars': No such device".

  42. #42
    Join Date
    2016-Oct
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    928
    @emmodunne Now you have deleted that file, you can re-install kali.

  43. #43
    Join Date
    2018-Feb
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    @emmodunne Now you have deleted that file, you can re-install kali.
    It worked! Thanks so much for all your help!

  44. #44
    Join Date
    2018-Mar
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    You can skip installation of grub. After your installation is complete boot into kali-live and run these commands:

    sudo mount /dev/sda* /mnt
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    mount /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi
    mkdir /mnt/hostrun
    mount --bind /run /mnt/hostrun
    chroot /mnt
    mkdir /run/lvm
    mount --bind /hostrun/lvm /run/lvm
    grub-install /dev/sda
    update-grub
    exit
    umount /mnt/dev
    umount /mnt/proc
    umount /mnt/sys
    umount /mnt/boot/efi
    umount /mnt/hostrun
    umount /mnt/run/lvm
    umount /mnt


    Replace * in sudo mount /dev/sda* /mnt with your linux filesystem name. Like mine is /dev/sda6
    Replace + in sudo mount /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi with your EFI partition name. Mine is /dev/sda1
    Use fdisk -l to list all partitions.
    When I do "grub-install /dev/sda" it's gives me the error "grub-install: command not found"

  45. #45
    Join Date
    2016-Oct
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    928
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcole0482 View Post
    When I do "grub-install /dev/sda" it's gives me the error "grub-install: command not found"
    Once you mount your kali filesystem as mount /dev/sda* /mnt then show the output of
    ls /mnt/usr/sbin | grep grub

  46. #46
    Join Date
    2018-Jun
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by emmodunne View Post
    I'm not attempting a dual boot.
    I am though. I'm scared if I follow with the instructions you used, I might not be able to boot into windows anymore.
    I have been experiencing the same problems as you have up to this point.

    Does anyone have any insight as to what i can do next?

Similar Threads

  1. [Fix]"grub-pc failed to install into /target/"[Fix]
    By n0bul4r in forum How-To Archive
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2016-02-06, 13:19
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2014-07-14, 15:29
  3. Grub failed on install to USB
    By Beasleyboy in forum Installing Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2013-12-03, 21:14

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •