Thread: Trouble Configuring Wireless Adapter

Trouble Configuring Wireless Adapter

Hi all,

First post on a Linux forum, finally had to post after being unable to solve my problem for several days now. I'm running the latest stable version of Kali Linux on a Raspberry Pi 3. I downloaded the ISO image of the ARM onto a micro SD card, booted up, changed my password, apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, resized my partition in gparted so I could install the full version, then apt-get install kali-linux-full. I installed everything through my wireless network, I'm assuming with the wireless card that comes with the RP3? All of that seemed to work just fine (except for an error I got when resizing the partition that didn't seem to affect my ability to install the full version of Kali) but now I'm having some difficulty getting Kali to recognize my wireless adapter so it can be set to Monitor mode. I know Kali supports my adapter because I checked the documentation and I've seen it in several demonstration videos. My questions are 1) am I missing any steps after a fresh install on an RP3, 2) why can't Kali recognize my wireless adapter, and 3) should I not have plugged my wireless adapter into my Windows 7 desktop and installed drivers? Sorry if the solution is simple, I am new to Linux.

Specs:

Raspberry Pi 3
    TP-Link WN722N 150Mbps High Gain Wireless Adapter
    Samsung 32 GB microSD

Thanks!

TechMonster Guest
    Hi, I'm quite sure the TP-LINK-TL-WN722N uses the Atheros AR9271 chipset? Have you tried finding drivers for that? Have you tried?
    Code:
     sudo apt install firmware-atheros
    Aside from this I'd look up TP-LINK-TL-WN722N driver installation videos?

Thanks for the reply!

I installed the drivers from the command above. I'm unaware of how to check to see if the drivers were installed correctly, or how to use those drivers to detect my adapter. I'm about to wipe my hard drive for the 50th time, re-image kali onto it and run the following commands. Am I on the right track?

Code:
    apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
    apt-get install gparted (cfdisk doesn't work even though I'd prefer to resize my partition with a tool from within the kali repository)
    gparted (resize my partition to install full version of kali)
    apt-get install kali-linux-full
    apt install firmware-atheros
    Will I be able to plug my adapter in and it be detected after I follow these steps and reboot? Thanks for helping the noob!

TechMonster Guest
    Ah. I did forget one thing. There are two versions of the TP-LINK-TL-WN722N. Please check your box underneath the barcode or ask the retailer you're purchasing from. If you buy one now, you'll probably end up with versions 2.0 which uses the realtek chipset. Now unfortunately this chipset has no driver for monitor mode. So any wifi-hacking will not be possible. However if you do have it then I can link you the driver, you can still use it as a normal adapter. But if you have version 1 or 1.1 then its pretty much plug and play. If I were you I'd go for a Alfa card instead .if you bought V2 then I'm afraid that nothing to do except use it normally or return it.

Edit:your commands look okay. If you want to see if the drivers installed correctly then there's many ways of achieving this.
    Code:
     lsusb
    will list connected usb devices.
    Code:
     lsmod
    or if you want a clearer picture type
    Code:
     airmon-ng
    to see all available wireless devices and their corresponding chipsets. Hope I helped. I got caught up in some work so I was away.
    Last edited by TechMonster; 2017-07-24 at 01:43.