Thread: Acer Chromebook 14 Keyboard and Mousepad not working at & after the login prompt.

Question Acer Chromebook 14 Keyboard and Mousepad not working at & after the login prompt.

Hello, I would reeeeaally appreciate help with my problem.

So I am trying to boot Kali Live from a USB on my Acer Chromebook 14.

The specs are:
    CPU: 1.6 GHz Intel Celeron N3160 processor (quad-core, 2MB cache, up to 2.24GHz)
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 400
    RAM: 4GB LPDDR3
    Screen: 14-inch 1,920 x 1,080 display
    Storage: 32GB solid state drive
    Ports: 2 x USB 3.0, HDMI, headphone jack
    Connectivity: Intel 802.11ac, Bluetooth
    Camera: Built-in webcam
    Weight: 3.42 pounds (1696g)
    Size: 13.4 x 9.3 x 0.67 inches (340mm x 236 x 17mm) (W x D x H)

I have successfully put the ISO on the USB, and I can boot from it without problem on a MacBook Pro with these spec(I'm not sure if it's useful, but whatever, just trying to give as much info as possible.) :
    https://support.apple.com/kb/sp619?locale=en_US

When I plug it into my Chromebook and get to the boot menu and choose "Live (amd64)", from what I can tell, it all works fine. But once I get to the login prompt it all get's bad. My keyboard works kind of, but when I type I have to click to make it actually input it into the username and password boxes. With some effort I can get past that, but then when I login, neither the keyboard or the mousepad on my Chromebook work.

I can use external mouse and keyboard but only one at a time since I have only two USB ports and I'm using Kali Live in one port already.

Please help me, and a very huge thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by kaleblub View Post
    Hello, I would reeeeaally appreciate help with my problem.

So I am trying to boot Kali Live from a USB on my Acer Chromebook 14.

The specs are:
    CPU: 1.6 GHz Intel Celeron N3160 processor (quad-core, 2MB cache, up to 2.24GHz)
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 400
    RAM: 4GB LPDDR3
    Screen: 14-inch 1,920 x 1,080 display
    Storage: 32GB solid state drive
    Ports: 2 x USB 3.0, HDMI, headphone jack
    Connectivity: Intel 802.11ac, Bluetooth
    Camera: Built-in webcam
    Weight: 3.42 pounds (1696g)
    Size: 13.4 x 9.3 x 0.67 inches (340mm x 236 x 17mm) (W x D x H)

I have successfully put the ISO on the USB, and I can boot from it without problem on a MacBook Pro with these spec(I'm not sure if it's useful, but whatever, just trying to give as much info as possible.) :
    https://support.apple.com/kb/sp619?locale=en_US

When I plug it into my Chromebook and get to the boot menu and choose "Live (amd64)", from what I can tell, it all works fine. But once I get to the login prompt it all get's bad. My keyboard works kind of, but when I type I have to click to make it actually input it into the username and password boxes. With some effort I can get past that, but then when I login, neither the keyboard or the mousepad on my Chromebook work.

I can use external mouse and keyboard but only one at a time since I have only two USB ports and I'm using Kali Live in one port already.

Please help me, and a very huge thank you in advance.
    Ive had this problem with other distros. Same with windows 10 it had something to do with the drivers for os and your notebook (acer). With windows I went right to the acer web sight and had to download the missing drivers for my certain laptop (also a acer) good luck with kali though you might try to check ubuntu drivers or maybe debian drivers should be on the homepages. I m certain that kali runs off of debian. Backtrack used to run on ubuntu im think. Good luck.

Are you using 2017.1? If not, try. If yes, try the weekly isos: http://cdimage.kali.org/kali-images/kali-weekly/

Unhappy

I just put kali-linux-xfce-2017-W23-amd64.iso on the USB drive and tried booting into it, I couldn't pass the boot menu, I'd press "enter" on "Live (amd64)" and it would start to load then go right back to the boot menu. I gave it multiple tries through multiple boots, still no luck. So I think I'm gonna put the first iso on the USB again and try what bigbiz said, download the missing drivers.
    Last edited by kaleblub; 2017-06-10 at 00:40. Reason: better wording