Thread: Kali not booting on Raspberry Pi

Kali not booting on Raspberry Pi

UPDATE : Problem solved, the micro SD card was defectuous I bought a new one and everything went smoothly, thanks for your help !

Hi,

I flashed Kali ARM image for Raspberry Pi 3 on my micro SD using Win32 Imager card and tried booting the card on it but nothing happened or some error screen appeared (on different boots without changing anything so it seems random). After this I tried different flashing methods for the image but it still won't work and I can't understand why.

Can someone help me please ? (ask for more informations if you need to)

This problem may already have bee nanswered but I couldn't find it on the forums...

Thanks
    Last edited by Waspberry Pee; 2017-07-26 at 13:46.

Imma say maybe u have an image for a different device... There is a page dedicated to arm devices. Or possibly a corrupted image... Download again and flash the new image.

TechMonster Guest
    Hello, like the previous post suggests, please re-download the image, then compare the SHA1SUM of the image with the one provided on the offsec website. Additionally, use Rufus

OK guys, thanks for your answers so :

-The image I used is Kali ARM image for Pasberry Pi 2 and 3 and my Rasp is a 3 so it looks ok (downloaded from here : https://www.offensive-security.com/k...ux-arm-images/ )

-As you suggested, the file might have been corrupted, so I tried re-downloading and re-flashing it using both Win32 Imager and Rufus, but the results were the same : black screen or error message (I can post a screen of this message if you're interested)

I still can't make it work
    Last edited by Waspberry Pee; 2017-07-23 at 14:11.

TechMonster Guest
    Ok, well please post the error messages otherwise its very hard to determine the exact nature of the problem you're facing.

Here's a screenshot of the error : this pic.jpg

The quality isn't good so the last line is : "end Kernel panic - not syncing: No working init found. Try passing init= option to kernel. See Linux Documentation/init.txt for guidance."
    I looked into docs but didn't really understand what it was about :/

I do not understand why this message pops up because if I read the micro SD card from the Rasp using Windows, there is an init file.

TechMonster Guest
    Someone else is facing a similar issue. check here

Thanks for the link, TechMonster. I think I've found the problem : I tried flashing different softwares on the same micro SD card, but it still wouldn't work so I used some diagnostic tools and it looks like the card is flawed so I'll just buy another one and try the whole thing again...

TechMonster Guest
    Good to hear its fixed now.