Thread: CPU Soft Lock

CPU Soft Lock

I am working on setting up a dual boot for a Kali 2017.1-i386 a laptop with a Nvidia GPU that is already running Win10Pro. I have successfully created the Live USB however when I go running it as a live USB (so I can run gparted later in the process) CPU #4 hits a soft lock and sticks the whole thing into a loop with no end. This source, recommended a microcode package for CentOS (the OS in orginal question). Does Kali have a similar microcode package and if so, how would I go about adding it to the LiveISO?

Many Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDisco View Post
    I am working on setting up a dual boot for a Kali 2017.1-i386 a laptop with a Nvidia GPU that is already running Win10Pro.
    Why are you using 32-bit version of kali when your system is of 64-bit? i386 is 32-bit version of kali and amd64 is of 64-bit.

The amd64 version would not properly write to drive using rufus or LinuxLiveUSB creator.

Edit 1: Error message reads: ISO image extraction failure.
    Last edited by DoctorDisco; 2017-07-19 at 20:05.

Since yesterday I've written amd64 version on my USB 2 times using rufus. I know there are some problems going on with the ISO image. Kali linux amd64 is no longer a hybrid image so Rufus is using DD mode to write data image on USB. Somehow it creates 3 partition on USB. One for kali which gets hidden, a small partition which appears to be full and the another empty partition. What i do is using disk management i combined the 2 partiton. I've run gparted so many times and i never faced this problem in this image.

Rufus log give me the following:

Code:
    Partition 1:
      Type: Hidden NTFS (0x17)
      Size: 2.6 GB (2793553920 bytes)
      Start Sector: 64, Boot: Yes
    Partition 2:
      Type: FAT12 (0x01)
      Size: 704 KB (720896 bytes)
      Start Sector: 5456224, Boot: No
    When I go to install or run as live usb it either refreshes the start screen (where you can select the option) or if I go the install route, completes the first few steps but is unable to locate the CD ROM (by which I assume it means the iso file)

Rufus is showing you 2 partition but there are actually 3. Partition 3 is hidden. You can use Disk management to make it visible. I would rather delete partition 2 and partition 3 and merge them and format 2+3 in FAT 32. This is what I often do after creating bootable USB.

The problem may not be related with this. That was just a recommendation for amd64 version. Boot your I386 USB into another PC and see if you face the same problem. I often use Gparted and never had this problem.

Recently intel has released a BIOS update which fixes hyperthreading of CPU. Have you updated it?
    Last edited by _defalt; 2017-07-20 at 11:27.