Thread: Graphical Remote Administration Woes

Graphical Remote Administration Woes

I have a remote Kali box that I need to be able to graphically administer. xrdp, vncserver, and Team Viewer are falling short of my expectations. All three seem to require an initial login, or do not work with Kali's default gnome desktop manager.

I need to be able to graphically connect a default kali 2017.1 setup without any attached KVM or prior login. Also, I need to be able to use Gnome (not switch to KDE or a different login manager/ desktop). I prefer to not have to SSH in and then startx, and yes I know I'm a little lazy. Is there any workable solution? TeamViewer requires a prior login and also an attached monitor to set the screen resolution. XRDP requires a prior login, or a non-gnome desktop manager. VNC servers seem to have the same issue from my testing.

What I really need is that ability to have a default Kali 2017.1 machine running that I can remotely connect to as easily as a Windows 2012 server. Out of all the solutions, I liked xrdp the best, as I could go full-screen and wasn't dependent on the attached video display, however when using non-gnome desktops, some application installs with apt-get choked (qbittorrent was one, I think).

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I had a box with xrdp, gnome wouldn't work. And the problem is due to gnome, you can look it up in google, the problem is across distro using gnome.

Basically, what I did is switch to LXDE (which is a very graphical interface by the way) and it worked just fine.

If you don't want anything else than gnome, it's a dead-end, unless you're ready to spent days/weeks to do development on it and packages compilation. Switch to another graphical interface.

Did this allow you to log in remotely with rdp without having already logging in via the console, or having a kvm attached? I suppose I could work around the other problems if I could get around this issue.

Thanks for the feedback, this helps a lot.

Of course. It was a VM in an ESXi server.