I was trying to crack a shadow file for a lab machine in the PWK course when hashcat said I couldn't use the mesa-opencl-icd driver. I then followed these official instructions from Kali in an attempt to install a NVIDIA driver for my GEFORCE 940mx with which I could use hashcat:
https://docs.kali.org/general-use/in...-on-kali-linux

I received a pop-up warning during the install describing a kernel mismatch with a nouveau driver (or something like that), then upon reboot I got a grey " something went wrong" screen with a logout button.

To troubleshoot, I started by following these instructions:
http://www.adonespitogo.com/articles...a-on-kali-2.0/

After about a dozen tries, I feel confident that no amount of "apt-remove nvidia" commands will save me. Once I got apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade working fully again, I tried the official kali instructions again. I now seem to have nvidia driver 375.82 installed. Hashcat also seems to be working, as I was able to perform a benchmark test and crack the hashes as I had originally intended, however I still can't log into kali graphically.

The "gdm3" command hangs indefinitely when I attempt to run it.

I also found a kali forum thread that told me to check the /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf file, which currently reads:

# GDM configuration storage
#
# See /usr/share/gdm/gdm.schemas for a list of available options.

[daemon]
# Enabling automatic login
AutomaticLoginEnable = true
AutomaticLogin = root

# Enabling timed login
# TimedLoginEnable = true
# TimedLogin = user1
# TimedLoginDelay = 10

# Reserving more VTs for test consoles (default is 7)
# FirstVT = 9

[security]
AllowRoot = true

[xdmcp]

[greeter]
# Only include selected logins in the greeter
# IncludeAll = false
# Include = user1,user2

[chooser]

[debug]
# More verbose logs
# Additionally lets the X server dump core if it crashes
# Enable = true
Kali is installed as the main OS on a laptop. Any recommendations as to how I should proceed would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much in advance!