Thread: usb install problem on macbook pro

Question usb install problem on macbook pro

Hi, I want to install Kali on a USB so I can boot to Kali with my MacBook Pro.
    tl;dr; followed official instructions, try to boot from the usb, get blank (dark) screen.

The machine is MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015), 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 with 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Running macOS 10.12 (sierra)
    The stick is SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0, 32gb.

I followed the instructions here:
    http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...ve-usb-install

I downloaded the image and followed the verification steps:
    kali-linux-2016.2-amd64.iso

I dd'd the image onto the usb stick. No error messages or warnings.
    Note: the macbook (booted in macos) shows it as a Volume in MS-DOS FAT16 format with 105mb on disk: it has three folders.
    EFI, install, live.

I power down the machine, and holding the 'option' key, start the machine up.
    I get the screen asking which disk to boot from. I choose the yellow EFIBoot disk icon.
    Then, nothing. Well, you can see the screen is a little brighter than if the machine is off, but nothing else happens.

And after that I could no longer boot back into macOS.
    I finally got it back by resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) after some googling.

So, any ideas on what I did wrong? Anyone see this one before?
    thanks,
    --Tim

hi, the partitions Ms Fat16 should have 500MB, the create booting using TransMac software

Thank you for that info. I finally decided to not use the mac after I saw there were problems other people had.
    I bought a refurbished dell laptop and installed Kali on that. Not sure why I didn't have the 500mb on the usb. I think you're saying that TransMac would have let me set that. I hope that clue helps someone in the future.
    thanks!