Thread: Raspberry Pi 3 Best Adapter (Range and Compatibility)

Raspberry Pi 3 Best Adapter (Range and Compatibility)

Overall:
    I am looking for a suggestion for what wifi adapter I should buy. I have been looking at a few different Alfa models and can't decide what I need to be able to be utilized by Kali on my Raspberry PI3. **Not only that, but I also have a WIFI hotspot near by that is free to use for the general public that I would like to utilize. The wifi source is through walls, so I am looking into a high gain/power/sensitivity setup with a parabolic dish. Basically the strongest I can get within FCC guidelines. I want be able to test different "attacks" on my own wifi network (no internet) and then switch gears and browse the web through that wifi hotspot. Is there any wifi adapter that can do both well? I have seen AWUS036NHA, which is stated to be 800mW and AWUSO36NH that comes in 1000mW and 2000mW. I was thinking about going for the AWUSO36NH, due to the higher power, but changed my mind after seeing that there have been issues with this working with Kali on Raspberry PI3 (mixed reviews about compatibility with Kali on PI, overheating issues, and issues with not all modes working). Before I count that one out and go with the AWUS036NHA, which has great reviews (including a few saying it does work on the PI3), I would like to see how the other model worked for others.

Back Story:
    I have been cranking away SLOWLY at getting Kali working, since the laptop I bought (Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5106) has a Supervisor Password (with no way around it). The laptop doesn't allow me to change boot order (for a Live USB/CD) or set Hyper-V. I tried using VirtualBox (which sucked). I finally got Kali working on VMWare, but had issues getting adapters to work (both internal and an old Wireless-G USB Compact USB Network Adapter with SpeedBooster™ Dongle. Anyway, ended up moving to running Kali on my PI3 (to avoid virtualization issues altogether). Got it working using a few SQUASHFS images of Kali (required for my BerryBoot bootloader) on my Raspberry PI only to find out the internal Wifi card will not work on Monitor Mode. Some say the internal wifi could work with a Firmware Patch, but I have not found a solution to this.

Wants:
    Supports ALL MODES required to make use of ALL Kali commands.
    Has a strong reception and signal.
    Works with Raspberry PI 3.

The Point:
    Anyway I am looking to find out what hardware is recommended to fulfill both of these needs (if possible). I would like to know if I should take on each task separately and go for a cheap dongle for Kali and get the stronger adapter for the hotspot. I am at my wit's end and any ideas/suggestions/info would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to set me straight on anything I may have wrong.

THANKS

*BUMP*

same question cept , i want small form factor , i already ordered 3 that are off a recomnded list of usb wifi cards for kali not sure if they work for rpi 3 , but i would like a tiny micro usb wifi adapter that is monitor mode and packet injection capable any recomendations on ones that have the firmware already loaded in kali 2.0 that will plug??

i bought these : ALFA AWUS036NEH , Panda 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter , TP link TL-WN722N, off the recommendations of google search for kali comp usb but some appear to only be for old kernels and other small issues , i will test all three and report back to this post , expect to have them in the 28th or later there was no word if these are compatible with RPI only the TP LINK had raspberry pi compatible on the order page , yet not that if it was monitor mode or packet injection capeable.

i used to use a netgear wg111t v2 , works fine with laptop range not the greatest , but never got it to work with RPI , i believe had something to do with the adafruit 7" backpack screen im running , uses alot of power requires a mod to output 1 amp to usb port off rpi , so whenever id plug in the wg111t power issues never let me run both screen and rpi , but now ive figured out ssh and vnc control to desktop 0 so will report back with headless and or monitor on , didnt build a custom cable to power off battery bank and run signal to rpi , may end up doing so