Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UEFI: How to repair kali-linux grub dual boot with Windows 10

Once I get done typing "normal" I'm still at a grub prompt.

I still don't know which grub prompt you are mentioning. Either it is grub rescue mode command-line screen or actual grub menu to boot OS. Show the screenshot of grub prompt. If nothing is working for you the very first post is the right solution.
    Last edited by _defalt; 2017-07-14 at 04:59 PM.

I'm attaching two screenshots: one from the grub prompt, the other when trying to run the commands on page one from the Kali Live prompt. I got an error when running chroot. I boot my laptop, hit F9, hit EFI, and drill down to the file that brings me to the prompt. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

20170714_154201.jpg

20170714_161244.jpg

If rescue commands are not working then the only solution is to use the first post. But doing that is also giving you lot of errors. Show the output of fdisk -l from kali live.

That's an unexpected behavior. After entering normal it should have taken you to grub boot screen.
    Last edited by _defalt; 2017-07-15 at 04:27 AM.

Here it is. 20170715_171604.jpg

Your image links are not working. Anyway If you are unfamiliar with commands then do one thing.

Boot into kali-live. Mount your EFI partiton. Go to /mnt/EFI/kali and replace the grubx64.efi with the one present in this zip file. Do not touch any other thing.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...93033474139891

I appreciate the time you've taken to try and help me with this. I replaced the file with the one in your post. This time I got a grub rescue prompt. Typing the settings in here brought me back to the grub prompt I've mentioned in my earlier posts. I have Kali installed on a VM on my Windows computer, so I'm ok. I'll put a different Linux OS on this laptop. Thanks again.

You did it all wrong from the start. Here you are telling that you found gpt2 as correct
    Quote Originally Posted by joed1960 View Post
    I ran the first set of commands. I found gpt2 was correct. After rebooting I'm still left at a grub prompt. I only have Kali installed, if that makes a difference.
    Now i can see your output of fdisk -l. The link is working again. hd0,gpt3 is the right one. gpt2 is your swap partition. How would you expect it to boot? The right commands are:
    set root=(hd0,gpt3)
    set prefix=(hd0,gpt3)/boot/grub
    insmod normal
    normal

It wasn't tough to guess that it might be gpt3.

This happened to me as well, and found your post. However, this line is confusing me:

grub-install /dev/sda

Is that correct? That's the first mention to "/dev/sda" in the instructions. Thought I'd check first, before causing any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Taconvino View Post
    This happened to me as well, and found your post. However, this line is confusing me:

grub-install /dev/sda

Is that correct? That's the first mention to "/dev/sda" in the instructions. Thought I'd check first, before causing any problems.
    /dev/sda is the name of your hard disk. It can be different for different storage units. Always use fdisk -l to see the name of your device.