I had issues running Maltego in a Kali libvirt/KVM virtual machine. I found some fixes around the web that involved editing /usr/share/maltego/etc/maltego.conf and changing jdk_home or default_options, but none of these worked for me. I found the full command that was running with ps aux | grep maltego and ran it manually. This is the command:

Code:
/usr/lib/jvm/default-java/bin/java -Djdk.home=/usr/lib/jvm/default-java -classpath /usr/share/maltegoce/platform/lib/boot.jar:/usr/share/maltegoce/platform/lib/org-openide-modules.jar:/usr/share/maltegoce/platform/lib/org-openide-util.jar:/usr/share/maltegoce/platform/lib/org-openide-util-lookup.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/default-java/lib/dt.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/default-java/lib/tools.jar -Dnetbeans.dirs=/usr/share/maltegoce/maltego:/usr/share/maltegoce/groovy:/usr/share/maltegoce/ide:/usr/share/maltegoce/java:/usr/share/maltegoce/maltego-ui:/usr/share/maltegoce/maltego-core-platform: -Dnetbeans.home=/usr/share/maltegoce/platform -Xmx256m -XX:MaxPermSize=32m -Dnetbeans.logger.console=true -ea -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:HeapDumpPath=/root/.maltego/v4.0.11BT/var/log/heapdump.hprof -splash:/root/.maltego/v4.0.11BT/var/cache/splash.png org.netbeans.Main --cachedir /root/.maltego/v4.0.11BT/var/cache --userdir /root/.maltego/v4.0.11BT --branding maltego --locale en:US
I don't have the full error output anymore, but it was very similar to the "CopyDrop" error mentioned in this Stackoverflow question: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...va-on-centos-7

What fixed this for me was shutting down the Kali VM, editing the domain's XML with virsh edit kali01 and changing <model type='cirrus' ram='65536'... to <model type='qxl' ram='65536'.... It seems there's some issue with the default of cirrus. Hopefully this is helpful to someone else running Kali in qemu/KVM.