Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UEFI: How to repair kali-linux grub dual boot with Windows 10

I did some more exploring. I didn't notice previously that both Add Boot Option and Path for Boot Option are required. With Add Boot Option you can enter anything however with Path for Boot Option you must navigate to a .efi file. I tried EFI\kali\grubx64.efi for Add Boot Option but can find no grubx64.efi file in navigating through all the choices with Path for Boot Option. The files I could find were bootx64.efi, bootmgfw.efi, memtest.efi and bootmgr.efi. The only Path option I have tried thus far is bootx64.efi and when I do that and hit Create the boot order is populated with EFI\kali\grux64.efi (PO: WDC WD5000LPVX-80V0TT0)....and it boots to Windows.

Boot into kali live and mount your EFI partition and see if grub exists in the directory /mnt/EFI/kali/grubx64.efi

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    nautilus /mnt/EFI

I booted to Kali live, mount command was ok but nautilus /mnt/EFI resulted in "unable to get contents of the bookmarks file: error opening file /root/.gti.bookmarks: no such file or directory exists" a window popped up showing the three folders visible in CMOS>add new boot option: ASUS BOOT MICROSOFT no Kali folder and no Kali folder beneath any of those three folders (and no grubx64.efi file). I tried running the grub install again but again saw the "mount point doesn't exist" error upon mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev despite upon running mount /dev/sda1 /mnt again the output is "mount point already exists".

When it reports mount point does not exist, create a mount point using mkdir /mnt/dev before executing that command. Try it again. You have to install grub. Show the screenshot of terminal when you run those commands.

did mkdir had to do mkdir for both mnt/boot and mnt/boot/efi. chroot would not work - as you'll see I screwed up and did a chroot /root first then chroot /mnt saw "failed to run command 'bin/bash' : no such file or directory. All previous commands had run without errors. I tried the next command out of curiosity. First tried mkdir /run/lvm saw "file exists" then ran mount --bind /hostrun/lvm /run/lvm saw "special device /hostrun/lvm does not exist". Tried mkdir /hostrun/lvm "no such file or directory" next tried mkdir /mnt/hostrun/lvm "file exists" and again ran mount --bind /hostrun/lvm /run/lvm but of course still saw "special device /hostrun/lvm does not exist. So....what did I screw up about the chroot command? and do I perform mkdir /hostrun then mkdir /hostrun/lvm and THEN the mount --bind /hostrun/lvm /run/lvm again?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ran again no errors (besides file already exists) until chroot - which I did correctly (chroot /mnt) this time. Tried sudo chroot /mnt no joy (same error). I tried again to go further and again no joy specifically "special device /hostrun/lvm does not exist". Why won't chroot work? Also tried grub-install /dev/sda - should sda have a number after it or is /dev/sda correct? grub-install resulted in "command not found" something possibly of interest is the fdisk -l output yesterday had sdb.... whereas today it is sda....

When it says mount point does not exist you can create one using mkdir as i told you before. If it now says file exist it just means that the mount point already exists and you don't have to create one with mkdir. I think you have already learned this.

The error with chroot /mnt, i made an update to my original post. Run it again.

Make sure you are not booting 32-bit kali image on your 64-bit PC.
    Last edited by _defalt; 2018-03-14 at 14:28.

_defalt! Yes you are correct in that I understand that if the file/folder already exists it means "good! I don't have to create it!". I ran chroot /mnt/bin/bash as noted in your updated instructions - I took a new pic of them before booting up to Kali Live. I see a different error now "chroot: cannot change root directory to '/mnt/bin/bash': Not a directory" I tried "sudo chroot /mnt/bin/bash got the same error. I can confirm that yes I am booting 64-bit Kali image 2018.1 on my 64 bit machine. I got tired of the delay booting to CD-ROM so I created a 64 bit Kali USB stick per the instructions on the Kali site. I can now boot to Kali Live in under a minute. I did go on to the rest of the commands but got the same results as before.

