Thread: running out storage on root Partition

Exclamation running out storage on root Partition

Hello Fellow kali Users
    After using my dual booted for some months am facing some storage
    problems as y root (/) partition has very less storage left and my Home (/home) partition has atleast 219 GB
    free storage for more clear view i have attached the img down

Screenshot from 2017-05-05 20-48-19.jpg

so my qus is that can i increase my root partition by decreasing my home partition
    and how can i do that & can i shrink my home partition to a size of 20 gb atleast

things that i have tried

tried live booting gparted disc to increase the root partition but it didn't worked

Why it didn't work with live gparted? Any errors? That's why i recommend All files in one partition, easier to shrink and extend storage.

when i tried with live gparted its says you cant unmount root partition and even its not letteing decrease or increase my root partition

Hi, I don't know much but interestingly I did exactly this earlier this evening.

You have to run kali from a live usb, then run gparted. I followed this tutorial - https://www.rootusers.com/use-gparte...ive-partition/ - just scroll down to where he gets to the GUI after the CLI. It all kinda makes sense from there even tho he's using a much older version of gparted than we have.

It gave me some scary messages but I thought meh and did it anyway and everything worked out fine, no issues at all.

I removed my USB stick before shutting down the system tho and it went bananas - I'd say power the thing off, remove stick, power back up, if you want to avoid a heart attack.

Hope this helps, this is only my 2nd post here, would be cool if I could actually contribute something to someone as I think a lot of the time i'm going to be the one asking the questions instead of answering them...!

thanks man ill try