Thread: No wireless extention wlan0 not showing

No wireless extention wlan0 not showing

Hello, this is 3rd day and i have seen various forums troubleshooting usb wifi card problem. My kali linux in vmware was working fine until i fully upgrade it. After the upgradation i cannot see my wireless card. There is no wireless driver but the internet is working i dont know how. I have tried to install compact-wireless drivers for linux, My Edimax drivers but all just failed. Whenever i try to make install driver make error generated "/lib/modules/4.9.0-kali4-amd64/kernel/drivers/net': No such file or directory" . I don't why this is happening because i have install the linux~headers, kali-wireless, and done the apt intall update && upgrade && dist-upgrade .
    iwconfig shows = eht0- no wireless extensions.
    I am not able to isnstall the driver there is always make error that lib/driver/net there is no such directory. also tried apt-get install realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms but nothing works. Help
    uname -a
    Linux kali 4.9.0-kali4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.30-2kali1 (2017-06-22) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    error.jpg

If you took a snapshot before the upgrade, I'd roll back to that, then try the upgrade again. If all was well before the upgrade, it must be something there that trashed your wireless connectivity.

Anything helpful in the output of dmesg or in /var/log?

just FYI, upgrade is not a command and dist-upgrade is not a command. Both are parameters to apt-get. Another thing, dist-upgrade already does upgrade, so upgrade is pointless.

The last error from make is useless, you need to post the FULL compilation log.

Quote Originally Posted by grid View Post
    If you took a snapshot before the upgrade, I'd roll back to that, then try the upgrade again. If all was well before the upgrade, it must be something there that trashed your wireless connectivity.

Anything helpful in the output of dmesg or in /var/log?
    Sorry, I don't have a snapshot. Also, i want to tell that after the upgrade when i reboot my kali i got stuck in "initram boot error" which i troubleshoot.
    I found this -
    [ 2.642138] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=7392, idProduct=7811
    [ 2.642141] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    [ 2.642143] usb 1-1: Product: 802.11n WLAN Adapter
    [ 2.642144] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Realtek
    [ 2.642146] usb 1-1: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001
    [ 2.753787] usb 2-2: new full-speed USB device number 3 using uhci_hcd
    [ 2.765794] usb 1-2: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-pci
    [ 2.898218] usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0e0f, idProduct=0002
    [ 2.898222] usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1, SerialNumber=0
    [ 2.898224] usb 2-2: Product: VMware Virtual USB Hub
    Also
    [ 149.831886] e1000: eth0 NIC Link is Down
    [ 153.862515] e1000: eth0 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: None
    Please tell me what should i do, as i i don't want to res-install.

Quote Originally Posted by abbiy View Post
    Hello, this is 3rd day and i have seen various forums troubleshooting usb wifi card problem. My kali linux in vmware was working fine until i fully upgrade it. After the upgradation i cannot see my wireless card. There is no wireless driver but the internet is working i dont know how. I have tried to install compact-wireless drivers for linux, My Edimax drivers but all just failed. Whenever i try to make install driver make error generated "/lib/modules/4.9.0-kali4-amd64/kernel/drivers/net': No such file or directory" . I don't why this is happening because i have install the linux~headers, kali-wireless, and done the apt intall update && upgrade && dist-upgrade .
    iwconfig shows = eht0- no wireless extensions.
    I am not able to isnstall the driver there is always make error that lib/driver/net there is no such directory. also tried apt-get install realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms but nothing works. Help
    uname -a
    Linux kali 4.9.0-kali4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.30-2kali1 (2017-06-22) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    error.jpg
    Each time kali gives me the "theres and update" banner in the top screen and i do the upgrade, after reboot the AWUS036 adapter isnt working.

This is how i have managed to fix it. Some steps maybe irrelevant but i do them to be sure and cause i dont actually completely understand linux:
    Here are the steps:
    sudo apt remove realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    apt install realtek-rtl88xxau-dkms

After those i reboot and the AWUS036 adapter is working again. This happened to me one hour ago and these steps worked again.

Cheers.