Thread: Samsung NP-N110 Netbook, Not all keys working. Works with USB keyboard

Samsung NP-N110 Netbook, Not all keys working. Works with USB keyboard

I am trying to teach myself Linux so I will likely forget some necessary info. Please let me know what else I need to post to find a solution. Thank you for your patience.

Samsung Netbook NP-N110
    cat /etc/issue =
    Kali GNU/Linux Rolling /n /l

Using the laptop keyboard, the only characters that work ar "eryumik,ol.p;/[']4567890-=".

Using an external keyboard all the keys work fine.

I have gone in to the Keyboard settings and have it on English US and QWERTY. Unable to find any other settings anywhere.

This is probably a simple fix, but as this is my first Linux install I am stumped. I have searched the forums and google and failed to find a solution. Any help is greatly appreciated.

*So I got a warning that I did not supply enough information. I was trying to be clear that I am a new user so I will again state that I followed the forums to get all the info that I knew how to get. I am extremely new to Linux so will need to know what info and how to get it above. Make and model of netbook are above as well as what I found when trying to get Kali version. If this is not enough please let me know what you need. Thanks again for your help.
    Last edited by Subterfug3; 2017-05-18 at 02:06.

Hmm, can you verify all the keys work booting into Windows, or another o/s? The keyboard settings you mention should work fine.

I had Windows 7 on it previously and was typing on it and such and everything worked fine. I did notice that while trying to boot from the USB Kali image that F2 would not get into settings, I was going to try and do a reinstall without the USB keyboard to see if it would install the approprate driver for the netbook keyboard. It is starting to look like more of a hardware issue. Maybe something happened to the keyboard when I transported it last. I'll check into this and maybe pull the laptop apart and inspect. Thank you for your input grid.

UPDATE:
    You steered me in the right direction grid. Even though it worked in Windows while backing stuff up, something happened to the keyboard in transit to my new location. I went into BIOS and entered the password area to test the keyboard and was running into the same issue. I was quick to assume it was something within Linux that I didn't know about...hehe.
    Last edited by maiki; 2017-05-18 at 08:39. Reason: Merge posts

No problem! Sounds like you've got a hardware issue. My personal take on troubleshooting is always rule out hardware problems first...saved me a lot of time over the years.