_defalt? I saw you again changed the chroot instruction to chroot /mnt /usr/bin/bash so I tried again. This time the mount -o remount,rw command wouldn't work - the result was "mount: /mnt/boot/efi: mount or bad..." sorry I must be very tired as I didn't get the entire error in my screen cap and I can't remember if offhand AND I'm too tired to try this again, this evening. I double-triple-quadruple checked my syntax and it looked correct.

In the snip I was looking at I wasn't sure if there was a space between /mnt and /usr/bin/bash on the chroot command so I tried both. It looked more like there was a space so I tried it that way. There was an error either way "chroot: failed to run command 'usr/bin/bash': no such directory" with the space and "chroot: cannot change root directory to 'mnt/usr/bin/bash' no such directory" without the space.

@Hammondo I've retested the solution of my original post (edited them again) and they are working as intended.

It looks like the chroot, grub-install & update-grub binaries are missing in your kali filesytem /usr/sbin. Can you show the output of:

mount /dev/sda* /mnt
    ls /mnt/usr/sbin | grep grub
    ls /mnt/usr/sbin | grep chroot

Replace * with your kali filesystem name.

If it returns no file then you have to reinstall kali.
    Last edited by _defalt; 2018-03-16 at 16:54.

i had installed kali with win 10 in dual boot. but i accidently deleted the kali partition and swap area. using UEFI mode I can successfully boot into win 10. but when I try to boot into BIOS mode to do fresh install of kali, it shows error like "no such partition, grub rescue". How to get rid of this?

Quote Originally Posted by cactus69 View Post
    i had installed kali with win 10 in dual boot. but i accidently deleted the kali partition and swap area. using UEFI mode I can successfully boot into win 10. but when I try to boot into BIOS mode to do fresh install of kali, it shows error like "no such partition, grub rescue". How to get rid of this?
    Why are you booting into BIOS mode when kali can be installed in UEFI mode?

Whenever I install kali linux, I never for once enjoy it.. Always Grub rescue issue.. What's the problem? Is it my system? Or what?... I use hp, Windows 10..720gb hard drive.. 80gb partitioned for Linux only... But I install kali now, I shut down later, after like 5 hours when I on system, I see Grub rescue again and this kali is really needed.. I don't know what to do again m. Please help me.. Please

Quote Originally Posted by vosquare View Post
    Whenever I install kali linux, I never for once enjoy it.. Always Grub rescue issue.. What's the problem? Is it my system? Or what?... I use hp, Windows 10..720gb hard drive.. 80gb partitioned for Linux only... But I install kali now, I shut down later, after like 5 hours when I on system, I see Grub rescue again and this kali is really needed.. I don't know what to do again m. Please help me.. Please
    When it jumps to grub rescue mode, post the output of ls here.

Well I have a new question based on this issue.
    First here is the output of fdisk -l

root@Kali-Chaos:~# fdisk -l
    Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 238.5 GiB, 256060514304 bytes, 500118192 sectors
    Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disklabel type: gpt
    Disk identifier: 6748ECF3-6336-4440-BCFD-1125C2E87896

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
    /dev/nvme0n1p1 2048 1026047 1024000 500M EFI System
    /dev/nvme0n1p2 1026048 1288191 262144 128M Microsoft reserved
    /dev/nvme0n1p3 1288192 477663577 476375386 227.2G Microsoft basic data
    /dev/nvme0n1p4 477665280 479655935 1990656 972M Windows recovery environment
    /dev/nvme0n1p5 479655936 500082687 20426752 9.8G Windows recovery environment

Disk /dev/nvme1n1: 238.5 GiB, 256060514304 bytes, 500118192 sectors
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x8a8e6123

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
    /dev/nvme1n1p1 2048 292968447 292966400 139.7G 83 Linux
    /dev/nvme1n1p2 292970494 500117503 207147010 98.8G 5 Extended
    /dev/nvme1n1p5 292970496 312500223 19529728 9.3G 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/nvme1n1p6 312502272 500117503 187615232 89.5G 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sda: 477 GiB, 512110190592 bytes, 1000215216 sectors
    Disklabel type: dos
    Disk identifier: 0x48742778

