Thread: Installed Kali KDE and it had an extra user called CouchDB

Post Installed Kali KDE and it had an extra user called CouchDB

My Fiance decided she was ready to move from Linux server troubleshooting to light penetration testing as well as network monitoring to help her work towards another cert and a promotion at work, so I told her to try out backtrack, which is now Kali, I've been using Arch for a while so I haven't been paying a lot of attention to debian distros, especially specialized ones like Kali. Anyways after she had finished installing Kali's KDE variant, she came to me with a few questions. The first of which was "Who is CouchDB." I laughed just a little bit, mainly inside, and then asked what she meant by that. Apparently her clean install of Kali-KDE had a user profile built in called CouchDB, so I assumed it was a new feature, I attempted a few likely default passwords but couldn't log in to the account, so I logged us in as root. I started googling and checking forums trying to figure out where it came from, why it was there, etc. After a short session of maybe 20 minutes I had found nothing, not one single post claiming anything like what we were dealing with. I found this to be quite curious, I have just never seen or heard of CouchDB being automatically created as a user. We ended up formatting the drive and installing a the more common "gnome variant" of Kali. There was no CouchDB profile to be found, which made me even more suspicious.

I assume she didn't check the Sha256sum, but she said she did. Has anyone else come across this, or anything similar when installing a fresh ISO? Is it something stupid? If it is, I am sorry to waste time and space. Looking forward to any explanation.

TL;DR

Built in profile named "CouchDB" in Kali KDE?

CouchDB is part of the base Kali install. The couchdb user you see in /etc/passwd is the CouchDB admin.

I've not used CouchDB myself, but I ran dpkg, and the description says "RESTful document oriented database"

Thank you,

I just did not look hard enough. After now using the gnome variant of kali with her for the last few days, I have definitely noticed that when we installed, there was no CouchDB group automatically enabled, to our knowledge, not in shown in the users panel atleast.. I understand that it is in the base package and it can be set up, I just didn't know that it would automatically enable itself as a user.

I am still not sure if that was supposed to happen or if she did something during install without realizing it.

No problem

The Kali dev team does their best to make sure packages are installed & ready when you setup Kali, so I'm thinking that CouchDB was setup during install.