Thread: Do Kali 2017 and Windows XP get along?

Do Kali 2017 and Windows XP get along?

I made a bootable Kali 2107.1 Live USB drive with persistence (32bit). It boots fine on a HP pavilion dv7 laptop with Windows 10 (64bit) installed on it. I've been using it off and on for some time now.
    The problem I'm wondering about is what happens when I try booting to the USB on a Gateway (circa '2002') desktop. That Gateway computer has Windows XP Home Edition installed on it (32bit). When I boot to the USB on the Gateway, the computer seems to boot fine at first. When the boot screen appears, I choose the option to boot with persistence, and then it hangs on the following screen. There're two lines of text on that screen. They are: "Loading /live/vmlinuz... ok" and "Loading /live /initrd.img..."

I admit that I was a little pressed for time, but I waited until I finally gave up on it being a good boot. Normally, in case the machine might have been sluggish or something, I would've left to do other things and came back and checked it maybe an hour later before calling it quits. I've tried booting to the USB drive on the WinXP computer twice so far, but no luck (with the same thing happening both times).
    The whole reason that I went with the 32bit version of Kali-live instead of the 64bit version was so that it would work on that machine if it had to. Now, my question is, "Shouldn't that be the case, that a 32bit version of Kali-Linux Live USB will work on more machines (both 32bit and 64bit) than a 64bit version (only 64bit machines)? If that's the case, what should I consider that might be the problem? Do I need an earlier version/flavor of Linux to be compatible on an older WinXP machine?
    I should mention that I did have the same WinXP machine dual booting to both Windows XP and Linux a long time ago. I forget the exact version of Linux that I used (it may have been debian or ubuntu), but it was text based only, with a red background and white text.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't give a man a fish and feed yourself instead. He's a grown man. And fishing's not that hard.

That completely depends on the hardware. It is independent of the other OS you are dual booting with. There can be hardware incompatibilities with the hardware or there can be the problems with the kali itself to boot in old machines.

I'm currently looking into unebootin to make a few live USB's of some earlier Linux distros. The ones I was going to try on it next are: Backtrack1.0 (2006), Debian3.0 (2002), and Debian2.2 (2000).
    Since I had a Linux distro working on it in the past, I think I just need to get an older version to boot it to. If the Backtrack1.0 distro happens to work, then I'll wipe the other two USB drives and also try some distros that're a year or two newer than that one. If none of them happen to work, then I may try some other distros that were released around '2000' or maybe a year or two before then.
    I haven't read enough reviews yet, so I haven't dll'ed unebootin, but there's a download for Linux at https://unetbootin.github.io/#features. So far, it looks like it's supposed to enable one to select a distro and its version and make a bootable live USB with persistence based on that info. Being curious, I looked to see if unebootin was in the synaptic package manager, but was surprised that I didn't see it there. Maybe I have to update my package list or something, or just download it from the above link.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't give a man a fish and feed yourself instead. He's a grown man. And fishing's not that hard.