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
    /dev/sda1 2048 1000212479 1000210432 477G 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

So as you can see, I have 2 NVME drives, and one SSD drive. NVME0N1 is the one that came with the system and is the one that the Windows 10 install is on (also the EFI partition I used for the grub fix in this thread). NVME1N1 is the second NVME drive and has a KALI install and a Ubuntu install on it. The SDA drive is simply data drive for the three OS systems to use. When installing 2018.2 Kali ran into the grub issue. Researched the forums and found this fix, used it, and for /dev/sda used /dev/nvme0n1. The grub-install line went without any issues, the update-grub however popped multiple warnings and only found the Ubuntu install. Sure enough after the umount and reboot, only Kali and Ubuntu were options to boot into. So I guess my question is how to correct the pointers so as to have all three OS availible.

And I feel like an idiot, I might have found the fix.

Thanks _Defalt for all the time and effort you've put into this post, it allowed me to bypass the Grub Console. so greatly appreciated.

I am getting the same errors as joed1960 had - https://forums.kali.org/attachment.p...3&d=1500068213 screenshot.

I ended up butchering the machine by updating a bunch of applications [800 ish] in human error, everything worked until I rebooted then the above screenshots, grub interface appears.

I was able to bypass the interface using what you provided, using..
    set root=(hd0,2)
    set prefix=(hd0,2)/boot/grub
    insmod normal
    normal

Once I got in
    sudo update-grub
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda1

fdisk -l
    sda1 = efi
    sda2 = Linux Filesystems
    sda3 = Linux Swap
    I made a error first by installing into sda2, then releasing my error, I've installed it on the efi.

No errors on install, everything looks perfect, apart from when I reboot the Grub console returns, which I then have to repeat above steps and I'm able to login

Sorry if I should of raised a new post, unsure but this post seems relative to the "error" I'm receiving

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated

Figured it out

For some reason the grub.cfg didn't exist in /boot/efi/EFI/debian

After running grub-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/debian/grub.cfg

Grub was bypassed on boot

kali linux installinatin

i do its very carefully but at the time of "grub-install /dev/sda" the result showing no such file directory what i do

When I tried this, Kali appeared in the boot menu. I clicked on it and received some console messages:-

Kali GNU/Linux Rolling Kali TTY
    Login:
    Password:

I logged in and got:

root@Kali ~#

Any ideas?

Few minor additions to the Solution

Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    If you have dual booted kali with Windows 10 then most probably you are running PC with UEFI firmware. The booting process of UEFI is completely different from BIOS. Right after installation or after updating your UEFI you find that kali is not present in boot menu options. You can see the entry of Windows boot manager but there is no entry of kali in boot menu.

The reason can be failed grub installation or Windows major updates.
    If you update UEFI it deletes the entry of kali from NVRAM.

If you update UEFI from 1.x to 2.x then entry of Grub is removed from the boot-menu. Follow next post if you did this
    If you update UEFI from 1.x to 1.y then it remains there.

Boot into kali live USB and follow the instructions:

mount /dev/sda* /mnt
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    mkdir /mnt/sys/firmware/efi/efivars
    mount --bind /sys/firmware/efi/efivars /mnt/sys/firmware/efi/efivars
    mkdir /mnt/boot/efi
    mount /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi
    mkdir /mnt/hostrun
    mount --bind /run /mnt/hostrun
    chroot /mnt
    mkdir /run/lvm
    mount --bind /hostrun/lvm /run/lvm
    grub-install /dev/sda
    update-grub
    exit
    umount /mnt/dev
    umount /mnt/proc
    umount /mnt/sys/firmware/efi/efivars
    umount /mnt/sys
    umount /mnt/boot/efi
    umount /mnt/hostrun
    umount /mnt/run/lvm
    umount /mnt
    REBOOT

/dev/sda* is your linux filesystem. Like mine is /dev/sda6
    /dev/sda+ is your EFI partition which is most likely /dev/sda1.
    Use fdisk -l to list all partitions.
    @defalt your solution worked like a charm
    I wasn't even able to boot into Kali before. But after I followed your instructions I was able to add Kali Linux into the UEFI Boot menu.

