Thread: "oh no something has gone wrong" error on Kali Linux 2017.1 (Nvidia Drivers)

"oh no something has gone wrong" error on Kali Linux 2017.1 (Nvidia Drivers)

I recently updated Kali to 2017.1 and fetched the latest kernel headers from the repo however after the upgrade I noticed that everything was fine except for Nvidia drivers not working(e.g. gpu not detected in hashcat). So I went ahead and did some research on the matter and it turns out that Nvidia drivers don't work with newer Linux kernels(due to Realtime Preemption patches). So I decided to recompile the Linux kernel that I was on (version 4.9.25) from source and with success I managed to get the latest Nvidia driver working (by installing latest .run file from their website) however I'm faced with one issue, I get the "oh no something has gone wrong" error with every boot even though the Nvidia driver is functioning properly. I entered tty4 then typed in nvidia-smi and my GPU which is a GTX 960M shows up perfectly. But back to the main question, how do I get my login screen back?
    Last edited by Josephson47; 2017-06-09 at 17:45.

So, wait...I'm still kinda new to all this - but the 2017.1 version won't work with the Nvidia drivers or vice versa? Because I'm having the same issue - everytime I install the drivers for the gpu, I get the sad computer boot error. Have you had any success getting it to work right? I've just started my research into this and haven't come up with any success yet.

I resorted to installing Ubuntu instead