Thread: Kali 2017.1 Fresh Install, VMware Workstation, RTL8812au fails to function

Kali 2017.1 Fresh Install, VMware Workstation, RTL8812au fails to function

Hello all. Upfront apologies for my maiden post on kali.org regarding an issue that's existing for years and people are probably fed up with answering. I also apologize if there is an existing thread about this issue for 2017.1 (I have yet to find one).

So the basics... Running Ubuntu 16.04LTS base OS with a fresh install of Kali 2017.1 inside of VMware Workstation Player. No issues with OS install.

I was unsuccessful in getting my ALFA AWUS036AC USB wifi adapter functioning in the last distro of Kali and was super excited when 2017.1 got released featuring RTL88xxau support (RTL8812au is listed for this card). Looked super easy to install and take off running.

As soon as I logged into my fresh 2017.1 VM, I used the NAT internet connection (supplied by the same card in question on my host) and ran apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, and apt-get dist-upgrade to ensure I was as up to date as I thought I could be. I then followed the instructions on the Kali site (and others) and simply ran:

#apt-get install realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms

The driver installs without issue, but when I connect the USB port through VMware, the card powers off and never comes back on. It shows that the VM is in control of that port and device, but there's no magic happening. Even after rebooting, Kali doesn't power on the device. Running lsusb returns the device name, so its recognized to an extent but I get nothing else out of it. No connectivity, no listed wireless networks, not even a power light showing its running. I've tried loads of forums for historical issues previously on 2.0 and never managed to get it working. Instead of wasting hours and hours this go-around, I thought I'd lob out the issue and see if anyone else in the community has experienced as similar problem with 2017.1 that aimed to support the RTL88xxau suite a little more than in the past. If there's any more info i can provide that may aid in resolving this, I'd be glad to jump on it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

you neeed to use USB 3.0 port and enable USB 3.0 support in your VM.

Thanks for the reply kcdtv. The card is indeed in a USB 3.0 slot and 3.0 enabled in VMware. Is there anything within the actual Kali VM that I need to enable through the terminal?

Thanks again for your help!

Hello again kcdtv. I clocked another thread you provided some advice on https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ach-help/page4

I built a new VM with Kali 2017.2 to start from scratch and follow your advice. Ran the following after first boot
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt dist-upgrade
    #double-checked amd64 headers were installed, then followed your instructions on cloning the git package. I get a module error when running make. Others on the thread you posted seem to be having success. I just wonder if I'm missing something. I tried installing the latest dkms package, as mentioned before, and that installed but the card didn't function at all, even though all VM settings were correct and VM packages were installed on the guest. Started over and attempted to follow your advice from the other thread, errors there, no joy. Is it about time for me to throw in the towel on the RTL8812au driver for the AWUS036AC and pursue another card that's easily supported by the latest Kali distros? Hate to quit as I'm very stubborn and enjoy learning all of this but I feel like I've hit a wall lol

Hi!
    If you would show the errors messages we could have a clue to guide you.
    You said that the dkms package is installed.
    So we assume the module is intaled
    Plug the device and show us the stdout of
    Code:
    lsusb
    Code:
    iwconfig
    Code:
    lsmod
    Code:
    rfkill list
    cya
    Last edited by kcdtv; 2017-05-19 at 13:50. Reason: typo in ine given command