Thread: Problem while booting Kali Linux (conflict with stolen region)

Problem while booting Kali Linux (conflict with stolen region)

Hey everyone! It's my first post here, I hope I'm not doing things wrong ^^ (I hope I'm in the correct category and all).

I recently got an oooold PC from a company that doesn't want it anymore, so I said "Why not?". I installed Kali Linux on it after I wiped Windows XP. Nothing went wrong during the installation. BUT. When I boot on Kali, there's this error:

[drm:i915_gem_init_stolen] [i915] *ERROR* conflict detected with stolen region: [0x3f800000 - 0x3ffe0000]

And it just doesn't want to boot. It's just saying me this, and nothing more happens. I'm totally lost, I don't understand this message ^^'. Plz halp D:

The PC is a HP Compaq, Pentium 4, 2.80GHz, 1Go of RAM, integrated graphic card. (Like I said, old computer =w=)

Thanks in advance for your answers ^^.

Have you looked up the issue?

What version of Kali did you install?

Is this error appear before grub starts or after when grub boots kali? I mean either the error is shown by the kernel or BIOS depends when it appears.

Hey, thanks for answering!

+Mister_X
    I looked up the issue quickly, but the only things I found are people who have this error showing, but are able to boot afterwards. I installed the i386 version (because this old PC is obviously 32 bits =w=) downloaded fron the official Kali website.

+_defalt
    It appears after, when grub boots kali. And yeah, when I boot kali normally this error appears, but I can boot in recovery without problems.

(btw, sorry if I do mistakes, I'm french ^^')

I'm a noob, too. If the search engines are right it's a problem between an Intel GPU and Grub. It's not Kali-specific. Maybe someone here knows a solution. Perhaps you'll find one on your own. Have you considered things like this?

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...55&postcount=8

Thanks for the link, I'll try this!

UPDATE:
    Nah... I tried to add video=eDP-1:d at the end of GRUB_CMDLINE= in /etc/default/grub and it doen't do anything... Anyone..? I'd really like this PC to worK..

UPDATE:
    Okay guys, I fixed it ^^'! I just tried the light version of kali i386, the message is still showing on boot, but the system boots fine! Thank you all
    Last edited by Alpha>/dev/null; 2017-05-08 at 16:04. Reason: Merge posts