The problem I faced was in the UEFI Boot menu, where my default OS manager was Windows 10 and it used to boot without even showing Grub.

Therefore I found a solution for this, and it's really simple.

In my case I was dual booting windows 10 and Kali Linux.

So in my UEFi OS boot manger the boot order was:
    1. Windows 10 boot manger
    2. KALI Linux boot manager

Where Kali Linux contained the Grub.
    If I had to boot Kali, I had to hold F9( Boot device selection in my HP laptop) and then I would get a Grub boot screen with 3 options:
    1. Kali Linux
    2. Advanced Options for Kali
    3. Windows 10 Boot

So I had to make changes to my original Boot order in UEFI:

1. I was able to boot into Kali Linux by holding F9( This command may change in your laptop based on your vendor) to open Boot Devices menu.

Then I selected Kali Linux Boot Manager.
    Now you will boot into your Installed Kali Linux(not Live USB).

2. Install efibootmgr using the following commands:

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install efibootmgr

3. Find out your Boot Order:

sudo efibootmgr

The output looks something like this:

BootCurrent: 0004
    Timeout: 0 seconds
    BootOrder: 0001,0004,0002,0005,0006,2001
    Boot0001 Windows Boot Manager
    Boot0002 Network
    Boot0004 Kali
    Boot0005 Hard Drive
    Boot0006 CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
    Boot2001 EFI USB Device

In the above output Windows 10 (0001) is set to boot before Kali(0004).

Note: The serial numbers of the boot devices may change in your system.

3. Now change the boot order to get your Kali Linux (with the Grub installed) to boot using the command:

sudo efibootmgr -o 0004,0001,2001,0006

In the above command we are setting Kali( with Grub installed) to boot before windows 10 in the UEFI OS manager.

4. Now check if your boot order has changed by typing the following command:

sudo efibootmgr

The output looks something like this:

BootCurrent: 0004
    Timeout: 0 seconds
    BootOrder: 0004,0001,0002,0005,0006,2001
    Boot0001 Windows Boot Manager
    Boot0002 Network
    Boot0004 Kali
    Boot0005 Hard Drive
    Boot0006 CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
    Boot2001 EFI USB Device

If you get a similar output with Kali(0004) coming before Windows 10(0001) this means that your boot order has changed.

Note : You should install Grub on Kali to dual boot Kali and Windows 10.

Hey _defalt. I went through the same problem. The first two commands run fine. When i type insmod normal then an error comes. You can see the error in the image.

This happens when secure boot is enabled. When secure boot is off, then instead of "grub rescue" , the "grub" command menu opens. I type all the 4 commands there and after even typing the last normal command , it stays there . nothing boots. Please help

Hey _defalt. Your commands work but only to start Kali.
    When I use the last two commands in the terminal (update-grub and grub-install) it does not mark any error but when I restart my PC, the grub rescue screen continues to appear. I tried to change the installation path to /deb/sda1 which is where I have the Efi partition but no progress.

Quote Originally Posted by TK66 View Post
    Hey _defalt. Your commands work but only to start Kali.
    When I use the last two commands in the terminal (update-grub and grub-install) it does not mark any error but when I restart my PC, the grub rescue screen continues to appear. I tried to change the installation path to /deb/sda1 which is where I have the Efi partition but no progress.
    Run:
    grub-install /dev/sda
    update-grub
    update-initramfs -u

/dev/sda is the name of storage device. /dev/sda1 is the name of the partition. So don't use partition name. We only need storage device name to install grub.

Quote Originally Posted by monsterkc View Post
    Hey _defalt. I went through the same problem. The first two commands run fine. When i type insmod normal then an error comes. You can see the error in the image.

This happens when secure boot is enabled. When secure boot is off, then instead of "grub rescue" , the "grub" command menu opens. I type all the 4 commands there and after even typing the last normal command , it stays there . nothing boots. Please help
    Don't enable secure boot. Kali does not support secure boot. You might have been entering the wrong filesystem. Attachment resolution is very low. Can't see the error.

