Hello all. Upfront apologies for my maiden post on kali.org regarding an issue that's existing for years and people are probably fed up with answering. I also apologize if there is an existing thread about this issue for 2017.1 (I have yet to find one).

So the basics... Running Ubuntu 16.04LTS base OS with a fresh install of Kali 2017.1 inside of VMware Workstation Player. No issues with OS install.

I was unsuccessful in getting my ALFA AWUS036AC USB wifi adapter functioning in the last distro of Kali and was super excited when 2017.1 got released featuring RTL88xxau support (RTL8812au is listed for this card). Looked super easy to install and take off running.

As soon as I logged into my fresh 2017.1 VM, I used the NAT internet connection (supplied by the same card in question on my host) and ran apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, and apt-get dist-upgrade to ensure I was as up to date as I thought I could be. I then followed the instructions on the Kali site (and others) and simply ran:

#apt-get install realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms

The driver installs without issue, but when I connect the USB port through VMware, the card powers off and never comes back on. It shows that the VM is in control of that port and device, but there's no magic happening. Even after rebooting, Kali doesn't power on the device. Running lsusb returns the device name, so its recognized to an extent but I get nothing else out of it. No connectivity, no listed wireless networks, not even a power light showing its running. I've tried loads of forums for historical issues previously on 2.0 and never managed to get it working. Instead of wasting hours and hours this go-around, I thought I'd lob out the issue and see if anyone else in the community has experienced as similar problem with 2017.1 that aimed to support the RTL88xxau suite a little more than in the past. If there's any more info i can provide that may aid in resolving this, I'd be glad to jump on it. Any help is greatly appreciated.