Kali Version

Architecture
    amd64

Hardware
    8,2 Macbook pro

Notable Software
    refit

Problem:

Hello everybody, I attempting to make a bootable live Kali USB drive for my Mac. I am aware that Apples Proprietary version of EFI makes any attempts to boot anything essentially a living ****. First I tried using DD from the terminal in OSX. The files were successfully copied over but my machine could not recognize nor boot from the device. I then reformatted the flash drive and attempted to use unetbootin, this also did not yield a bootable drive. Refit did show a USB device with linux but simply hangs when I select it. Next, I tried the instructions from this site http://forums.kali.org/showthread.ph...all-Kali-Linux. When I simply used the bootx64.efi file in addition to my grub.cfg (I used his provided code) I received an image not found error very similar to this:

rEFInd - Booting OS

Starting bootx64.efi
    Using load options ' '
    Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\grubx64.efi - B00000000000000E
    Failed to load image
    Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\MokManager.efi - B00000000000000E
    Failed to load image
    Error: Not Found returned from bootx64.efi

* Hit any key to continue *

Accepting this would just throw me back to the Refit screen. Following this attempt I added Mokmanager.efi and grubx64.efi to the /EFI/Boot/ folder as well. Now when I selected the bootx64.efi option in refit I would be taken to a grub shell and I am not familiar with navigating one of those so that held me up, selecting grubx64.efi would also drop me into a grub shell and Mokmanager would simply present me three options (I apologize but I do not remember them) and all three simply returned me to the refit screen. This entire time Refit also showed a linux device on USB but would hang if that was selected. Lastly, if it matters once I added bootx64.efi and Mokmanager.efi if I held in the option key the Mac bootloader would show a EFI device but would simply drop me to a grub shell if I selected it. Sorry if this is overly wordy, I appreciate any help that can be provided and together I hope maybe we can find a solution so that those of us foolish enough to by macs (like myself) can still enjoy this very useful OS.

2. i'm having the exact same problem, toshiba satellite (newer model). i'm gonna try to download those 2 files its complaining about from ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/rele...4/os/EFI/BOOT/ and put them in /efi/boot/ and see if it works - ill let you know...
    its time to recoup what belongs to the people

3. yeah, it didn't work, but it DID get me further, however, i could gave gotten there just as easily from copying the /efi/boot/ from debians net installer or xubuntu's installer. i get dropped to a grub prompt now, which is another topic, so, no need to continue it here. fwiw, i also copied debian's /boot/ directory to the kali usb, and actually got a boot screen, but, it was a debian menu with a kali background image - it didn't work. good luck, and check out that main thread here: http://forums.kali.org/showthread.ph...all-Kali-Linux
    its time to recoup what belongs to the people