Can you please see this thread for me ???

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...4-in-UEFI-mode

Great and clear post, thanks. It worked!
    It might sound obvious to most of you but i think only thing missing is clarifying on this line
    grub-install /dev/sda
    Needs to refer to information gathered with fdisk... Specially when freaking out copy/paste is a temptation hehe

Can somebody help me please, ive been stucking for a long time.. all search got same answer, run the mount commands. but when i reached the grub-install step, in never work, keep telling error about "boot0000" and not enought space (didnt tell which partition but my efi partition for kali is 1gb aready, is it not enough?

grub-install: warning: Cannot set EFI variable Boot0000.
    grub-install: warning: efivarfs_set_variable: writing to fd 6 failed: No space left on device.
    grub-install: warning: _efi_set_variable_mode: ops->set_variable() failed: No space left on device.
    grub-install: error: failed to register the EFI boot entry: No space left on device.

this is the errors when i run the line "grub-install".. anybody can help please?

Installation of grub stuck

I followed all the steps properly.
    They didn't show any error.
    But after the command ' grub-install dev/sdb '
    NOTE: sdb as i have kali Linux on my hard drive (win 10 on ssd)
    After the above mentioned command it shows " INSTALLING for x86_64-efi platform " and even after a long time shows no result.

PLEASE HELP
    My Grub is not coming on. I'm trying to dual boot with Kali linux and Windows 7. When I try to boot, its directing me to Grub rescue - I've tried different things online for Grub rescue, its not responding.
    I used a Kali live cd, and my UEFI boot is on from BIOS settings
    While running this command -- sudo mkdir /mnt/sys/firmware/efi/efivars
    I'm getting -- mkdir: cannot create directory ?/mnt/sys/firmware/efi/efivars?: No such file or directory
    PLEASE I NEED HELP

THANKS

Can somebody help me please. This is my 4th day trying to fix my bootloader missing after i deleted my windows 10 partitions (reinstalled it).

My Kali installation is on a 1TiB hdd, it looks like this:
    Drive: sdb
    Disk: /dev/sdb : 931.5GiB
    Disklabel type: gpt

PARTITION SYSTEM
    /dev/sdb1 EFI System Partition vfat
    /dev/sdb2 Data partition (Linux) ext2
    /dev/sdb3 Data partition (Linux) crypto_LUKS

This is the commands i have done using my Kali persistent LIVE usb for:

sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
    sudo --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    sudo mkdir /mnt/dev
    sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    sudo mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
    sudo mkdir /mnt/proc
    sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    sudo mkdir /mnt/sys
    sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    sudo chroot /mnt

i know the now i did wrong that the first command should be "sudo mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt", but that disk is crypted and i dont know how to do it then.
    My last command "sudo chroot /mnt" did not work so i fall to sleep, and when i woke up i could not log in to the session anymore. I dont have my password for the LIVE Kali. I turned off the computer and try start again. Then nothing worked anymore.
    What to do now:???

I have the same problem. I reinstalled windows 10 & accidently deleted all partitions before i installed windows 10 Enterprise.
    After a lots of reading trying to fix it, i came to this thread.

This first command i had to change because my /dev/sdb3 is crypto_LUKS filesystem.
    Instead of command 1, i had to do command 2-6. After all commands i rebooted and now i am in grub rescue mode.
    What to do now?

1. sudo mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt

2. sudo cryptsetup open /dev/sdb3 backup
    3. sudo lsblk -f /dev/sdb
    4. sudo vgdisplay --short
    5. sudo lvs -o lv_name,lv_size -S vg_name=server-vg
    6. sudo mount /dev/server-vg/root /mnt

7. sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    8. sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    9. sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    10. sudo mkdir /mnt/sys/firmware/efi/efivars
    11. sudo mount --bind /sys/firmware/efi/efivars /mnt/sys/firmware/efi/efivars
    12. sudo mkdir /mnt/boot/efi
    13. sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/boot/efi
    14. sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/sdb1 /mnt/boot/efi
    15. sudo mkdir /mnt/hostrun
    16. sudo mount --bind /run /mnt/hostrun
    17. sudo chroot /mnt
    18. mkdir /run/lvm
    19. mount --bind /hostrun/lvm /run/lvm
    20. grub-install /dev/sdb
    21. update-grub
    22. exit
    23. sudo umount /mnt/dev
    24. sudo umount /mnt/proc
    25. sudo umount /mnt/sys/firmware/efi/efivars
    26. sudo umount /mnt/sys
    27. sudo umount /mnt/boot/efi
    28. sudo umount /mnt/hostrun
    29. sudo umount /mnt/run/lvm
    30. sudo umount /mnt
    31. sudo shutdown -r

error: disk 'lvmid/C5jYs5-VQXZ-2Aak-Cm6v-QEvf-F9UM-BBDwOD/RK6yu3-loSB-MyBU-H7w3-ALqX-2tRO-570YLW' not found.
    grub rescue> ls
    (hd0) (hd1) (hd2)
    grub rescue>

Hi,
    thanks guyz for help, this also faces by mee mcdvoice

Regards mybkexperience
    Last edited by shamsmehra90; 2020-07-04 at 08:36.

About Windows 10, which is currently working on my computer, was also installed by myself. My brother helped me to make a Windows 10 installation disk and then told me to use it to successfully install Windows 10. He was telling the truth and I did ii.In addition,Microsoft can also help install Windows 10.
    Last edited by Sahi738; 2020-07-08 at 02:21.

How did you opened this kali terminal...
    Could you please help with this???

If you have dual booted kali with Windows 10 then most probably you are running PC with UEFI firmware. The booting process of UEFI is completely different from that of BIOS. Right after installation or after updating your UEFI, do you find that kali is missing from boot menu options? You can see the entry of Windows boot manager but there is no entry of kali in boot menu.

The reason can be failed grub installation or Windows major updates.
    If you update UEFI it deletes the entry of kali from NVRAM.

If you update UEFI from 1.x to 2.x then entry of Grub is removed from the boot-menu. Follow next post if you did this
    If you update UEFI from 1.x to 1.y then it remains there.

Boot into kali live USB and follow the instructions:

mount /dev/sda* /mnt
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    mkdir /mnt/sys/firmware/efi/efivars
    mount --bind /sys/firmware/efi/efivars /mnt/sys/firmware/efi/efivars
    mkdir /mnt/boot/efi
    mount /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi
    mkdir /mnt/hostrun
    mount --bind /run /mnt/hostrun
    chroot /mnt
    mkdir /run/lvm
    mount --bind /hostrun/lvm /run/lvm
    grub-install /dev/sda
    update-grub
    exit
    umount /mnt/dev
    umount /mnt/proc
    umount /mnt/sys/firmware/efi/efivars
    umount /mnt/sys
    umount /mnt/boot/efi
    umount /mnt/hostrun
    umount /mnt/run/lvm
    umount /mnt
    REBOOT

/dev/sda* is your linux filesystem. Like mine is /dev/sda6
    /dev/sda+ is your EFI partition which is most likely /dev/sda1.
    Use fdisk -l to list all partitions.
    /dev/sda in grub-install /dev/sda is the name of your storage device, not the name of partition. Use fdisk -l to see the name of your stoage device.

If you are in grub rescue mode, then run these commands to reconfigure grub:

ls
    set root=(hd0,gptx)
    set prefix=(hd0,gptx)/boot/grub
    insmod normal
    normal

ls(LS) lists all the partitions of your hard drive like this (hd0) (hd0,gpt1) (hd0,gpt2). You can make some guesses which one is your kali filesystem to replace the variable gptx.

Once you boot into kali open terminal and type:

grub-install /dev/sda
    update-initramfs -u
    update-grub

By /dev/sda do you mean the exact /dev/sda that was done in Kali Linux live boot?

Quote Originally Posted by SazzadChowdhury View Post
    Boot into kali live. Run fdisk -l to list all partitions. See which one is your EFI partition which is likely /dev/sda1, name can be different in your case if you are using SSD. Then run
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
    ls /mnt/EFI

See if grubx64.efi is installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoys View Post
    The last comment in this bug report may help you out in your case. Try copying the grubx64.efi in /EFI/BOOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak331 View Post
    It's because you are installing grub to the wrong storage unit. Your Windows is installed in SSD so this is where your EFI partition is. Use fdisk -l to check the name of SSD and use that name.

Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
    Re-run the commands, I added mkdir.

Quote Originally Posted by devpiggy72 View Post
    I've no solution how to achieve grub-install for encrypted filesystem. You should try reinstalling it or ask in unix.stackexchange.com.

Quote Originally Posted by aannaassalam View Post
    Boot into kali live.

Quote Originally Posted by BlazinGirl View Post
    By /dev/sda do you mean the exact /dev/sda that was done in Kali Linux live boot?
    /dev/sda is the example name of the storage unit where EFI partition is present. This name can be different for your HDD or SSD. Use fdisk -l to know the name.

Might not be the right architecture

You are in grub rescue mode. I think grub no longer remembers that partition in which kali filesystem is. For that run these commands:
    ls
    set root=(hd0,gptx)
    set prefix=(hd0,gptx)/boot/grub
    insmod normal
    normal

ls(LS) lists all the partitions of your hard drive like this (hd0) (hd0,gpt1) (hd0,gpt2). I think you can make some guesses which one is your kali filesystem to replace the variable gptx. Most likely it is (hd0,gpt2).

Once you boot into kali open terminal and type:
    update-grub
    grub-install /dev/sda

ok so when I tried making a live Kali for my dad's old computer he said it was a 32 bit computer and when I tried booting it to the flash drive it brought me to the Grub rescue, I tried my original live for my laptop which is 64 bit and it worked fine, check which image you are using and correct it to your machine

Bootable USB Creators

Quote Originally Posted by joed1960 View Post
    Through a bunch of research I found it makes a difference how you setup your USB disk to install Kali. I had previously been using unetbootin to create the image for the install. I found Rosa Image Writer, and I was able to install Kali without any issues. Grub installed automatically during setup.
    I personally use a windows PC and use a program called Rufus. You can download it here: https://rufus.ie/en-us/

It is very easy to use and also has a log screen so you can monitor the progress and/or errors.

Post having same problem

Quote Originally Posted by tushr View Post
    @_defalt Sorry for the late reply but I was trying other methods. Actually, my laptop is fairly new so I thought maybe if I try a newer release of kali would it work?... and it did. I downloaded kali-linux-2017.3-amd64 and booted from that. The setup did not stop at grub and it installed successfully past all the grub-install dummy step.

But now another problem rose. My wifi adapter is not being read. In the settings in the wifi tab it says wifi not supported. A key note:
    *During installation an error came about some missing firmware files. It said: Some of your hardware needs non-free firmware files to operate. The firmware can be loaded from removable media, such as a USB stick or floppy.
    The missing firmware files are: rtl_nic/rtl8168h-2.fw
    If you have such media available now, insert it, and continue.
    Load missing firmware from removable media? (yes/no)

Also at the network configuration step, the setup is supposed to first scan for lan0 and then wlan0. But during my setup, it scanned lan0 and skipped wlan0. Since I dont have means for LAN connection I had no choice but to choose for configure network later.

After the installation, I connected my phone through tethering and did a apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade. It fetched around 1.1GB of data but still no luck. I searched online and heard about backports. But during installation, there was a step which used "make unload" command which gave an error about the linux headers are not installed or missing.
    To overcome this, i did a apt-cache search linux-headers and installed the ones corresponding to my version(using uname -r). They got installed but still no luck with the make command.

Sorry for such a long error post but I just think maybe you could connect all these problems. Also I dont think the kali image is corrupted as I installed kali in another laptop using the same image and it worked like a charm.

I am having the same problem using killer wifi 6 AX1650i adapter