Thread: Raspberry Pi Zero W 1.1 stuck at 700Mhz?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    TechMonster Guest

Raspberry Pi Zero W 1.1 stuck at 700Mhz? (Solved!)

Hi, I've just joined this forum, so excuse me if this isn't the right place to post this.
    So I've just got a Raspberry PI Zero W and installed Kali on it. At first I used Re4son's image, it worked flawlessly following this guide: https://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/ho...ero-w-0176819/ , but it felt very slow and Firefox was unusable. So I downloaded the rpi-one armel image off the offsec website and used this guide https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...?f=56&t=177530 to put it in a chroot and install the wifi-drivers and such. After booting into it and cat-ing the /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq and /sys/devices/cpu/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq I can see that both show 700... I have used `watch -n 1 cat (cpufreq file)` and launched a few stressing tasks, but it stays at 700... Upon launching firefox I can see the same issue with pages taking forever to load and the system being very slow to respond when that happens. Now the question is, is this because of the fact that my pi isn't scaling up to 1Ghz or is this normal? I have read about the scaling issue from here: http://forums.pimoroni.com/t/pi-zero...his-first/4117
    Just to check that there isnt a problem with my testing method, I grabbed the latest Raspian Lite image and booted it. I cat-ted the cpufreq file again and it showed 1000....Mhz. I used the same watch command as earlier and I could see the frequency change. So, is there anything I can do to fix this issue?

PS: Both the Re4son image and the offsec image were 2017.1 at the time of downloading and both were updated with "apt update && apt upgrade -y && apt full-upgrade -y && apt autoremove -y && apt autoclean". I have even tried installing the kali-linux-full metapackage. Still, no dice. It stays at 700Mhz. I also know the Raspberry Zero is a single core machine, but its unable to load a single page online. It loads for 5 minutes then freezes and unfreezes. Finally I have used the same command on my laptops while running lscpu side by side and I could see the frequency properly with both commands.
    Last edited by TechMonster; 2017-07-01 at 16:37. Reason: Fix title