Thread: Kali Linux 2017.1 Showing Wifi Networks/ Cant connect / NOT dual boot

Kali Linux 2017.1 Showing Wifi Networks/ Cant connect / NOT dual boot

Hey all I am a noob to Linux.

I have done a iso install of Kali Linux 2017.1. This is not dual booting. Its the only operating system on the pc.

I can connect via ethernet to the internet fine.

No issues there. However, i can not through wifi. It believe drivers seem good as it even shows me the wifi connections to connect to in network manager. I also tried to install Wicd and it finds the networks also. However, it gets hungup when verifying authentication. Im using WPA-1/2 passphrase. Which i read so far is what i should be using. Im not sure why it is getting hung up there and I know im using the correct password.

BTW when i first start my computer up it seems to connect to the wifi but with no internet access then drops it all together. When i try to reconnect it does not work.

Please any info that you would need or that can help please let me know.

First thing to verify is that your wireless router & internet connection itself are fine. I assume you're using DHCP to get an IP address? Could you be getting any RF interference which is causing signal drop?

Assuming all is well there, check the output of dmesg or logs in /var/log for errors; Kali (and Linux in general) has in-depth logging, so chances are something useful will be in one or both of those places.

Also, even if you're not doing wireless hacking, check your wifi card against the supported list in the forums here. These cards are the most compatible with Kali. A little money spent on a compatible card will save you a lot of time & frustration.