Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual booting Kali/Win10 - 4 primary partitions already taken

Here is what I got for your previous inquiries, _defalt...

1) "Boot to Kali live and run mount /dev/sda4 /mnt."
    root@kali:~# mount /dev/sda4 /mnt
    mount: special device /dev/sda4 does not exist
    root@kali:~# mount /dev/sda4
    mount: can't find /dev/sda4 in /etc/fstab
    root@kali:~#
    ... Then is when I noticed that the usb was seen as /dev/sdb4...
    root@kali:~# mount /dev/sdb4 /mnt

2) "Then go to the /mnt folder and see what it has."
    When I navigate to: Places > Computer > mnt, I see 4 items in that directory:
    > Hewlett-Packard
    HPSF_Rep.txt
    HP_WSD.dat
    > $RECYCLE.BIN
    ... [There's a link to a screenshot that was uploaded to Imgur towards the bottom of this post, in step3]...
    = And going a level deeper, I see:
    The contents of .../mnt/$RECYCLE.BIN:
    desktop.ini

The contents of .../mnt/Hewlett-Packard:
    > BIOS
    > BIOSUpdate
    > SystemDiags

The contents of .../mnt/Hewlett-Packard/BIOS:
    > Current
    > New
    > Previous

The contents of .../mnt/Hewlett-Packard/BIOSUpdate:
    CryptRSA.efi
    CryptRSA32.efi
    HpBiosUpdate.efi
    HpBiosUpdate.s09
    HpBiosUpdate.sig
    HpBiosUpdate32.efi
    HpBiosUpdate32.s09
    HpBiosUpdate32.sig

The contents of .../mnt/Hewlett-Packard/SystemDiags:
    CryptRSA.efi
    CryptRSA32.efi
    SystemDiags.efi
    SystemDiags.log
    SystemDiags.s09
    SystemDiags.sig
    SystemDiags32.efi
    SystemDiags32.s09
    SystemDiags32.sig
    SystemDiagsCeeHistory.log
    VideoMem.udm
    VideoMem32.udm

The contents of .../mnt/Hewlett-Packard/BIOS/Current:
    01448.bin
    01448.sig

The contents of .../mnt/Hewlett-Packard/BIOS/New:
    [empty] - (I don't think there are any hidden files or folders in here, but I may have just not known how to look correctly).

The contents of .../mnt/Hewlett-Packard/BIOS/Previous:
    01448.bin
    01448.sig

3) "Also upload the screenshot of its contents." A link to the screenshot of /mnt's contents, on Imgur is: http://imgur.com/a/SZg6h

=== === === ===

@ BigLoser - I can see myself doing that in the future, but I still have to keep a Win OS available for now so that I can continue to mess around with certain things. If I get lucky and acquire an additional computer, I may just have Win10 on one and Kali on the other. A setup like that is still too far out from where I am now (I haven't gotten around to thinking about it much yet).
    But, I want to get past this dual boot issue first, just so that I'm familiar with and can then better follow along with other's questions and maybe answer them.

=== === === ===

I got a chance to try booting an older WinXP machine to a bootable 32bit Kali Live USB yesterday, but it froze after the boot screen. First, I went into the BIOS and changed the boot order to all USB options (I believe there were four of them), because it would always boot to Windows when the HDD option was present in there. Then I changed the order of the other boot priority to have the USB above the HDD. And then the machine seemed to boot fine to the USB. It reached the first boot screen and I chose the option to boot to USB with persistence, like I always do. Then it froze about 1-2 minutes on another splash-type screen with a message:
    "Loading /live/vmlinuz... ok"
    "Loading /live/initrd.img..."

I had enough time to try it twice... first booting with the live usb option, and then again with just the live option, but I got the same results each time.

I haven't really had a chance to search for any clues as to what might be the problem there. The WinXP machine that I tried booting to the Kali USB on was of a 32bit architecture. I guess maybe the hardware (or the OS) might just be too old. I may try to make bootable USBs of a couple of older versions of Linux to see if that works. I dunno yet.
    Last edited by aptpupil; 2017-05-14 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Some type-o's that I didn't previously catch...
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't give a man a fish and feed yourself instead. He's a grown man. And fishing's not that hard.

HP tools is turned out to be the most important partition. It contains images of BIOS recovery. In case of BIOS failure you can recover your current BIOS again without flashing it again with USB. You can also downgarade the BIOS version if BIOS update fails to install. Don't touch this partition.

You have 2 options:
    1)Using EaseUS partition manager you cam convert MBR into GPT without any loss of data. It updates your partition scheme.
    2)Though the 1st option is better yet you can also clone your Recovery partiton in your external hard disk and then use that partition for kali. For cloning the partition you can use EaseUs partition manager.

I downloaded the EaseUS Partition Master from http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/personal.html. The filename of it is epm.exe and it shows as 51.5MB. Can I use that *.exe from within Linux; or should I use it from within Windows; or maybe try to get a Linux version via the Synaptic package manager?
    The site and download pages didn't mention which OS it was intended for. I didn't think *.exe files were intended for Linux, but I'm still new to some basic Kali-Linux things. I kind've had to jump ahead a bit to 2-3 things, and then when I get those done I'll have more time to step backward and learn the ins & outs of things instead of just learning as I go.
    Another hint (to me) that it's probably intended for Windows is that in the user guide (a *.pdf) for the software, it does mention Windows7, but only during the uninstall process. Other than that vague mention of an OS, I couldn't find any other mentions of one.

It's a big relief to have and external drive to make an ISO of the existing HDD to fall back on in case of a mistake. That, and I wasn't aware that MBR could be converted to GPT without data loss. Thanks a ton for your help, _defalt.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't give a man a fish and feed yourself instead. He's a grown man. And fishing's not that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by aptpupil View Post
    The site and download pages didn't mention which OS it was intended for. It does mention Windows7, but only during the uninstall process. Other than that vague mention of an OS, I couldn't find any other mentions of one.
    They assume that user has enough knowledge about that .exe applications only run in Windows.