Hello all; after messing with this, and reading much in these forums, I am still having an issue. First, the environment: Windows 10 laptop, Fall Creator's pkg, ASUS with Intel internal wifi. I have this Alfa 036ach usb card. I'm running Kali Linux rolling 3.xx in VMWorkstation, version 14.xxx. I have gone round and round, updating everything. Rest assured, A. Host OS is updated, B. Guest Kali OS has been apt-get updated, upgraded, and dist-upgraded. I'm on Kernel 4.14.0-kali3-amd64, with the apt install realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms done. My issue is something that I've not seen mentioned elsewhere:
Card works fine in Win10 environment. When I try and get it to work in the Kali VM, it's problematic. Even with everything updated. One of the specific issues I'm having is that Kali works fine with the internal card. Soon as I try and click over to the ALFA card, I either have it show up twice and it says that there is a driver error, and it wont let me unconnect back to the host (it just gives me an error box), or if I do get some type of connectivity, I keep getting "Destination Host Unreachable" errors if I attempt to ping 8.8.8.8. I can ping internal network and gateway fine.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the drivers, and the problem persists. I am making sure that I turn off "WiFi" in Win10 environment, and make sure WiFi3 is turned on. Win10 box is working fine.

So, right now, my Win10 box is connected to Alfa card. I ensured I uninstalled the card from device manager, then plugged it back in. Re-installed drivers. All good; it's been working fine for 30 minutes. It's Wifi is off, but WiFi3 is on. I can see the MAC address of the device, so I know it's the one working. I fired up VM Workstation v 14.xx, and launch Kali. I can hear Windows ding as it disconnects the USB and attempts to connect it to the Kali VM. The icon at lower right corner of the VM environment is showing Realtek 8812AU wireless card. Kali launches...

and when I attempt to ping 8.8.8.8, Destination Host Unreachable! What the heck is going on with this??? If I click on the Network Manager and pull down wifi settings, it's all blank. But I can ping internal ip's such as 127.0.0.1, my gateway, and other machines. But I can't ping outside network.

Now, if I change USB slots, I can hear Windows disconnecting from OS and back into the VM, and now suddenly it sees the network. I can see the list of networks in Network Manager. But still get Destination Host Unreachable msgs!!!