Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: Executing 'grub-install dummy' failed.

  1. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTrash View Post
    That worked fine! Thank you so much!

    bro, i have a problem with the commands, i have this in a HP240

    Device Start End Sectors Size Type
    /dev/sda1 2048 1050623 1048576 512M EFI System
    /dev/sda2 1050624 1550335 499712 244M Linux filesystem
    /dev/sda3 1550336 976771071 975220736 465G Linux LVM


    and i replace the * with sda2

    but

    mount: mount point /mnt/dev does not exist


    my bios is diferent the legacy mode is disabled


    and i dont know wath could i do

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by damnflesh View Post
    bro, i have a problem with the commands, i have this in a HP240

    Device Start End Sectors Size Type
    /dev/sda1 2048 1050623 1048576 512M EFI System
    /dev/sda2 1050624 1550335 499712 244M Linux filesystem
    /dev/sda3 1550336 976771071 975220736 465G Linux LVM


    and i replace the * with sda2

    but

    mount: mount point /mnt/dev does not exist


    my bios is diferent the legacy mode is disabled


    and i dont know wath could i do
    It is /dev/sda3 on your disk.

  3. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Developing, please wait...
    Posts
    6
    After entering grub install command I got an error stating that the EFI variables are not supported on my system and the EFI boot manager failed to register the boot entry no such file or directory

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by E.T.II View Post
    After entering grub install command I got an error stating that the EFI variables are not supported on my system and the EFI boot manager failed to register the boot entry no such file or directory
    Use this updated solution: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ith-Windows-10

  5. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    You can skip installation of grub. After your installation is complete boot into kali-live and run these commands:

    sudo mount /dev/sda* /mnt
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    mount /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi
    mkdir /mnt/hostrun
    mount --bind /run /mnt/hostrun
    chroot /mnt
    mkdir /run/lvm
    mount --bind /hostrun/lvm /run/lvm
    grub-install /dev/sda
    update-grub
    exit
    umount /mnt/dev
    umount /mnt/proc
    umount /mnt/sys
    umount /mnt/boot/efi
    umount /mnt/hostrun
    umount /mnt/run/lvm
    umount /mnt


    Replace * in sudo mount /dev/sda* /mnt with your linux filesystem name. Like mine is /dev/sda6
    Replace + in sudo mount /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi with your EFI partition name. Mine is /dev/sda1
    Use fdisk -l to list all partitions.




    "does this code work with kali linux 2017 i386 ? i have the same problem after installing kali linux 2017 i386"

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by menoe View Post
    "does this code work with kali linux 2017 i386 ? i have the same problem after installing kali linux 2017 i386"
    yes, it does.

  7. #27
    Hi -- I seem to have this exact problem, but when I go to implement the solution above, the first line fails. The message I get is "mount: /mnt: unknown filesystem type 'linux raid member'" This is more than a bit vexing since when I noticed the installation wanted to build a software raid, I tried to turn that option off, but couldn't manage it. So I went ahead and just accepted the defaults, and it definitely claimed to be building a software raid.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance

  8. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    7
    I followed _defalt's steps to install grub however when I execute the command
    grub-install /dev/sda
    , I get the following error:
    EFI variables are not supported on this system.
    grub-install: error: efibootmgr failed to register the boot entry: No such file or directory.
    I have checked my BIOS settings and both secure boot and legacy support are disabled.

  9. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1
    @ _default,

    So I ran into something very similar to this issue with dual booting win10. I think I know where my issue kinda is. My system is below.

    Toshiba Terca c50
    Win10 on 1st hard drive
    Kali on 2nd hard drive mount is /dev/sdc efi partition is /dev/sdc1
    other specs
    CPU core i5
    RAM 8 gigs

    When I ran the installer I didn't pick the 3 option with all the different mount points I chose the 2nd option with just the ..../home. When I ran the command mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev I get the error mount: mount point doesn't exist. Should I run re run the installer or is there a fix for this also? Sorry if that doesn't make any sense. Please let me know if you need more info on my system or steps I took.


    jyde2077

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    /dev/sda
    Posts
    865
    Quote Originally Posted by emmodunne View Post
    I followed _defalt's steps to install grub however when I execute the command , I get the following error:


    I have checked my BIOS settings and both secure boot and legacy support are disabled.
    Follow this: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ith-Windows-10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •