Thread: Dual boot. Can i make it from kali? And other questions.. I appreciate the help.

Dual boot. Can i make it from kali? And other questions.. I appreciate the help.

Hi.
    I am wondering about dual boot. I might try and create one...
    But, lets say i run win 7 and kali. Can i encrypt kali while installing it also? Either during install, or later on in kali?

Also. Is it possible even to encrypt both systems in a dual boot??? That would have been awesome..
    Veracrypt do not support this feature i think, but i could be wrong..

But if that is not possible to encrypt the full drive, both windows and kali, it is enough dor me to secure kali. Is that possible in a dual boot?
    Also.. This guide:
    http://docs.kali.org/installation/du...i-with-windows

It says 20 gb minimum. But will that create a kali linux install with only 20 gb space overall for files downloaded, etc?
    Or is it mostly the system, and the rest is free space and can be as big as my drive? Or have i understood that wrong, and 20 gb is the biggest space i get, and i need to choose my free space in there?
    I would go 40 perhaps.

Thanks for the support/help. It is very appreciated. (I might follow the guide and start with a windows installation if that is easier, also.)
    Kind regards

Kali installer asks you to select encrypted lvm if you want encrypted partition. So encrypted partition will be created during the installation. It won't encrypt any other partition. It just encrypts that partition in which kali will be installed. If you later choose to encrypt Windows partition then you won't be able to boot it because its access will be given to kali OS only. You can't expect one OS to boot if you encrypt one OS by another. Every OS provides encryption for their own environment not for others. I could be wrong with my some words but not completely.

Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    Kali installer asks you to select encrypted lvm if you want encrypted partition. So encrypted partition will be created during the installation. It won't encrypt any other partition. It just encrypts that partition in which kali will be installed. If you later choose to encrypt Windows partition then you won't be able to boot it because its access will be given to kali OS only. You can't expect one OS to boot if you encrypt one OS by another. Every OS provides encryption for their own environment not for others. I could be wrong with my some words but not completely.
    Thanks for the answer. Pardon the late reply...
    Well, then i can have windows unencrypted and kali encrypted in a dual boot. That would be good. I was thinking if some program like veracrypt could encrypt both, but that might be hard as you wrote.
    Thanks for the help. Kind regards.