I want to create a custom build that is instantly deployable without having to install it first. However, all of the recipes and examples that I have seen for custom builds involving having to install it rather than being able to use a custom build immediately after booting the ISO from USB or DVD. I love the ISO of DOOM recipe in which the build uses openvpn to initiate a connection with home when it is deployed but it also requires installation. Problems with the "Live" build method:

• SSH doesn't start automatically. I can configure SSH to autostart after the next boot but that isn't possible if I am not doing the "Install" deployment.
  • The "Install" deployment requires some storage in order to install the image and I never know whether the machine on which the ISO is booted is headless or has existing storage that would be damaged or wiped out with the "preseed" installation script.
  • The pre-set custom wallpaper doesn't show up automatically. I can switch to it under desktop preferences but that requires a manual change rather than the custom wallpaper being used as default.

Does anyone have experience or advice on building a instantly deployable "Live" image that doesn't require installation?

Thanks - M