Thread: how performance of kali linux on raspberry pi ?

Talking how performance of kali linux on raspberry pi ?

Hello everyone
    I want to ask something
    I want to buy a raspberry pi 3 for me to learn about penetration testing
    I'm very very beginner, is raspi 3 suitable for me to make pentest machine?
    How is its performance? Is it enough for a beginner like me?
    I've read on google, there written kali linux in raspi will feel lag when running tools based on gui?
    I've tried searching on google about the performance of kali linux on raspi, but have not found a satisfactory answer
    Anyone who uses kali linux on raspi, raspi 3 in particular
    I ask for its performance testimony
    thx you very much

It's an OK one.

There are ways you can use it without buying new hardware:
    1. Live USB. There are limitations on what you can install (due to RAM) -> I advise you use weekly images
    2. Live USB with persistence -> same advice as in 1
    3. Use VMware player and download the kali VM. Note that if you want to play with WiFi, SDR, bluetooth, there are limitations due to virtualization (WiFi: Must be USB, bluetooth: won't work, SDR will be limited due to the amount of bandwidth you need).

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_X View Post
    It's an OK one.

There are ways you can use it without buying new hardware:
    1. Live USB. There are limitations on what you can install (due to RAM) -> I advise you use weekly images
    2. Live USB with persistence -> same advice as in 1
    3. Use VMware player and download the kali VM. Note that if you want to play with WiFi, SDR, bluetooth, there are limitations due to virtualization (WiFi: Must be USB, bluetooth: won't work, SDR will be limited due to the amount of bandwidth you need).
    i've tried kali linux live usb with persistence before. and i interest with kali linux after that
    and i think i must have a pentest machine to learn about kali linux
    i've think to buy a laptop,but i just a student. i dont have a lot of money
    so i think i must buy a cheap pentest machine,so i can learn on it
    and then i know kali linux can install on raspberry pi,so i interest with it
    and also what make me interest with raspberry pi is it low power,portable and flexible.

Do you have references about the performance of kali linux on raspberry pi?
    I would be very grateful if anyone has it
    Because I've tried searching on google and have not found a satisfactory result

Quote Originally Posted by gufkl View Post
    i've think to buy a laptop,but i just a student. i dont have a lot of money
    Kali is running fine on old machines. Buy an used Thinkpad, Dell ... with a Core2Duo-CPU and 2, better 4 GB RAM for around 50 $ and enjoy the comfort of diplay and keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrmnn View Post
    Kali is running fine on old machines. Buy an used Thinkpad, Dell ... with a Core2Duo-CPU and 2, better 4 GB RAM for around 50 $ and enjoy the comfort of diplay and keyboard.
    Thank you for the advice
    But I'm also quite interested in the iot concept
    So maybe i can also learn iot with raspi
    Thank you very much for suggestion

I have Raspberry Pi 3 running the latest stable version of Kali Linux. I have a Windows desktop running VirtualBox so I can practice pen testing, but I wanted something more hands on so I could learn the practical applications of information systems security hardware and software. I definitely recommend building it outside of a virtual environment; it is much more fulfilling. Although, I recommend learning initially in a virtual environment because building it from a Raspberry Pi 3 is more difficult than building a testing environment in VirtualBox or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by alpha_scrub View Post
    I have Raspberry Pi 3 running the latest stable version of Kali Linux. I have a Windows desktop running VirtualBox so I can practice pen testing, but I wanted something more hands on so I could learn the practical applications of information systems security hardware and software. I definitely recommend building it outside of a virtual environment; it is much more fulfilling. Although, I recommend learning initially in a virtual environment because building it from a Raspberry Pi 3 is more difficult than building a testing environment in VirtualBox or whatever.
    Thank you for the reply sir
    and Thanks for the advice, but i plan to buy raspberry pi because i am interested in pentest and want to Learn more about pentest, so i want to make pentest machine cheap and flexible (if i get bored with pentest activity, i can experiment with raspberry pi).
    can i ask you about kali linux on raspberry pi 3?
    How long does it take to open metasploit?
    And how does it perform when running maltego, wireshark, burpsuite and other gui-based tools?
    And how many micro sd sizes is needed to install all tools ("kali-linux-full" metapackages) in raspberry pi?
    Sorry for my bad english
    Thank you very much
    Last edited by gufkl; 2017-07-23 at 13:44.

Smile It's unstable by always...

When I use raspberry pi 3 model b+ with kali, most times its filesystem corrupted and needed to use "fsck" command which is needed before boot means we cannot access with wireless, so hdmi screen and keyboard needed. So, in my opinion, use raspbian the default os for raspberry pi. I currently use RaspAP and real-vnc-server to get wireless access on mobile and desktops, it never fails and we can connect within 20 seconds as hotspot starts quickly when booting and i connect to vnc server using real-vnc-viewer available for android and desktops too.

Quote Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
    When I use raspberry pi 3 model b+ with kali, most times its filesystem corrupted and needed to use "fsck" command which is needed before boot means we cannot access with wireless, so hdmi screen and keyboard needed. So, in my opinion, use raspbian the default os for raspberry pi. I currently use RaspAP and real-vnc-server to get wireless access on mobile and desktops, it never fails and we can connect within 20 seconds as hotspot starts quickly when booting and i connect to vnc server using real-vnc-viewer available for android and desktops too.
    Hi thx for your respones
    But i not face that problems,kali linux run flawlessly
    But i not use vnc or ssh,i use monitor and mouse & keyboard
    Can you help me bro? I tried to create Backdoor in originial APK with the tools named TheFatRat
    The Decompiling process is very slow,i waiting about half hour and its not complete... I tried option "1" and "old fatrat method",but the result is same,loooong wait and even not complete
    I use kali linux 2017.1 on Raspberry pi 3 model B
    I really apreciate if you want help me
    Thx

Installing the re4son-kernel will almost double the speed and using a really fast SD card (I'm using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB for my compiles) will improve it even more.
    I'd also add a swap file when you are compiling stuff on it.
    Please let us know how you go.

@Animesh, What sd card are you using? Are there any hints relating to your problem in the journal, something unusual during shutdown? I've been running about a dozen Pi's with Kali 24x7 for years and never had any problems. I've always been using sandisk ultra for dev and sandisk extreme pro for prod.

Can we use this kernel on 2017.2?

Sure can :-)

I'm running it on most of my Pi's without any problems and will refresh my unofficial images over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by re4son View Post
    Installing the re4son-kernel will almost double the speed and using a really fast SD card (I'm using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB for my compiles) will improve it even more.
    I'd also add a swap file when you are compiling stuff on it.
    Please let us know how you go.

@Animesh, What sd card are you using? Are there any hints relating to your problem in the journal, something unusual during shutdown? I've been running about a dozen Pi's with Kali 24x7 for years and never had any problems. I've always been using sandisk ultra for dev and sandisk extreme pro for prod.
    is your kernel speed up maltego?

Definitely