Thread: How do i install my nvidia card in kali linux? I get stuck in boot. Is Kali docs old?

How do i install my nvidia card in kali linux? I get stuck in boot. Is Kali docs old?

Hi.
    I am kinda new to linux. But i am trying to learn more. I have a Msi GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X 11G graphics card.

And i am trying to get it to work with kali linux with no success. I tried this guide: https://docs.kali.org/general-use/in...-on-kali-linux

(I get stuck in boot after after this command, and when i try to reboot: apt install -y ocl-icd-libopencl1 nvidia-driver nvidia-cuda-toolkit.)

And after that i get stuck in boot, and i get something like this: IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready..

I do not know if i can bypass/repair that, or how. (I'm new and learning.) If someone has the answer to that i would appreciate it. If i do not need to start over again with a clean usb install of kali that is..

I would really appreciate help with how i install that card in Kali, the right way. The Kali docs might be outdated... Many thanks!

ps.
    I also found this link: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...up-wlan0-issue

I am also running a live usb with persistence, and that is where i am stuck. I can still boot live from the boot meny.

Awesome! Thanks!!!
    I might first try and follow the guide with: ***IF YOU STUCK IN BOOT SCREEN***

And if my card do not work after that, i might try that whole guide. It seems to be allot of job or setup in linux.. Good to learn. Thanks!

Edit. Thanks to you and that guide i could recover my system. =) Many thanks!!!
    I'm learning linux, slowly. I had to delete
    zz-live-config_xserver-xorg.conf... Also!

And the last one made me get into Kalix again. I have much to learn!
    Peace out
    Last edited by evolve; 2017-07-12 at 20:35.

Btw, i just started that guide. But after i run the:
    lspci | grep -E "VGA|3D"
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1b06 (rev a1)

I get my card. And i do not have hybrid Graphics i think..
    But i will try the guide anyways. Might work.

EDIT1:
    That guide is not working for me..
    My xorg.conf file is also empty since i deleted it when i was stuck in boot last time.

And nvidia-xconfig --query-gpu-info | grep 'BusID : ' | cut -d ' ' -f6

ERROR: Unable to query GPU information
    .. gives me that error.

And when i run:
    lsmod |grep -i nouveau
    nouveau 1544192 0
    mxm_wmi 16384 1 nouveau
    i2c_algo_bit 16384 1 nouveau
    drm_kms_helper 155648 1 nouveau
    ttm 98304 1 nouveau
    drm 360448 3 nouveau,ttm,drm_kms_helper
    wmi 16384 3 asus_wmi,mxm_wmi,nouveau
    video 40960 2 asus_wmi,nouveau
    button 16384 1 nouveau

.. I get that, and it's not empty like the guide says it should be. I think it's the wrong guide for me.. And my card. It's a new card... Thank anyways for your help. Appreciated!

(I still have nouveau after running these;
    echo -e "blacklist nouveau\noptions nouveau modeset=0\nalias nouveau off" > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf

update-initramfs -u && reboot)
    I have updated kali and have the latest version.
    Linux kali 4.9.0-kali3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.18-1kali1 (2017-04-04) x86_64 GNU/Linux

But i cant seem to update the headers more then this.
    Anyways. Any other ideas on how to install drivers for my card? Thanks

EDIT2:
    Also, xrandr is giving me this as the only resolution.

xrandr
    xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
    Screen 0: minimum 1024 x 768, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
    default connected primary 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
    1024x768 76.00*

I need to fix that with installing graphic drivers for my card. But it might be to new also.. But there should be working drivers somewhere. And some easy approach to install it.
    Last edited by maiki; 2017-07-13 at 09:30. Reason: Merge posts

I found this:
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...sible-really-/

>>> https://wheresmykeyboard.com/2016/06...016-1-rolling/ = Seems nice.

I might try that... But i have a msi nvidia card.. This card:
    https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/Ge...AMING-11G.html

And i need the right drivers for it. I want to try out gaming in kali.. Or hashcat. Mostly want to try and play games with wine, etc. Ubuntu would be easier, but i would like to try it in kali. Any more knowledge on here on this issue? Thanks allot.
    Last edited by evolve; 2017-07-13 at 20:37.

Windows 10 is the best for gaming . Wine is an emulator and emulators doesn't provide actual OS performance. They itself consume very high resources.

Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    Windows 10 is the best for gaming . Wine is an emulator and emulators doesn't provide actual OS performance. They itself consume very high resources.
    Hi. Thanks. That is true... But there are some gamers out there that have a nice setup!
    https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gamin...ting_to_linux/
    https://bufferoverflow.io/gpu-passthrough/

It would be cool to just try it out sometime, and the performance.. Would be nice to have drivers for a graphic card in kali, etc.
    But i also need it for hashcat, etc. But you are right that win10 is the best for gaming. I just have never tried it out in linux, that's all. But i could also use windows for gaming and kali for other stuff.
    I did not know there where a bit of work to set up my card in linux.. But i have it setup in windows, so that's cool. But linux is good to learn more, and if i could game with awesome performance in linux i would use linux as my primary/default system.

edit:
    Wine (originally an acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator") is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications on several POSIX-compliant operating systems, such as Linux, macOS, & BSD. Instead of simulating internal Windows logic like a virtual machine or emulator, Wine translates Windows API calls into POSIX calls on-the-fly, eliminating the performance and memory penalties of other methods and allowing you to cleanly integrate Windows applications into your desktop.

--
    Anyways. Do you know any other good guide for my card in kali? It's good to know/learn.
    Last edited by evolve; 2017-07-14 at 20:35.

The only working guide to install Nvidia drivers is that link which I already gave you. You should do some work around.

Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    The only working guide to install Nvidia drivers is that link which I already gave you. You should do some work around.
    Yeah, perhaps. But as i write i had issues with that work around, and my card is not an optimus card... And i have only found guides for optimus cards. So what work around are you pointing to? I have no rush.. I have kali on VMware also.
    But thought it would be cool to get that usb stick working later on, and try out some games, etc.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NeTTRaC3R; 2017-07-23 at 02:26.

Quote Originally Posted by NeTTRaC3R View Post
    Hi. Thanks. But the screenshot is way to small for me to read.
    Might had been good info if it was bigger. Thanks anyways. I'm gaming in windows at the moment. But might give linux a shot later on sometime.
    If you can post a high resolution screenshot that would help out more.