Thread: Question regarding liveusb version of Kali and wireless drivers for TP-LINK TL-WN722N

Question regarding liveusb version of Kali and wireless drivers for TP-LINK TL-WN722N

Greetings. I made this post because after days of searching and trying stuff I could not find a solution-answer to my problem-question. So, I burned Linux kali with the 4.9.0-kali3-amd64 kernel to a 32 gb usb3 flash drive and enabled encrypted persistence. I also bought a TP-LINK TL-WN722N wireless network usb adapter in order to be mobile with kali's use. Now, my questions:

1) Where do I find and how do I install the correct drivers for my device ( and how do I make sure that they will not be discarded at reboot )
    2) Whenever I update kali with apt-get update and apt-get-upgrade, will my changed be saved in the persistence partition or should I avoid updating.
    3) Should I install kali on my usb rather than make a live usb? (are 32 gb enough and will it perform better or worse?)

Thank you for your patience,
    sincerely a linux newbie

Bad news for you :/

You can't use your new tl-WN722n with kali, and i will explain why:

1) look on the information stick on your wifi adapter.
    You will see mac address, and near it, you will find the version of the adapter.
    if your are "V2" : your adapter use a "realtek" proc, not an "athero".

2) TP-Link, in it support web site, explain that the V2 driver are available only for kernel up to 3.19.......and kali is on 4.0

So, what's next.... hope that someone create a new driver, or find someone on ebay that sell an old V1 WL-722n

Thanks for the reply. I noticed the V2 and got really annoyed.
    Look, I'll be honest, I'm not used to this kind of stuff, so bear with me;
    Could you possibly help me find a wireless usb adapter that I could use in conjunction with Kali?
    It should enable packet sniffing and injection.
    Would the Alfa-AWUS036NHA do?

Yes the Alfa-AWUS036NHA works perfect because it uses Atheros AR9271 chipset a.k.a V1 that was in the TL-WN722N