Thread: no valid rapl domains found in package 0 : reboot after kali linux upgrade

no valid rapl domains found in package 0 : reboot after kali linux upgrade

I just performed apt-get dist-upgrade from kali-2016.1. After rebooting I got above error which is halting the boot process. Any suggestions?

A google search indicates this might be due to power management. I'd disable any power management functions in the BIOS, reboot, and see if that helps.

If not, I'd reinstall Kali; leaving any power management functions in the BIOS disabled.

I searched and find out that many other people facing this problem with different Linux versions after an upgrade which I did, have checked the 'Enable PAE/NX' checkbox in System settings of virtualBox. It was already checked, I uncheck it and start vm again, the error got passed but not enough to successful load. It now generated 'Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes' and halted again. I recheck the checkbox mentioned previously and again start, same second error. I pressed Alt+F2, started a new terminal, type apt-get -f install [to find all broken dependencies], it gave me an error during unpackaging vlc***.deb file. I purged all vlc data by typing 'apt-get purge vlc', shutdown and restart again and now it has been loaded successfully.
    PS:
    One more thing I also unchecked Enable 3D Accelaration in Display settings of virtualBox.

Will Kali run in live mode on this machine?

Not tried, will it be a problem?

No, that's the beauty of Kali in live mode...nothing is persistent & it doesn't touch disk. Before installing on a new/unfamiliar machine, I always run Kali in live mode first; to check for problems. Most times, if live mode is ok, an install will be fine.

Thanks for the tip

No problem!