Thread: apt-get errors - "configured multiple times"

apt-get errors - "configured multiple times"

Hi guys,

Bit of a noob question perhaps, but I'm new to Kali & Linux in general so 'learning as I go'..

When performing apt-get update, I get the following:

root@kali:~# apt-get update
    Hit:1 http://deb.i2p2.no unstable InRelease
    Hit:2 http://repo.kali.org/kali kali-bleeding-edge InRelease
    Hit:3 http://ftp.hands.com/kali kali-rolling InRelease
    Reading package lists... Done
    W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_GB) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target DEP-11-icons (main/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Packages (contrib/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Packages (contrib/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Packages (contrib/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Translations (contrib/i18n/Translation-en_GB) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Translations (contrib/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target DEP-11 (contrib/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target DEP-11 (contrib/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target DEP-11-icons (contrib/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Packages (non-free/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Packages (non-free/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Packages (non-free/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Translations (non-free/i18n/Translation-en_GB) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Translations (non-free/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target DEP-11 (non-free/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target DEP-11 (non-free/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target DEP-11-icons (non-free/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_GB) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target DEP-11-icons (main/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Packages (contrib/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Packages (contrib/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Packages (contrib/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Translations (contrib/i18n/Translation-en_GB) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Translations (contrib/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target DEP-11 (contrib/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target DEP-11 (contrib/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target DEP-11-icons (contrib/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Packages (non-free/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Packages (non-free/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Packages (non-free/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Translations (non-free/i18n/Translation-en_GB) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target Translations (non-free/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target DEP-11 (non-free/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target DEP-11 (non-free/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    W: Target DEP-11-icons (non-free/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list:10
    root@kali:~#

I'm pretty sure it's updating as it should, but the 'multiple times' errors are irritating. How can I fix it, and more importantly, what did I do wrong in the first place to make this happen?

Many thanks in advance!

This happens when you keep incorrect repositories.
    Show the output of cat /etc/apt/sources.list